Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Is there a market for this product? Especially Poker Runners!
    How many people pull there boats long distance for poker runs, and started off with a clean boat and by the time they got to there destination the boat is trashed, even maybe chipped?

I have the ability and technology to make a boat cover that would fit like a second skin. It would not move or flap in the wind and would cover the entire boat including the bottom down to the bunks on the trailer. Would be super easy to put on with no poles or snaps, nothing to come loose. And at some point we would be able to print the same graphics that are on the boat, on the cover.

This would not be a cheap cover, but would last a long time and when you uncover the boat it would be as clean as it was when you left for your trip.

No more cleaning the boat all over again at the boat ramp.

Whats your thoughts?

2. Collapse Details

In this economy, price would be a major factor....what is the novelty? is it the material? Covers can be made now similar to what you describe, I've had one but made of canvas. Was a real pain to put on and take off. I would be interested if the price is right. Realistically what would one cost for a Top Gun?

3. Collapse Details

I don't know of anyone that makes one that can be pulled at highway speeds without flapping and tearing up your boat. Or even one that covers the bottom of the boat as well.

When you factor in how much a paint job cost, whats $100 per foot? So for a 38 top gun your looking at $3800

4. Collapse Details

Sounds like a real good idea ,I like the no snaps.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    It's definitely a nice thing to have. If you have problems with rocks & debris being thrown from the dually truck, or the back of ANY truck, this makes a HUGE difference.

I had 2 made last Winter by Appearance Product in Grand Rapids. They used the super soft "felt" that's used on the windsheild portion of my cockpit cover, which covers the quarter canopies without worries of scratching them. They easily attach to the forward cleats, the trailer, & the forward lifting rings of the boat, as well as fit very snug, eliminating flapping. They also made them without using any pieces that could damage the paint in ANY way, should one somehow come loose.

There's one for each sponson on my boat. Both of them are extra thick, and are even matched to the red in my paint. We went through a couple of rain storms, as well as rain in some cities that had laid sand & salt down previously for ice & snow. The sections they covered, were some of the cleanest parts of the boat when we returned home.

As great of a job as they did on the covers, the price was eyepopping, and I mean on the bargain side. I would absolutely recommend giving Appearance Products a shout for at least a quote. They sure are worthwhile, if you care about your paint, gellcoat, etc.

6. Collapse Details

The only reason this will work is becuase I have the equipment to make a 3D model of any kind of boat, and it will be accurate with 1000's of an inch. The covers would all be made in auto=cad, and cut by computer. The panels would follow the exact bodylines of the boat including windshield lines, so there would be no room for movement. As far as I know I'm the only one with this technology, I have invested over $150,000 and had many of the programs written for me from companies out of the country.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post
    It's definitely a nice thing to have. If you have problems with rocks & debris being thrown from the dually truck, or the back of ANY truck, this makes a HUGE difference.

I had 2 made last Winter by Appearance Product in Grand Rapids. They used the super soft "felt" that's used on the windsheild portion of my cockpit cover, which covers the quarter canopies without worries of scratching them. They easily attach to the forward cleats, the trailer, & the forward lifting rings of the boat, as well as fit very snug, eliminating flapping. They also made them without using any pieces that could damage the paint in ANY way, should one somehow come loose.

There's one for each sponson on my boat. Both of them are extra thick, and are even matched to the red in my paint. We went through a couple of rain storms, as well as rain in some cities that had laid sand & salt down previously for ice & snow. The sections they covered, were some of the cleanest parts of the boat when we returned home.

As great of a job as they did on the covers, the price was eyepopping, and I mean on the bargain side. I would absolutely recommend giving Appearance Products a shout for at least a quote. They sure are worthwhile, if you care about your paint, gellcoat, etc.

But did it cover the entire boat? or just the front and the top?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by marine concepts View Post
    The only reason this will work is becuase I have the equipment to make a 3D model of any kind of boat, and it will be accurate with 1000's of an inch. The covers would all be made in auto=cad, and cut by computer. The panels would follow the exact bodylines of the boat including windshield lines, so there would be no room for movement. As far as I know I'm the only one with this technology, I have invested over $150,000 and had many of the programs written for me from companies out of the country.
    That sounds REALLY neat. Did you do the ones for Dave Scott & his Bacardi/Bud Select boats a few years back? Those were literally matched EXACTLY like the paintjobs. One of my best buds bought one of the Bud Select boats, and I meant to have him ask Dave BEFORE paying, if he got one of those covers in the deal, lol. He didn't end up with one!

9. Collapse Details

But did it cover the entire boat? or just the front and the top?
    No no, just the front 3rd, to quarter of the boat, which is what will make yours a more complete product than what I had made. I only needed the front portion of my boat covered, due to the angle that the debris causes problems on my particular boat.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post
    That sounds REALLY neat. Did you do the ones for Dave Scott & his Bacardi/Bud Select boats a few years back? Those were literally matched EXACTLY like the paintjobs. One of my best buds bought one of the Bud Select boats, and I meant to have him ask Dave BEFORE paying, if he got one of those covers in the deal, lol. He didn't end up with one!

No, that was just a dust cover. This is totally differant. This would be two covers, the inside of the cover would be made entirely of a felt cotton mix, and the outside cover would be a vinyl so it would be water proof. Sewn together at the bottom, so it would be one cover inside of another.

11. Collapse Details

how about sponsoring a 388 skater on the race circuit, and we will give feed back for the thousands of miles of hands on real world testing... the testing will begin in april and the boat will be in lake ozark in a couple weeks for scanning....

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    how about sponsoring a 388 skater on the race circuit, and we will give feed back for the thousands of miles of hands on real world testing... the testing will begin in april and the boat will be in lake ozark in a couple weeks for scanning....
    Only if I'm driving the boat! And guess what......it will win!

2006 World Champion Speed Racer

13. Collapse Details

Rubbing is racing.

Shane tell Ray to get out his checkbook.....its worth it.
    Forget Lightspeed go straight to LUDICROUS SPEED!!

14. Collapse Details

ttt
    Some days your the fist and some days your the face!

15. Collapse Details

Warranty?

Warranty if used for a storage cover as well?

Edit- following cover is NOT a product from Randy: I paid $2K for a 33 foot center console cover- PITA to put on, doesn't shed water very well (even after a few gallons of 303 fabric guard sprayed on it), heavy, bulky, zippers are heavy duty but have had 2 out of the 4 re-stitched so far, since it is a CC I have to use a support pole in the middle up front which has been re-enforced a few times already from popping through, etc....

Semi-interested, how would it work with a CC? It's like an upside down umbrella.

I love your product:

http://www.worldsbestboatcover.com/MarineConcepts2/
    Last edited by MarylandMark; 02-27-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: clarify current cover not one of Randys product

16. Collapse Details

especially if we had THE motors

probably take a little more than a boat cover to pull that one off....

but in comparison about $ 87 per trip to shrink the boat ( no labor of coarse) times two for each race....

thats 21 races/poker runs so it wouldnt take long to justify the cost of it... be interesting to see one...

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    Warranty?

I paid $2K for a 33 foot center console cover- PITA to put on, doesn't shed water very well (even after a few gallons of 303 fabric guard sprayed on it), heavy, bulky, zippers are heavy duty but have had 2 out of the 4 re-stitched so far, since it is a CC I have to use a support pole in the middle up front which has been re-enforced a few times already from popping through, etc....

Semi-interested, how would it work with a CC? It's like an upside down umbrella.

I love your product:

Here is a picture of my CC, this was the first cover I made in auto-cad, They fit better now after doing so many since then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SANY0138.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    Warranty?

I paid $2K for a 33 foot center console cover- PITA to put on, doesn't shed water very well (even after a few gallons of 303 fabric guard sprayed on it), heavy, bulky, zippers are heavy duty but have had 2 out of the 4 re-stitched so far, since it is a CC I have to use a support pole in the middle up front which has been re-enforced a few times already from popping through, etc....

I love your product:

Randy's covers are as good as it gets! And no PITA to put on or take off. My 10 yr old could cover or uncover a 50' Carver in about 5 maybe 8 minutes assuming he could reach everything! I was amazed when I saw one in person at the time one could save. Not to mention the time in cleaning it could save you!
    Some days your the fist and some days your the face!

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    especially if we had THE motors

probably take a little more than a boat cover to pull that one off....

but in comparison about $ 87 per trip to shrink the boat ( no labor of coarse) times two for each race....

thats 21 races/poker runs so it wouldnt take long to justify the cost of it... be interesting to see one...

Shane, you of all people should know my racing experience. The fastest boat doesn't always win.

Having raced Formula Cars for 3 years, setting 3 track records, several Championship Wins. Being 4th in the World at the Jet Ski World Finals at the age of 30, without sponcers and building my own engines. Also racing ProMod Drag cars for years. I think you saying THE MOTORS is totally wrong and a slap in the face.

My boat was not the fastest, and if you look at all the videos from the whole year, we never got a good start, many times we where the last one to the first turn, but yet we always moved up into the top 4 at every race. Yes I would get penalties for hitting someone, I don't understand why?!?

Anyway, even at the Worlds, we were not the first to the turn, but we did out drive the other boats. At the end of the day there is a fast line on any track, and a good driver knows where that line is, how to work the apex to keep the momentum up in the turns, how to read the water and the on coming waves. A good driver never looks where he is but looks 50 to 100 yards ahead. You must read and sometimes just follow other racers to learn how they set up for turns, what there habits are, and know when to strike!

You must know the limits of your boat and equipment. Little Speed would only run that fast with the props turned out, and on a cat with props turned out its very important that you balance the boat on top of a bubble or you will scrub 10 miles per hour real quick! That is something you can only feel with the seat of your pants.

Also don't forget I had one of the best throttlemen in the business, Little R and I made one heck of a team. We also spent weeks upon weeks practicing and trying every setup in the book, changing the bottom, moving weight, drive height, props, you name it we tried it.

So to say I had THE MOTORS is dis-respectful, besides Mercury sealed them before the boat was even taken out of the water, then taken to Lake X for tear down, and everything was legal because I didn't change a thing with the motors.

And lastly, I don't care if I was racing a shopping cart, I'll get it to the winners circle!

20. Collapse Details

registered
    Great response Randy!!! Love it!!!

It was nice meeting you last weekend on the poker run.

Craig