1. Collapse Details
    California merc 496 ho difference?
    I recently purchased a boat in California with twin early 2003 Merc 496Ho smartcraft equipped engines. Has Mercruiser made any changes to this powerplant to comply with California emissions? If so, do they affect the performance of this engine in any way? Thanks

2. Collapse Details

Why would you even care, your engines are 2003 and so your boat is exempt unless the boat is a 2010 model with a 2010 hull number.
    Yes, the 2009-2010 496 Mercruisers are not avialble for sale in California starting back in August 2009 and Merc will only sell the new Merc 502 Mag and HO's in California with the catalytic converter exhaust systems, that meet CARB requirements.
    Have fun with your 2003 engines and if you want to add more performance just contact us here at Raylar and we can help with your upgrades or power addtion needs when the time is right.

Best Regards,
    Ray @ Raylar

3. Collapse Details

Ok, stupid question here. I just bought a 2003 Advantage Victory 32. It has twin 496s in it and it runs pretty good with 28s. It was a bank repo and the engine cowlings were missing. It only has 50 hours on it and the motors look brand new. My question is this: how do I tell if it is a Mag or HO? It too states it meets CARB emissions regs.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Victory32 View Post
    My question is this: how do I tell if it is a Mag or HO? .
    Do you have your engine serial number???

5. Collapse Details

Yes I do. It's at home but I will post them when I get home.

6. Collapse Details

Got busy last night and didn't get a chance to post. Here are the #s: OM628364 & OM628221 . I was told they were Mags, but without the cowling, I don't know what to look for.
    Last edited by Victory32; 08-20-2010 at 09:35 AM.

7. Collapse Details

Got busy last night and didn't get a chance to post. Here are the #s: OM628364 & OM628221 . I was told they were Mags, but without the cowling, I don't know what to look for.
    There is a white label on the ECM that will state if it is a MAG or MAG HO. There should also be a blue sticker on the heat exchanger that states what the motor is and when it was built. At least mine has all that (built in Sept. '03).

8. Collapse Details

Thanks, I will check it this weekend.

9. Collapse Details

OM628364 is a 496 MAG STANDARD 496 BRAVO MPI, Engine Manufacture Date was on: 03/18/2003

OM628221 is also a 496 MAG STANDARD 496 BRAVO MPI, Engine Manufacture Date was on: 03/06/2003.

They are not HO's.

Hope this helps, Good luck.

10. Collapse Details

Thanks, that's what I was figuring but just did not know for sure. Now I do! Oh well, I'm still putting on two HO cowlings! HA! I got two friends that have done the Raylar upgrade on their HO and have the cowlings just sitting around. These mags do just fine for me.... for now.