View Poll Results: Which Adhesive?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll

11 55.00%

9 45.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Most of the boat riggers seem to use 5200....I don't... There's too many times I have to or want take things apart and I just never know... It's only a "seal" so strength isn't an issue in my opinion. Over the years I've used anything and everything I could get my hands on, never made a difference.

as said above, whatever it takes...

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Most of the boat riggers seem to use 5200....I don't... There's too many times I have to or want take things apart and I just never know... It's only a "seal" so strength isn't an issue in my opinion. Over the years I've used anything and everything I could get my hands on, never made a difference.

as said above, whatever it takes...
    Exactly!! Sorry if I came off as a smart azz with my initial post, I am not a big fan of glueing things onto gelcoat. You may want to replace/rerig at some point. A more important item would be a full size tapping plate on the inside of the boat to distribute the load. Ever try and remove a transom assemble that has been put on with 5200? What a mess. Some guys even use grease or wax to prevent the sticking.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Adams View Post
    Exactly!! Sorry if I came off as a smart azz with my initial post, I am not a big fan of glueing things onto gelcoat. You may want to replace/rerig at some point. A more important item would be a full size tapping plate on the inside of the boat to distribute the load. Ever try and remove a transom assemble that has been put on with 5200? What a mess. Some guys even use grease or wax to prevent the sticking.
    I never thought you were a smart ass. I will have backing plates, if they don't come in the kit I will make some out of aluminum. My entire transom is cored and I will be making SS inserts to limit compression of the wood and provide a positive stop when tightening the bolts. I will first seal the wood in the holes with epoxy resin. Re-drill to fit the SS sleeves. Insert the sleeves with 4200 and then assemble the plates using 4200 or 5200. I am going to be extremely anal in my installation of the steering. I know that 5200 is a beotch to remove but it can be done even though it probably never will need to be. What sucks is when people whom you trust because they know their $hit give different answers.......

4. Collapse Details

less is more.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0504081410a.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CRC View Post
    What sucks is when people whom you trust because they know their $hit give different answers.......
    That just might be proof that either one will work fine.

BTW, I voted 4200, only because I think of your boat as a work in progress.

Who knows what you may want to do in the future?

P.S. Thanks for the magazine subscription, much appreciated.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    That just might be proof that either one will work fine.

BTW, I voted 4200, only because I think of your boat as a work in progress.

Who knows what you may want to do in the future?

P.S. Thanks for the magazine subscription, much appreciated.
    Hopefully after this spring the boat will be done for a few years. Did you get a magazine yet. I got confirmation on the two gift subs.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CRC View Post
    Hopefully after this spring the boat will be done for a few years. Did you get a magazine yet. I got confirmation on the two gift subs.
    Already have three months worth.

Thanks again.