Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Got Myself a Birthday Present Today
    D
    Got the call today, everything a go. Im freakin excited, and on my birthday too. Wish it was summer now. Will post pics and details when I go for the survey next week.

2. Collapse Details

Congrats! Happy Birthday
    Now put that fun run on your calendar!

3. Collapse Details

What did you end up picking up??

4. Collapse Details

Happy Bday!!!
    And x2 what wieland asked.

5. Collapse Details

Congratulations !!! Pics.. pics.. we need pics...

6. Collapse Details

here is an old pic, hope to have it back in this shape by summer, (and myself too lol) ill post some current pics next week after the survey
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saber28.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Congrats man.....looked like a good deal. I'm sure she'll survey fine. Damn how long has it been since this many 28's where bought and sold in such a short time frame?

8. Collapse Details

Just got back from the survey, looks pretty good. Hull is dry and solid, engines drives and rigging look good. Surveyor found a few little things like minor leaks, couple of bad clamps, and such but nothing I cant fix in short order. Looks like I will probably move forward with the deal. It does need some TLC and I could use some input from you guys on where to get stuff, how to go about it. Here is a list of what I need to do.

1. Get the gelcoat and paint cleaned up and shiny again, the hull sides arent too bad but the top deck and rails are pretty dull. What is the best way to get a good gloss and what products are good?
    2. Need new guages and indicators, they are just weathered and old, and I would like to put colored bezels on them. Any good sources?
    3. Good thorough cleaning of the vinyl, its pretty grungy. I will probably replace it eventually it is origional to the boat and about done, but I would like to get a couple more seasons first.
    4. Clean carpet and upholstery, I can handle this
    5. Swim platform paint is toast, need to sandblast or remove it, and repaint it. Any tips here, it is aluminum tube.

Long term I want to eventually upgrade the motors a bit, maybe to 500-550 per side with EFI I hope. Also need to run it and see what it does with the current props, it has 25P Mirage 3 blades on it, seems to me like not enough prop for 502's at 420HPish. Have to get it on the water and see first, then maybe I will try some updated or labbed props. What is everyone else running with a similar setup? Could also use some tips on trim and tab settings to save some learning time if anyone can help there. I will try to post some pics I took today, they arent that great because its indoors and not a lot of room.

9. Collapse Details

pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boat 022.jpg   boat 001.jpg   boat 027.jpg  

boat 026.jpg   boat 028.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

Where are you in Michigan? Yes it's aluminum easy blast and paint. I use and reccomend Wizards products for rubbing and polishing... nice ride! I saw it for sale a long time ago but already had a boat at the time.

11. Collapse Details

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by POWERPLAY33 View Post
    Where are you in Michigan? Yes it's aluminum easy blast and paint. I use and reccomend Wizards products for rubbing and polishing... nice ride! I saw it for sale a long time ago but already had a boat at the time.
    Bay City area, I will probably come down to LSC for a run or function this summer, what are the good ones?

13. Collapse Details

Congrats very nice

14. Collapse Details
    Registered
    Smile
    Congrats looks nice, lot of people here swear by Leverage for the polish.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by hotjava66 View Post

Long term I want to eventually upgrade the motors a bit, maybe to 500-550 per side with EFI I hope. Also need to run it and see what it does with the current props, it has 25P Mirage 3 blades on it, seems to me like not enough prop for 502's at 420HPish. Have to get it on the water and see first, then maybe I will try some updated or labbed props. What is everyone else running with a similar setup? Could also use some tips on trim and tab settings to save some learning time if anyone can help there. I will try to post some pics I took today, they arent that great because its indoors and not a lot of room.
    You will definately want to put some new props on her ... but you mite as well wait untill you repower .

Don't get too caught up in anybody else's trim and tab settings ... with a little seat time you will be able to "feel" where you need to be with trim , tabs , ect ........... You won't need to use tabs much unless your really flyin it in a following sea ............ some in a head sea ...... but not as much ..... like I said ....... you'll feel it in your seat pretty easy ! ENJOY and congrats !

16. Collapse Details

BTW if anyone has the magazine article with this boat and would be willing to part with it I would love a copy, or even a good color scan I can reprint and frame. Enhanced power is definately a ways down the road unless this damned economy picks up so prop change might come soon if it needs it. I will check out Leverage, although I think the deck may be beyond polish, I may have to wet sand it and have someone who knows what they are doing wheel it out, me and polishers dont mix lol.

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Looking good.... After you get some base line numbers you might want to consider some -1" or -2" shorties and labbed 4 blade props. I'm sure it could benefit from a higher X and some more modern props. Those motors have low hours correct?

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    Looking good.... After you get some base line numbers you might want to consider some -1" or -2" shorties and labbed 4 blade props. I'm sure it could benefit from a higher X and some more modern props. Those motors have low hours correct?
    yes, somewhere around 40hrs, I havent gotten the paperwork on the build yet but they were done and rigged by Chief, built to basically stock 502 mag specs im told

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by hotjava66 View Post
    Just got back from the survey, looks pretty good. Hull is dry and solid, engines drives and rigging look good. Surveyor found a few little things like minor leaks, couple of bad clamps, and such but nothing I cant fix in short order. Looks like I will probably move forward with the deal. It does need some TLC and I could use some input from you guys on where to get stuff, how to go about it. Here is a list of what I need to do.

1. Get the gelcoat and paint cleaned up and shiny again, the hull sides arent too bad but the top deck and rails are pretty dull. What is the best way to get a good gloss and what products are good?
    2. Need new guages and indicators, they are just weathered and old, and I would like to put colored bezels on them. Any good sources?
    3. Good thorough cleaning of the vinyl, its pretty grungy. I will probably replace it eventually it is origional to the boat and about done, but I would like to get a couple more seasons first.
    4. Clean carpet and upholstery, I can handle this
    5. Swim platform paint is toast, need to sandblast or remove it, and repaint it. Any tips here, it is aluminum tube.

Wet sanding, a good variable speed buffer, and 3M cutter/polish will shine her back up like new. It takes awhile but the outcome is well worth the labor.

Best prices I know of for Auto Meter Gauges

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_marM.asp

You can probably get the platform sandblasted and powdercoated locally for around $200.

Not apples to apples but the 28 apache I used to own had freshened 502 efi's (415 hp) and the best props I found were the old style 25p, 3b mirage, not the mirage+. They put the boat right at 5100-5200 rpm.

I never made an offer on it but at one time I was seriouly thinking of buying this boat maybe 5-6 years ago. Timing was just wrong at the time.

Sweet Saber. Congrats!

20. Collapse Details

Eric, CONGRATS! Like i said before i am really excited for you!
    Put that wiener run on your calendar - would be cool to get a few of these sabers together!
    http://www.lakesideyachtclub.com/Pages/PokerRuns.aspx