1. Collapse Details
    I Pod to car stereo?
    Anyone use an fm modulator or cd changer hookup to get ipod to work in an older truck? I have an '01 Ford with the factory in dash radio/cd player. I see on Crutchfield a number of attachments to make it work. I already have the i-trip, that works on a FM frequency to the car antenna but it doesn’t work so good. Sound is crappy, low volume, and without the cig lighter hookup it sucks the battery of the ipod down fast.

Thoughts?

2. Collapse Details

registered
    I use one, but ya you're right the sounds is going to suck. The problem with those things that the transmit power and bandwidth allowed by the FCC is so limited, there doesn't exist one that will ever come close to a hard-wired connection.

3. Collapse Details

I use a in line modulator(plugs in the antenna line) for my Sirius portable unit and it works good, this has the same jack/plug that can plug it into my IPOD to. To much static broadcasting over to a fm channel the other way, I did it that way for years to. Glad I changed over to the in line modulator.

4. Collapse Details

You can use a device to convert the cd changer connection to an aux input for your ipod. Some of these also let you control the ipod from the stereo (which is typically pretty limited), while on others you still use the ipod controls.

Check here: http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...ford_ipod.html

I have an adapter in my Lexus that uses the Minidisc changer interface, since those were only available in Japan anyway. This way, my Cd changer still works as normal, and I can control my ipod from the nav screen or steering wheel (and see song info on the display.)

It's not as cool of an interface as the one on the Alpine head unit in my Jeep is, but it works, and an aftermarket stereo in the Lexus isn't an option.