Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New Transmissions showed up! BADDD!!!!!!!
    My new trannies showed up. They were made by Jim Lee and Tyson. The are very impressive!! Hopefully this will be the answer to getting rid of those pain in the a$$ crash boxes!! If they hold up I will be a very happy guy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails islamorada 010.jpg   islamorada 015.jpg   islamorada 011.jpg  

islamorada 012.jpg   islamorada 013.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

What's the scoop on the transmissions. Specs etc.

3. Collapse Details

Don't know all the particulars. Supposed to hold up to 2000 hp. They have 14 plates. jim Lee or Tyson can give the specs. Jim said they will hold up to my powr, i told him to build them.

4. Collapse Details

Cool!!!

5. Collapse Details

Two speed Gino?

I see the solenoids electric shift?

6. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Billet Aluminum Housings?
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

7. Collapse Details

E Dock
    The following is per Tyson from another location on the internet:

the transmissions are Speed shift marine transmissions... it is me and Jim Lee's company...

They are not a normal marine transmission with an extra clutch or two,,,, and they are not a 1970's power glide with an adapter to make it bolt up to a marine bell housing...

these transmissions have been in the works since 2003 when I had two speed powerglides in my boat and kept breaking them.. I bought the best transmission parts money could buy (tci stright cut 12 dp Planetaries ,,,10 clutch pack,, ect..) and even with all the goodies they still broke every time I took it out.. so after several tries with them and bams I just went direct drive with the u-joint hooked directly to the crankshaft.... and you guys thought crash boxes were bad... try no neutral and no reverse... anyway.... I decided then that I wanted to build a two speed transmission for my boat so it would be usable again... and now six years later we finally have them available for purchase... there were a few years of how to fit what we wanted in the same package size as a bam so they would be a direct replacement. then we built some and put them in Jim's 46 skater a year ago.. we have made some changes to the valve bodies.... the first ones we built were fully electronic shifted with a toggle switch .... and then we built a manual shift for it... so the ones that are in jims and gino's are manual shift with your shifters from first, neutral, and reverse just like a bam, and then when you want to go to second there is a toggle switch that switches both of them at the same time..
    we have tested these extensively in the 46 skater in rough seas leaving the throttle on the dash trying to break them, and so far have never broke any parts in them, there are some changes to oil passage ways and cooling passages to keep the temp down but the same internal parts are still the same ones we originally built them with...

as far as horespower rating for them.... we have ran them on our dyno with an 1800 hp engine and they did not slip... the internal parts should handle 2500 hp... but I will not be able to test that hp for a couple more months till we get my new engines done.... the good thing about every single part being made in-house is that if we do put bigger power to it and have a problem we will just make it stronger..

we have made all the different input shafts... the standard bam small spline,,,, the short crash box big spline,,,, the long crash box smaller spline...

technical specs...

first gear 1.5 to 1 good for docking and getting on plane without putting alot of low rpm load on the engine, keeps engine from dying when you are going in and out of gear...
    and perfect for turbo engines that would have trouble being over proped and not being able to get on plane...

second gear is 1 to 1 when its in high gear all the internals are spinning the same direction... it basically locks the input shaft to the output shaft,, the only thing drawing power is the oil pump to put pressure on the clutch pack... so there is so little horsepower draw that we could not measure it at 6000 rpm. I would assume less then 5 hp...

reverse is 2 to 1 which is good to not have the engine die when it goes in and out of gear but props do not work well spinning backwards because they were not designed to work that way, and the prop wash hitting the back of the boat... but they work fine and if you need to backup faster you may need to rev the engine alittle.. a crash box has the same problem of being lower geared in reverse...

Length: 12"
    width: 12"
    height:13"
    weight: 110 lbs
    $12,000 each

available as electric shift or manual shift..

8. Collapse Details

the good thing about every single part being made in-house is that if we do put bigger power to it and have a problem we will just make it stronger..
    VP of Operations, GLOC's Fastest Pontoon 2009

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ILMORdude View Post
    Billet Aluminum Housings?
    yep,, the cases started out as big blocks of billet 6061 t6 aluminum

and a bunch of maching later you end up with this..

10. Collapse Details

two speed transmission billet cases...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails billet cases.jpg   billet cases 2.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

If anyone is interested in some, we have 8 of the first 10 we made sold so we have two more available right now, and will start maching more in a couple months when I get caught up with some other projects..

Tyson
    417-437-0665

12. Collapse Details

Very nice Tyson. Can't wait to see one in person.
    Eddie

13. Collapse Details

congrats Tyson..looks great...now is that other project candy red and 47' long..My son still has that pic on his wall..daddy, daddy when you gonna get that boat..LOL..

14. Collapse Details

Nice job!

Also I think Gino was a perfect one to try the trannie on. If anyone will break one it'll be him. Not necessarily abuse just bad luck.
    So if Gino is still running these in a year, you know there the real deal.

15. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ThrottleUp Props's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat View Post
    two speed transmission billet cases...
    They are BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Julie
    When you feel the need for speed...Throttle Up!

GO FAST or GO HOME!

16. Collapse Details

Made in the USA by Americans.Very nice

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BraceYourself View Post
    Nice job!

Also I think Gino was a perfect one to try the trannie on. If anyone will break one it'll be him. Not necessarily abuse just bad luck.
    So if Gino is still running these in a year, you know there the real deal.
    Jim is not a bad test dummy either:-) Now if we could come up with some equally resistant drives:-(
    Somebody's STUPID

18. Collapse Details

Would love to see a video of a two speed boat in action.

19. Collapse Details

Now when are we going to see the little red Turbo motors
    Cant wait for SPRING!!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Spine Tingler View Post
    Jim is not a bad test dummy either:-) Now if we could come up with some equally resistant drives:-(
    they are out there...Arnesons...work awesome on cats..