Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Shallow Minded View Post
    VetteLT193 - thanks for the input, I have actually heard the same thing from another well-known marine mechanic. Other than both motors being rated at 500HP, I think the Bulldog and 500HP's are quite a bit different and didn't have the valve spring issues like the 500HP's.

To be safe, I'm sure I'll take Thunderman's advice and have some basic tests done just to see where things are at. Thanks again for all the info guys, I really appreciate it.

Here are a few pic's of the new ride, if I can do this right...
    AWESOME looking boat Quint. Looks very clean in the pics. Hope you can make it up to the Great Lakes this year or maybe I can make it down ther. Would love to see the boat in person.

2. Collapse Details

RM Builder,

Thank you for the clarification regarding the spring issues. I think alot of people ( my self included ) my have thought that this was a issue will all the Blue motors. Glad to see you over here, you bring alot of knowledge that everyone can benefit from.

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    Thats a real nice boat. Are you going to be boating on LOTO alot this summer?

4. Collapse Details

Nice boat shallow, what part of the lake do you typically run? Might see you out there this summer.

5. Collapse Details

Love those red drives! Congratulations and safe boating.

6. Collapse Details

Thanks, guys. I will probably be all over LOTO, but usually can be found anywhere from the 3 MM up to the 31 MM. I don't have a place there, so will probably be overnighting at PB2 quite a bit. Look me up!

7. Collapse Details

UPDATE: I'm going through the top end on those Merc 540 Bulldogs and it looks like I'm going to need a set of Crane rocker arms. A handful of them seem to have sticking points and not roll freely.

Anyway, does anyone know the part #? And, more importantly, is Crane stuff still available? Thanks in advance!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Shallow Minded View Post
    UPDATE: I'm going through the top end on those Merc 540 Bulldogs and it looks like I'm going to need a set of Crane rocker arms. A handful of them seem to have sticking points and not roll freely.

Anyway, does anyone know the part #? And, more importantly, is Crane stuff still available? Thanks in advance!
    crane part # 13750-16 is for a set of 16.

I got mine from Summit last year...a few months after the bankrupcy.

I saw one of you engines torn down when we stopped by
    PBB last Saturday.

9. Collapse Details

if you have the time have rmbuilder put a cam package together go hyd roller and let those 540s stretch out a lil DEAN Gellner can set you up with nice carbs and cam also. congrats on the boat! 500hps are nice but with a lil cash hyd roller cams with the low hours you could have 650hp and in a few yrs do the lowers. I did that on a 502 it had 200 hours converted to hyd roller cam then 5yrs later rebuilt it to a 509. good luck

10. Collapse Details

Thanks, J.T. They're supposed to be going back together next week. From what the guys said, we caught the head gaskets in the nick of time. PBB said they've already tracked a set down.

Air Time - if $ was no object, trust me, I'd bump 'em up a bit! I figure when it's time to do the lowers in a few seasons, I'll go a little more radical with them. Until then, I'm happy with what I've got... for now...