Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Here is the tank: (also courtesy news.pickuptrucks.com)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6a00d83451b3c669e20120a5426f88970c-800wi.jpg  
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

2. Collapse Details

Maybe 3-5 bucks a gallon for the juice. (32.5 percent industrial urea and 67.5 percent deionized water) The tank holds 5.5, so saying you had a half gallon left when you refilled, that would be about 20 bucks to fill it every 5000 miles (less when towing according to GM, as the injection levels depend on exhaust levels to keep the mix of ammonia (the by-product of exhaust heat on the urea) and emissions correct.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    me no see nothing
    Sounds like a quote from the chinese man that you love, but I digress.

4. Collapse Details

Might as well show the engine too, huh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6a00d83451b3c669e201157048de3d970c-800wi.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

I guess I would rather have a DEF tank and a cleaner emissions truck than have the Euroweenies and Enviroweenies take the truck away altogether.

6. Collapse Details

At least mere mortals have access to it vs having to take it to the dealer.

7. Collapse Details

Hope it has a heater cause the DEF freezes at -7 degrees C, 19 degrees F, according to the internet.

8. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    yes, the def will freeze at that temp so the tank is heated on the ford. Also it is corrosive so when you cycle the key to the off postition the pump reverses adn draws the pee pee out of the lines so they do not corrode and leak. there are warnings all over the barrel saying it will eat paint also. so dont spill! I go to training on the ford march 10th and will have alot of downtime in a hotel room between classes. so i will let you guys know all that i learn.

Comment on that picture above about the engine: When i went to new model training on the 6.4 the instructor said " you could stand on the radiator support and take a piss and no matter which way you aim your stream will never hit clear ground. It will hit something before it hits the ground.... So, you are welcome from Ford motor company" and we all laughed. The 6.4 is 10 pounds of crap in a 1 pound bag.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    The new 2011 ford... If the pee pee tank goes empty the truck will warn you a few times then it will only idle. To force you to refill the tank. Our interval is supposed to also be in that 5k range. we just got our first 55 gallon drum of it.
    I have been told 7500 mile intervals to coincide with REGULAR oil change intervals. Normal, driving and idling conditions

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    I have been told 7500 mile intervals to coincide with REGULAR oil change intervals. Normal, driving and idling conditions
    I don't know of anybody who uses one of these for "normal" driving and I don't know anybody who goes 7,500 miles between oil changes.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I don't know of anybody who uses one of these for "normal" driving and I don't know anybody who goes 7,500 miles between oil changes.
    I do as my daily driver and plenty of Fords come into the dealership driven
    the same way.

12. Collapse Details

so are you saying that 7500 mile interval is to soon or too long??????

13. Collapse Details

I still don't like the idea of torsion bars on a HD truck, I agree the ride is nice but man when those fail.....ugly... had it happen in a small truck once... I would hate to be pulling my boat and have it happen.

20,000 rating on SRW??? not sure I would pull that much on SRW...
    35 Cigarette Mistress

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FULL FORCE View Post
    I still don't like the idea of torsion bars on a HD truck, I agree the ride is nice but man when those fail.....ugly... had it happen in a small truck once... I would hate to be pulling my boat and have it happen.

20,000 rating on SRW??? not sure I would pull that much on SRW...
    Kind of like some of the half ton trucks claiming towing ability to 10K, not pulling my boat or with my family in the truck!

15. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    If i am correct in assuming that you have a 7.3 or 6.0 that is waaayyyy too long. 3k motorcraft oil and filter. It keeps the injectors happy. That high pressure oil system beats the crap out of oil. Oil is way cheaper than injectors.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

16. Collapse Details

I didn't say it was too soon or too long. The Ford Tech answered that.
    I said that I don't know anybody who goes that long. But if you do, I guess I know this one guy who goes that long.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FULL FORCE View Post
    Don't pull your boat with a small truck.

No, seriously... I have been reading your thoughts on the torsion bars so I went over to The Diesel Place where 106,000 members with duramax's are. I searched "torsion bar" and in hundreds of threads, there was nothing about a torsion bar on a HD truck going. Lots of thoughts about how far to crank them when you get bigger rims though. Not that it isn't an issue, but it doesn't seem to make the hit parade of GM gripes. (Like the "pump rub," the tranny cooler lines, etc.)

18. Collapse Details

I didn't say it was too soon or too long. The Ford Tech answered that.
    I said that I don't know anybody who goes that long. But if you do, I guess I know this one guy who goes that long.
    3000k is a little premature on oil change intervals for the 7.3 or 6.0 liter diesels, my master certified diesel tech and myself don't change the oil that often. Ford recommends 7500 mile service intervals under normal operating
    conditions and 5000 miles intervals for sever duty applications. But what the hay does Ford know????

19. Collapse Details

3000k is a little premature on oil change intervals for the 7.3 or 6.0 liter diesels, my master certified diesel tech and myself don't change the oil that often. Ford recommends 7500 mile service intervals under normal operating
    conditions and 5000 miles intervals for sever duty applications. But what the hay does Ford know????
    I don't know what is best. But the guys that I know are in the 4k-5k range. I guess they tow alot. Maybe your master mechanic doesn't. That would work out. Chris drives an Excursion with a 7.3 Powerstroke like some people drive a Kia. I'll bet he changes sooner than 7500. But I have no dog in the fight, and everybody does their own thing. I think that being a boater and building new power before has made me a conservative oil changer. When I change my oil in my Malibu at 3k, the oil life light (from GM) thinks that it has 2000 miles left, but that's ok. I'll err on the side of caution. Plus, I keep my vehicles a long time and this plan (early rather than late) has worked great for me.

20. Collapse Details

I go 5-7K on my 1500's with 4.3 motors and 6-8K on my duramax (holds 10 qts.).