Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    Somewhere the number of 150K got injected into this.
    Is that # speculation or does somebody have actual marketing knowledge?

That is "about" the right amount of money for a new 28 providing it has top of the line single engine power (700+) and is loaded with features and conveniences.

Uncle Dave
    Not likely $150k. The pantera TS 525 is that.
    My bet would be $215 w/ a 525. More along the pricing of where adrenaline was. This will not be for your average 28ft buyer... it's a frigging OUTERLIMITS for goodness sake.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by stormrider View Post
    My bet would be $215 w/ a 525. More along the pricing of where adrenaline was. This will not be for your average 28ft buyer... it's a frigging OUTERLIMITS for goodness sake.
    One would think that a 28 foot boat would be more along the lines of an entry level boat for most performance boaters. Yes it would fill a very specialized nitch for folks who want to down size, and want the quality of an OL. You have to wonder how many buyers like that are out their at this time. A 28 is only going to ride so well, weight and length play a big part of ride quality. The are already quit a group of boats around that length for less money. I really thought the 30 Cigarette was going to be a very popular boat. Cigarette quality, name, brand identity, a cult like following, and a beautiful boat. I don't think the sales lived up to the "Big Red One's" expectations. Maybe Hustler and Outerlimits both know something about market trends. Time will tell. Good luck.

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details

They're out of their f*ckin' mind if they think they're going to sell many 28' boats for 215k!! I don't care if its equiped with a ball licker between the bolsters...That's a lot of cabbage for 28 feet of boat! Just my opinion.
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by animalhouse View Post
    There is no relation to Hustler. The 28 that OL is building will be unique and unlike any boat of it's size.
    Please list the attributes, ammenities, standard features, and options that will make this boat unlike any boat of it's size as you stated earlier. That is quite a statement, and if the 28' OL does possess such attributes it will be one helluva boat. You have generated my interest/curiousity with this claim.

This is not a "smart-ass" post, I really want to know. I think the boat looks good. I assume the price will reflected its uniqueness as you mentioned, demanding a premium-cost for what you get.

First, what makes the 28' OL unique? Then based upon what you get for the money, price can be discussed.
    Last edited by Smarty; 02-04-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling

6. Collapse Details

I suspect that OL will claim their resin infusion process is what makes the boat "unique" unless it will come with a level of standard equipment not often seen ie radar, autopilot etc. - this one point is enough to legitimately make this claim.

To my mind the resin infusion/epoxy process makes for a super strong boat, quite excellent - but the problem of cosmetic print through never gets directly addressed by builders using this - and this is a known tradeoff to selecting this particular build process. They dodge it like the 8th grade game we all played.

When questioning this directly I was told 2 things- I was not given what I would term as a straight answer, but more of of of a "dodge."

1. That the epoxies and the curing process had been improved from three years ago and and are undergoing continual improvement.

(to me this indicates there is a acknowledgment of at least a potential issue and that steps have been taken to address it, and that three year old plus boats may have the problem)

2. That the issue of print through is less likely that micro cracking the that can be a side effect VE (vinylester resin) process.

I think OL makes GREAT boats, but there seems to be a tradeoff in everything in the boat building process, so what makes them unique also presents a potential cosmetic trade off down the road.

It my experience that guys buying 28's typically finance them so how a boat looks after 10 years in the sun (boats out west can hit 230 degrees on dark painted parts) of extremely important as after that time youll be up for a new interior and many components if not a an engine refresh - to potentially have to do a sand down and repaint 3/4 of that way into a 15 year note would be unacceptable to me personally.

Maybe this is an issue, maybe its not, but it has not been resolved satisfactorily to my mind.

That said Im excited to see OL and Hustler participating in the sub 30 category. I applaud them for taking the risk and I think the move will pay off.

Im eager to see and compare them both to whats out there today.

Uncle Dave

7. Collapse Details

Cigarette couldn't make the 30 work. They were building it just like its big brothers and the price tag was too high to cover the costs and make it work.
    I don't know how OL can build an epoxy boat with all the details and hardware that you see on their bigger boats for a price that would make sense. But, they must have it figured out, so I look forward to seeing it.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    I suspect that OL will claim their resin infusion process is what makes the boat "unique" unless it will come with a level of standard equipment not often seen ie radar, autopilot etc. - this one point is enough to legitimately make this claim.

To my mind the resin infusion/epoxy process makes for a super strong boat, quite excellent - but the problem of cosmetic print through never gets directly addressed by builders using this - and this is a known tradeoff to selecting this particular build process. They dodge it like the 8th grade game we all played.

When questioning this directly I was told 2 things- I was not given what I would term as a straight answer, but more of of of a "dodge."

1. That the epoxies and the curing process had been improved from three years ago and and are undergoing continual improvement.

(to me this indicates there is a acknowledgment of at least a potential issue and that steps have been taken to address it, and that three year old plus boats may have the problem)

2. That the issue of print through is less likely that micro cracking the that can be a side effect VE (vinylester resin) process.

I think OL makes GREAT boats, but there seems to be a tradeoff in everything in the boat building process, so what makes them unique also presents a potential cosmetic trade off down the road.

It my experience that guys buying 28's typically finance them so how a boat looks after 10 years in the sun (boats out west can hit 230 degrees on dark painted parts) of extremely important as after that time youll be up for a new interior and many components if not a an engine refresh - to potentially have to do a sand down and repaint 3/4 of that way into a 15 year note would be unacceptable to me personally.

Maybe this is an issue, maybe its not, but it has not been resolved satisfactorily to my mind.

That said Im excited to see OL and Hustler participating in the sub 30 category. I applaud them for taking the risk and I think the move will pay off.

Im eager to see and compare them both to whats out there today.

Uncle Dave
    UD,

Sailboat manufacturers such as Tartan and C&C are using the "infused phenol epoxy laminate." So if performance boat manufacturer(s) are using the sailboat technology to make their boats go fast, be stronger, and remain cosmetically brilliant, I say go for it. I also applaud risk. I did like your answer to my prior post, and that is sort what I expect will be replied by OL.

Unique? Unlike? Bold statements. They do make a helluva boat.

The final answer is....?
    Last edited by Smarty; 02-04-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: grammar

9. Collapse Details

The material and man hrs to build a 38TG and a 30mystique are not that different.
    What is a new 42OL cost w/ 525s?
    I'd be SHOCKED if this 28 came in at 1/2.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PM203 View Post
    I don't know how OL can build an epoxy boat with all the details and hardware that you see on their bigger boats for a price that would make sense. But, they must have it figured out, so I look forward to seeing it.
    What makes you think they must have figured it out?
    What makes owning an OL make sense?
    It's about having the best and paying for it.
    Damn... a 29formula w/ twin sbc's stickers for 190.

The way they have figured it out is they know their clientelle, who must want a smaller boat. $ don't matter. If it did, they really wouldn't be at OL.

Note: And i'm not saying that to the super rich, $ doesn't matter, they just got plenty of it to spend on what they want.

11. Collapse Details

The target price for a 28 OL with a single 525, E-glass lay-up, and OL exclusive carbon monocoque x-grid system will be very competitive for boats of it's size. The final number will be determined once the final build and specifications are in order.

The boat will feature several features as the larger OL's.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    Non-responsive answer. Ballpark estimate on cost?? And, what about unique, and unlike? Help me understand, you may have a 28' OL buying-prospect reading this thread.
    I think the grid system is pretty unique in a boat that size...

13. Collapse Details

Again any idea on speeds with 496's and 525's?

14. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by animalhouse View Post
    The target price for a 28 OL with a single 525, E-glass lay-up, and OL exclusive carbon monocoque x-grid system will be very competitive for boats of it's size.
    That's they key. A 28 footer may be perceived as an entry level size to many, but $200k+ isn't an entry level price. That's where the issue of having to compete with the used market, that's filled with larger boats in 9/10 condition, for the same or less pricing will be crucial.

15. Collapse Details

Smarty,

What more do you want me to tell you, the unique aspects of the boat are the carbon grid, the hull design, the laminate schedule, the list goes on. The price has not been established in full but it will be under 200K.

The boat is conceptual at this point and is subject to change.

I think it is great that this has generated some interest, and we look forward to feedback to build a boat that will suit as many different needs at a reasonable price, but it is impossible to post numbers and speculate as to final price when the customer has not complely finished providing the list of options that they would prefer.

I will be sure to keep updating everybody as we get closer to the final specs.

Fred

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by xlr8by View Post
    Again any idea on speeds with 496's and 525's?
    The boat has been designed to run over 90 with a single 525.

17. Collapse Details

The tagert price is 150,000.00 with single 525& Bravo. slightly more with 525 / NXT

18. Collapse Details

That'd be pretty darn competitive.
    Does this have any cabin?

19. Collapse Details

I'm thinking this boat isn't being aimed at competition like Fountain or Sunsation. This is the boat for a guy that owns a Ferrari and a lake house. And a boat he can take his wife to dinner on and not need help docking it. Or a tender on a larger boat. And for that, $150K is pocket change compared to some of the exotics I've seen. And of all people scoffing at this, I'm surprised at Tank's reaction. What does Phil get for a full-blown 20? Any idea of the pricetag on the Firefox he just redid? The OL doesn't look bad in comparison.

Not everyone needs to have every inch of hull that they can possibly afford. And a single engine boat in this size is perfect for a nice sized lake or on a river. Or the ICW. And you're not going to tie up next to six other boats that look just like it.

I'm just surprised someone hasn't filled this niche earlier.

20. Collapse Details

That'd be pretty darn competitive.
    Does this have any cabin?
    If you want a cabin there will be one.