1. Collapse Details
    Water Pump -Vs- Cross over???
    Hello,

I have an 87-ish. BBC that was a retro fit of an 87 454. The engine was built by a New York company called Hi-Tech Performance, and allegedly makes in the neighborhood of 550 HP.The engine powers a TRS drive, breathes through a set of "GIL" dry exhaust, and pushes a Checkmate 251-Convincor. (I think) I would like to get rid of the main water pump, and replace it with a cross over system. Everything that I can find on this topic tells me that these water pumps are heavy, in-efficient, and power robbing...

Any Suggestions???

Thanks in advance,

Jim

2. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 251Convincor View Post
    Hello,

I have an 87-ish. BBC that was a retro fit of an 87 454. The engine was built by a New York company called Hi-Tech Performance, and allegedly makes in the neighborhood of 550 HP.The engine powers a TRS drive, breathes through a set of "GIL" dry exhaust, and pushes a Checkmate 251-Convincor. (I think) I would like to get rid of the main water pump, and replace it with a cross over system. Everything that I can find on this topic tells me that these water pumps are heavy, in-efficient, and power robbing...

Any Suggestions???

Thanks in advance,

Jim
    All u found is correct !!!!!!

3. Collapse Details

If its not broke, don't fix it. It maybe takes 7-8hp to turn it which equals about a 0 gain in performance.

4. Collapse Details

Most people do it for looks. The crossover will clean up the front of the engine. However, you will not see a speed increase with just installing a crossover. If it makes an additional 10 hp, you will pick up about 1/2 mph.
    If you do it, be sure to keep an eye on water pressure. If you run a thermostat, the water pressure may get high because the bypass hoses are not big enough to move all of the water coming in. You will probably have to drill a few 3/16 holes in the thermostat so it bypasses some water when it is closed. If you don't run a thermostat, you shouldn't have a water pressure problem. You may want to check on the clearances of the engine(especially piston to cylinder) to be sure it will be ok to run cold(without a thermostat). If you don't have enough piston to cyinder clearance, you can have a piston seize in the bore when it expands and the block doesn't. Contact the builder and see where the engine is set up.
    Eddie