Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    AWB - Barack bringing it back?
    So who thinks the assault weapons ban is coming back? Seems like from what I've read he's going to make a push for it and even put it on his website shortly after becoming pres-elect but has since pulled it off. I've been considering selling my AR seeing as I've had it for a year and only put 80 rounds through it, but if its going to be a hassle to get another one I think I'll hang on to it. Trying to decide if I should spend the jack on the .308 I've been looking at before the prices go through the roof.

Anybody else stocking up on the black rifle stuff?

2. Collapse Details

He most likely will. The recent DC gun ban decision by the Supreme Court could be a dissuading factor, but when did things like laws and court decisions ever stop a politician?

Too bad it's an utter waste of time. The last one was a total failure. it literally had no effect. Bayonet wounds and fatalities didn't move a bit. Sort of like the one goofball trying a shoe bomb and now everyone has to remove their shoes to get on an airplane. Looks good, serves no real purpose.

3. Collapse Details

It will proabably come back, for more details google H.R. 1022 to see how they have changed things.

FYI, prices are already going through the roof, and the guys who are taking orders and not jacking their prices are putting your name on a long list. Legal Transfers wont even talk to you unless the first 3 word out of your mouth are "I will wait". I went to a large local sporting goods store last weekend and you couldnt get anywhere near the gun counter. The chicken Little mentality has set in for the general popluation, at least for now.

4. Collapse Details

I just had to make sure that this thread was not about the Average White Band.
    Clinton brought them back.

5. Collapse Details
    Awb
    Word is it will be back and will cover many weapons that were not part of the last one. If you want one better buy it now.

Some ammo (mainly .223) is scarce right now and may be for some time. Prices have gone up on guns & ammo already.

6. Collapse Details

I wouldn't be at all suprised to see the AWB back. I picked up a couple AR15 stripped lowers to have around so I can at least build up some more after the ban is back. Gun sales are skyrocketing locally right now. I picked up a hi-cap Springfield XD-45 last week and couldn't believe all the people in Gander Mountain buying guns. They can's even keep handguns in stock.

7. Collapse Details

That's what I've heard and read on some of the gun boards. Its amazing the jump in gun sales, from what I saw it was even making a lot of the major newspapers the amount of people scrambling to buy guns. I'm out in Philly for work and going to hit up some of the local gun stores to see what's going on. I didn't want to have to spend the money on a new one just yet but then again I don't want to wait 4 (8?) years to buy one either. I like the stipped lower idea, may look into as well. The bad thing is I remember talking about this back in January and saying I need to buy what I want before the election, and of course per usual waited until the last minute...again.
    Last edited by insanity; 11-25-2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: don't know how to spell anymore

8. Collapse Details

Ahh, it looks like this is a 10 year ban irregardless. The Clinton ban was in place/gone before I got interested in the black rifles, from what I have found so far it was a 10 year deal as well?

9. Collapse Details

Better go get another 1k rounds for the SKS
    Wait, I havent even shot the ones I got for Y2K

10. Collapse Details

You think they are expensive now wait until the ban takes effect. If I remember correctly last time a $1400 Colt was selling for almost $3000

11. Collapse Details

Do your own research but I don't think having "pre ban" stripped lowers makes it legal. Pretty sure it has to be a complete rifle. I'm debating whether to buy a black rifle. Don't need one but something about the idea that I won't be able to buy one later bugs me.

One thing to keep in mind is an AWB won't pop up over night. Has to go through the houses and you can be sure the NRA will fight it with everything they have. Lot of folks out there that think obama and the other dems are smart enough to stay away from guns. Upsets a lot of folks and would probably cost them in the next elections.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MattBMiller View Post
    I wouldn't be at all suprised to see the AWB back. I picked up a couple AR15 stripped lowers to have around so I can at least build up some more after the ban is back. Gun sales are skyrocketing locally right now. I picked up a hi-cap Springfield XD-45 last week and couldn't believe all the people in Gander Mountain buying guns. They can's even keep handguns in stock.
    Been reading up on all this weapons stuff lately. I have a few guns, but have never been a collector. I have wanted an AR15 just to have but could never justify spending the money. You gave me the idea of building one. I found several videos on line and it seems like it is not that tough. And I think it would be even cooler to have a gun I made.

Which brand lower is the best? and where did you buy yours?
    2005 Formula 330ss

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by macjazzy View Post
    Been reading up on all this weapons stuff lately. I have a few guns, but have never been a collector. I have wanted an AR15 just to have but could never justify spending the money. You gave me the idea of building one. I found several videos on line and it seems like it is not that tough. And I think it would be even cooler to have a gun I made.

Which brand lower is the best? and where did you buy yours?

I have a couple different brand lowers. I just got a couple more AMETEC lowers. The machinework on them looks great, but haven't built them up yet. I have a buddy who has an FFL license, he ordered them directly from AMETEC. You can purchase "kits" from a few different websites that require only a stripped lower. I've bought from Model 1 Sales in the past and have had good luck. Do yourself a favor and get a good AR15 assembly manual. I have one at home, I'll dig it up and post the name. Also check out AR15.com

14. Collapse Details

Built up this AMEETEC lower this weekend using XM177 parts from Model 1 Sales. I put 100 rounds through it yesterday at the range. Gotta love black rifles!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AR15-XM177.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

Been searching all over the internet since this thread. No one has any lowers or uppers in stock. Some sites are saying they won't have any stock til dec '09
    2005 Formula 330ss

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUzzED View Post
    You think they are expensive now wait until the ban takes effect. If I remember correctly last time a $1400 Colt was selling for almost $3000
    Sweet. I'd have no issues selling a couple of the AR's I have for that kind of money. Even with a ban, that would have to be a temporary price spike. There's so many of them out there now, that I can't see the market supporting that kind of a price increase for the long term.

17. Collapse Details

I spent a day last week and the majority of Saturday going around to various gun shops in PA and Ohio, all in all about 8 different shops. I can count on one hand how many AR's I came across. Granted it was a holiday weekend, but the gun counters were packed in all but one of them, which that one I walked in about 15 minutes before they closed. Only came across 30 round magazines in one shop, they were selling them for 20 bucks a piece so I picked up 5 of them. I thought I found what I was looking for, a DPMS in 24" fluted bull barrel, .308 caliber but it was only a .204. If you can find them, buy them! I talked to a counter guy in just about every one and they all said the same, thing 'Good luck finding that in stock somewhere!'

I think I'll just pick up a 1911 or two instead.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by macjazzy View Post
    Been searching all over the internet since this thread. No one has any lowers or uppers in stock. Some sites are saying they won't have any stock til dec '09

I purchased a few from AMEETEC a while back for $110, saw the same lowers at a gun and knife show over the weekend for $325...

19. Collapse Details

Bought 2 AR's and many other guns when Clinton went into office. Do yourself a favor and buy reloading supplies!

20. Collapse Details

I have all I need...........found a conversion for the mini14 to full auto...............that burns up some lead! Cheaperthandirt.com for ammo.