Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I go around 5K using the mid-grade oil. They call it "blue" at the place I go to, think it is Valvoline.

100 miles a year towing a 9K boat, if that on both numbers; other than that just a daily driver.

2. Collapse Details

I was thinking about this the other day. I change the oil (9 qts) in my 560sl in the spring and fall. I put 1,000 miles on that car a year. That's only 500 miles per oil change.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

3. Collapse Details

I change the oil in my Dmax every fall with Amsoil. BUT, that once a years is only about 3k miles...

4. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    3000k is a little premature on oil change intervals for the 7.3 or 6.0 liter diesels, my master certified diesel tech and myself don't change the oil that often. Ford recommends 7500 mile service intervals under normal operating
    conditions and 5000 miles intervals for sever duty applications. But what the hay does Ford know????
    I have my master status as well I change mine every 2500 to 3k mine is a daily driver. just had a 7.3 in yesterday that wont start cold due to stuck injectors. It is a 550 concrete truck and does not get the chance to get proper maintinence. I also have a truck that comes in every 3k for an oil change that has 400k on it and runs better than most 7.3 trucks with 100k on them. Keeping the detergent level high in the oil is the best defense for keeping the spool valves clean in the injectors. Which during prior approval the first question they ask when dealing with stuck injectors is "has the maintinence records been recorded". You can go 7500. if it were mine i would never go past 5000. Thats just my opinion. And you can go out to my 6.0 with 82k on it not plug it in and start it at 10degrees. no miss no smoke i could just put it in gear and drive away. My injectors are cleeeeeaaaaannnnn. Not trying to get in a pissing match here. Ford will honor all warranty at the 7500 mile interval. Rough service 5k. I just plan on keeping my truck for a long time and oil is cheaper than injectors and metal.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

5. Collapse Details

I change my D max at 5k max. The life still is 50% or so but i wont wait.
    But the last time the oil life went to 0 and I only had 3K on it go figure!!
    anybody have any idea what would cause that?

6. Collapse Details

I saw some stuff on the diesel place about engine hours resetting with low voltage conditions. (which would be a DIC connection) Have you had any electric anomalies, low batts, new batts... unhook batts?
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    I have my master status as well I change mine every 2500 to 3k mine is a daily driver. just had a 7.3 in yesterday that wont start cold due to stuck injectors. It is a 550 concrete truck and does not get the chance to get proper maintinence. I also have a truck that comes in every 3k for an oil change that has 400k on it and runs better than most 7.3 trucks with 100k on them. Keeping the detergent level high in the oil is the best defense for keeping the spool valves clean in the injectors. Which during prior approval the first question they ask when dealing with stuck injectors is "has the maintinence records been recorded". You can go 7500. if it were mine i would never go past 5000. Thats just my opinion. And you can go out to my 6.0 with 82k on it not plug it in and start it at 10degrees. no miss no smoke i could just put it in gear and drive away. My injectors are cleeeeeaaaaannnnn. Not trying to get in a pissing match here. Ford will honor all warranty at the 7500 mile interval. Rough service 5k. I just plan on keeping my truck for a long time and oil is cheaper than injectors and metal.
    My truck runs the same way with my oil change intervals with 160K on it, but its time for a new one! Luv the new body style! No pissing match here but theres more than 1 way to skin a cat

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I don't know what is best. But the guys that I know are in the 4k-5k range. I guess they tow alot. Maybe your master mechanic doesn't. That would work out. Chris drives an Excursion with a 7.3 Powerstroke like some people drive a Kia. I'll bet he changes sooner than 7500. But I have no dog in the fight, and everybody does their own thing. I think that being a boater and building new power before has made me a conservative oil changer. When I change my oil in my Malibu at 3k, the oil life light (from GM) thinks that it has 2000 miles left, but that's ok. I'll err on the side of caution. Plus, I keep my vehicles a long time and this plan (early rather than late) has worked great for me.
    Different strokes different folks. I don't keep my vehicles long being in the car biz, doesn't make sense for me to keep them long!

9. Collapse Details

I don't know what is best. But the guys that I know are in the 4k-5k range. I guess they tow alot. Maybe your master mechanic doesn't. That would work out. Chris drives an Excursion with a 7.3 Powerstroke like some people drive a Kia. I'll bet he changes sooner than 7500. But I have no dog in the fight, and everybody does their own thing. I think that being a boater and building new power before has made me a conservative oil changer. When I change my oil in my Malibu at 3k, the oil life light (from GM) thinks that it has 2000 miles left, but that's ok. I'll err on the side of caution. Plus, I keep my vehicles a long time and this plan (early rather than late) has worked great for me.
    I went with 5K oil change intervals on my DMax. I changed the external tranny filter and fuel filter every 7,500 miles. I had my torsion bars cranked 5 full turns to help level the truck.

10. Collapse Details

Different strokes different folks.
    Yep.
    No pizzing contest here either.

11. Collapse Details

Yep.
    No pizzing contest here either.
    quit spending so much time here and get that Apache ready for the water

Just bustin stones , how close are you????

12. Collapse Details

quit spending so much time here and get that Apache ready for the water

Just bustin stones , how close are you????
    When I put it away for the winter the new tank was done but the bilge still had to be painted. New power is on stands. Rounding up a couple of manifolds now, and next month I am moving it to a place inside that I can paint while the new power gets dyno'd.

13. Collapse Details

When I put it away for the winter the new tank was done but the bilge still had to be painted. New power is on stands. Rounding up a couple of manifolds now, and next month I am moving it to a place inside that I can paint while the new power gets dyno'd.
    Just around the corner! Good luck getting it finished up!

14. Collapse Details

Just around the corner! Good luck getting it finished up!
    Thanks! I have spring fever so bad I am going nuts.

15. Collapse Details

Just curious who did the new power for u and whos going to dyno it for u???

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by kvscarab38 View Post
    Just curious who did the new power for u and whos going to dyno it for u???
    Got any dyno ideas to throw in the mix?
    Last edited by fund razor; 02-23-2010 at 09:02 PM.

17. Collapse Details

Thanks! I have spring fever so bad I am going nuts.
    thats why you need a winter hobby to keep you busy, we have been having
    fun on sled all winter long, when there was snow of course

on the spring fever note, I am starting to get the boating itch myself but there's snow on the ground now so I will keep riding

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I change my D max at 5k max. The life still is 50% or so but i wont wait.
    But the last time the oil life went to 0 and I only had 3K on it go figure!!
    anybody have any idea what would cause that?
    yeah you forgot to reset the oil change "clock" so 5K w/no reset + 3K = 0 Oil Life.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    yeah you forgot to reset the oil change "clock" so 5K w/no reset + 3K = 0 Oil Life.
    The chevy dlr changed it so you are probably right!!
    They tried to say my excess idleing warm up. Shoulda known better.

20. Collapse Details

I noticed this on mine not long ago. Put new batteries on it in the fall. Some where during that time the engine hours reset, but it does not bother me just does not match the mileage which sucks. mine is a 2005. I forget if that motor is the LBZ or LLY I get confused.

I saw some stuff on the diesel place about engine hours resetting with low voltage conditions. (which would be a DIC connection) Have you had any electric anomalies, low batts, new batts... unhook batts?