Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    The 10 Meter as produced ran extremely well. Like always there is someone willing to add big power. In the 80's Gail Banks had turbo engine options available and were on occasion getting installed along with others adding big power. I worked at a dry stack on the South River near Annapolis when I first saw the 10 Meters in '83. Some of them had big Gail banks Turbos in them. As it worked out the early big power boats did not go as fast as anticipated. The faster they went the more they pushed the bow down. The Name preacher as I understand it was adopted because one of the big church preachers owned a big power Fountain somewhere in NC. I only know of this from Art who by late 80's was Fountains largest dealer. He sold every boat he had ordered and was looking for more from Fountain. He asked for any boat that was not accepted or returned for any reason. So boats would just show up. One day the black boat showed up. It was an 85 that was returned to the factory and sent to Art. Maybe it was on someones floor plan and the dealership closed but, I can not say for sure. Anyway I remember the day it showed up I just happened to be there and looked at it with Art. At that time Art had been racing the Joker a 22 Velocity and was looking to move up in classes. The boat was faded black gelcoat with the old style morse throttles. Art asked what I thought and I suggested that he send it back to get painted and have the new style dash installed in it and take it. So he did. In the mean time Art had met Mark Franz and to make that story short Mark bought it and they came to an agreement to race it. Art was thinking D class since it had #3's on it. I suggested B class which was predominately TRS boats where the B motors and 3's would be an indestructible combo.

So to your question the stock fountain bottom has a pad with a slight v Much the same as they appear today. Reggie had worked thru the push the bow down issue and overcame it by changing the rear part of the pad. It only became evident in the 90 mph range. He had cut the pad off and blended it into the surrounding surface which allowed the stern to settle in and not push the bow down. The deadrise at the transom from the center was a softer V and then changed to the the molded v angle which was a little sharper. To my understanding there were only few modified this way. Soon after Reggie started working on his step bottom line.
    I remember being at a west florida race in '92, and getting on the ground behind the heartbeat black fountain, to check out what the infamous fountain pad-bottom design was all about. There was NO pad bottom. I thought wow...they take the infamous pad OFF the race boats, to race them. The so-called pad area was brought up to the exact same deadrise as the rest of the bottom. You know, sortof like the original hull design it was copied from, the Excalibur 31. This explained why it ran better in the rough. Thought to myself, man, this guys pad is just a gimmick, the way he designed it was just wrong, pushing the bow down. He added it to an existing V-hull, which doesn't work, as its a positive. The Paramount 21 comes to mind. Same added-on pad.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    That Black 10 Meter was a good one.

Pad boat No pad. Need to keep in mind what boats were designed to do at time of production. The 10 meter is a good running boat designed to run from say 60 to 80 some mile an hour. It does that exceptionally well. I personally like 30 Velocity with a pad. I would say one of the best overall 70 mile an hour boats. Time goes by and people over power boats. Some take the power, some do not. The Velocity will go 90 plus. Not a great 90 mile an hour boat IMO. There are many boats that just well, how can I say,? Just move, nothing notable or exceptional in any measure.

3. Collapse Details

That's an interesting point. I could throw 2000 hp at my 30 year old boat and never get to 95. Once I was over 85, it would be scary.
    But I love how it goes 55. Smooth, comfortable and forgiving.

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I Think you should throw 2000 HP at it so we can find out.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Hey Jimmy, its Jeff Schultz, how ya doing? I just happened to come across this site and signed up and saw these things about Art and the 10 Meter Fountain and loved all your stories you wrote about. I sent a picture of this one to Greg and Skillet, figured they would enjoy it and stir up some memories for them too. Hows the family? I hope your doing good. Are you ever up here in MD anymore? It would be great to see you. Haven't seen Art in a few years, have you seen him or spoken to him? If you have some time give me a call, my cell is 240-876-1802. Hope to hear from you soon. Jeff

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Glad to see you finally found us.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

7. Collapse Details

Jeff and his brother Greg bought a 30 Velocity new in '88. It was one of if not the first performance boat Marc Granet of team Geico ever experienced. They are still friends and keep in touch.

8. Collapse Details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Art, Jeff, Greg Skillet.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	90854

Art in his 40. Skillet, Jeff and Greg.