P - class
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AVATAR.JPG   SUTPHEN4SMALL.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Registered
    yeah old thread . . . found it after searching on google

Where did it end up at?

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Art had it sold to someone in Florida. Arts friends Kurt and Rodney had raced with him. Kurt happened to call Art as he was selling the boat and getting ready to send it to Florida. Kurt replied, something like the hell with that I'll buy it and he did. It went to the Pearland area near Houston. Those guys ran it in Key west later that year. Not sure '93 or 4. The year Art was Racing Dragonlady and Spirit of Texas. Art pulled off early in Dragon lady after only completely 9 of 10 laps he led convincingly. Don't recall the outcome of the modified class race in Spirit of Texas V bottom canopied Fountain. I do recall Doug Lewis and company shoe polished the Dragonlady Rig with " Nine Lap Lilly".

Anyway the new owners Stuffed The ten meter near turn one in Key West. The driver put his hands thru the dash and was stuck. The bow collapsed in and messed it up a little. It actually struck the reef and had a piece of coral stuck in the v just under the bow eye. Good thing it popped up and floated. Everyone escaped without serious injury. Boat was repaired and I last remember seeing it at Joey Griffins Shop. Lost track of it after that.

The boat had one of the fabled Preacher bottoms on it. It had #3's and was something special. I got to race it in Erie. It beat boats that ran 90 's in the kilo at the event. Art did not kilo it. He said he knew how fast it went. The other faster teams were busting his balls calling it a Lake boat not suited to race against them. Once we cleared the inlet to open water no one ever got in front of use. The boat ran 84mph and it ran 84 from the drop of the flag to the end. No one had anything for us that day. They were busy throttling , Every swell we pulled a boat length away from them as Art just let those 17" props EAT. The only boat near us during first lap was fever. But he could not hang.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 10-20-2016 at 05:16 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lucky strike View Post
    B - class
    P - class
    This thread is stirring up old memories. I drove Great Adventure in Point Pleasant as an A Boat. We took second to MRD that day.

5. Collapse Details

Great stuff, can you tell us about the "preacher" bottom?

6. Collapse Details

The 10 Meter as produced ran extremely well. Like always there is someone willing to add big power. In the 80's Gail Banks had turbo engine options available and were on occasion getting installed along with others adding big power. I worked at a dry stack on the South River near Annapolis when I first saw the 10 Meters in '83. Some of them had big Gail banks Turbos in them. As it worked out the early big power boats did not go as fast as anticipated. The faster they went the more they pushed the bow down. The Name preacher as I understand it was adopted because one of the big church preachers owned a big power Fountain somewhere in NC. I only know of this from Art who by late 80's was Fountains largest dealer. He sold every boat he had ordered and was looking for more from Fountain. He asked for any boat that was not accepted or returned for any reason. So boats would just show up. One day the black boat showed up. It was an 85 that was returned to the factory and sent to Art. Maybe it was on someones floor plan and the dealership closed but, I can not say for sure. Anyway I remember the day it showed up I just happened to be there and looked at it with Art. At that time Art had been racing the Joker a 22 Velocity and was looking to move up in classes. The boat was faded black gelcoat with the old style morse throttles. Art asked what I thought and I suggested that he send it back to get painted and have the new style dash installed in it and take it. So he did. In the mean time Art had met Mark Franz and to make that story short Mark bought it and they came to an agreement to race it. Art was thinking D class since it had #3's on it. I suggested B class which was predominately TRS boats where the B motors and 3's would be an indestructible combo.

So to your question the stock fountain bottom has a pad with a slight v Much the same as they appear today. Reggie had worked thru the push the bow down issue and overcame it by changing the rear part of the pad. It only became evident in the 90 mph range. He had cut the pad off and blended it into the surrounding surface which allowed the stern to settle in and not push the bow down. The deadrise at the transom from the center was a softer V and then changed to the the molded v angle which was a little sharper. To my understanding there were only few modified this way. Soon after Reggie started working on his step bottom line.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 10-21-2016 at 12:28 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So there has never been a stepped Vee with a Preacher bottom?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    " Nine Lap Lilly"

That's funny, but not to Art I bet........

9. Collapse Details

His truck was covered with white shoe polish. Like it would be at a wedding or graduation party. He took it with a smile. After all he could not deny it. He was racing with Ron Reith and his wife for whom the boat was named. Its hard to count during a race. Everybody counts in the boats I have raced. You still second guess yourself most of the time. Not sure who was really to blame but Art was preoccupied be finishing the race running back to race village and jumping into the Modified boat with Carmody Spirit of Texas

Pretty sure it was Doug Lewis, he was fun to race against. Raced hard on the course and enjoyed the social events and playing with competitors. I raced against him in Factory 2 when he throttled The Sutphen. He also introduced me to Ritchie Sutphen in Ft Meyers '99. Ritchie Viewed me as the enemy being I was part of the Fountain team. Doug explained to him I was OK and invited me to their table. Ritchie and I always exchanged hellos and shared some conversation at every event after that.

10. Collapse Details

I was telling another heartbeat story just yesterday. If that boat could talk.... It could easily have its own TV show.

11. Collapse Details

What a cool story, thanks for sharing. if i re call there is a retired race 33 for sale on oso. looks like it had a bravo conversion hp 500s. Could be the same one dunno. I love old race bots.Nothing cooler in my opinion.
    Still searching for the ultimate old school project....

12. Collapse Details

Artie is my best buddy, Growing up on the Chesapeake Bay we used to play hard. The bay was deep with shipping channels leading to Baltimore and shoals surrounding the various rivers. When the wind blew up or down the bay it would get fun. Big rollers that would stand up over the shallow shoals. I cant even begin to estimate how many hundreds of hours we spent boating over the years.

It was the lake Erie race story I was sharing this past week. Art asked me to drive The race boat for him , She wore the name Rock Solid that season. It was a US Offshore race , must have been in '91, wiht a Kilo event scheduled. Fever, Franks Marine, Shockwave were a few of the boats that ran the speed trial the day before I arrived. They were all busting Lilly's balls, " Why aren't you running your boat Lilly?" " Where is your driver/"
    "You must be scared to run that lake boat of your here. This is big water, they were telling him." A number of them ran over 90mph. Lilly knew how fast his boat was and t wasn't that fast. I arrived late the night before the race and had never been there before. He had me uncover the boat for the first time that weekend. It can fueled and ready to go. As we circled in the mill I looked around to get my bearings. I had only looked at a course map. Art reminded me how much faster some of the other boats were as he rested his heavy hung over head on the dash. I collected my self and secured landmarks in my mind as to where I would be returning to.

As the green flag dropped we were getting pushed around and a few faster boats from my right crossed in front of me and hosed us down. Art was yelling," You better know where you better know where you are going! I've never been hosed down in a start before!" I knew the heading I wanted to go straight out the break water opening. As it worked out most of the boats bunched up to my left and allowed me a wide, clear area on the right to head out into open water. I always get a kick out of others fine throttling, Arm busy moving forward and back as it their boat leaps and jumps. Lilly on the other hand lets his 17' cleavers EAT. I stood in the center of the boat with the tacks and speedo in front of me. I could see the tachs at 5800 while in the water, in the air he would only hold them from running away and I watched them hover at 6200. The boat would lunge as it left the water and lunge again as it returned pulling the engines back down to 5800. It felt like I was getting rear ended by a truck as it would snap my head back. Meanwhile every time it lunged we would pull a boat length on the faster boats on either side of us. Soon we were alone in the lead. My head was heavy with the weight of the helmet and soon I had to hold the front of my helmet thinking I was going to break my neck and never make it through the race.

One very important thing I remembered to do was look back as I left the breakwater to get a good visual landmark to return too. I Remember a tower and a group of trees to key in on later. Back in those days courses were long and laps were few. Lilly yelled and reminded me. " You better know where your going, " as searched for the upcoming first turn. Around turn one and soon around turn two we go as we now were heading back where we came from. I again get scolded, "You better Know were you are going!" Fever was to our starboard side taking a different heading. I trusted my judgement as Fever aimed further and further to our right. Art continued to yell at me as he whipping the boat sending it from sea to sea yanking my head back the entire time. Finally the shore came back into sight and I was on a good line. Fever was closing in from the right taking my heading as his which got Art to stop yelling at me.

Now the lead the way back in the cut and into smooth water. I set my sites on the trees in the back ground to direct me to the turn bouy. By now all the faster boats were closing in fast on either side, The only one I was concerned about was Franks Marine closing hard on the inside. I was counting the long seconds and preying I would be able to initiate the left hand turn before his bow reached our stern. Fortunately fro me The turn wnet my way and I held the lead just long enough to dominate the turn. I swept it hard to the left slamming the door on Franks Marine as he was forced to cross my wake and subsequently cleaned everyone else out and away from me. We continued the race unchallenged for a couple more laps and won.

13. Collapse Details

We collect the flag, pull the boat. Soon after the inspection crew shows up. " Jimmy take care of that for me," Art asked. Kurt and others tell me to get the boat ready to whistle and P and G. I'm up on the boat looking into the bilge for the first time as I made my case, " Hey Kurt these are the same engines you inspected last race". He did not care what I had to say as he approached with a brand new tool. He was holding it proudly with towels as to not put any finger prints on it. It was a big cylinder with numbers on the sides, plunger disk inside and a hose to connect to spark plug hole. As the engine cranks the disk moves up and down and measures the displacement. Now one inspector is at the helm, a few more around the boat and me in the bilge paying my way for driving. " OK guys your wasting your time. You just did this," OK which valve cover should I pull?' He points, I remove and loosen the first cylinder rocker arms as Art instructs the inspector, 'To pull both kill switches , Jimmy I'll be at the bar," and he walked away.

" OK guys I got my part ready." The guy holding the tool like a fine violin says, 'Oh no, not that One ready the third cylinder back". I quickly re assemble the first and loosen the third. He passes me the end of the hose and I screw it in the third hole back. " Ok I'm ready". The guy at the helm confirms he has pulled the port kill switch. " Clear" has he hit the start key. I'm still standing next to the engine hands empty. The tool is in the hands of the second guy in the boat. The engine goes ra, zroom and fires on its first revolution. I hear A WHOOSSH ! The guy guy holding to tool was holding what just became a rocket launcher. That sound was the plunger soaring for the clouds. I turn to look and everyone is looking into the sky following the trajectory of the projectile from the tool.

" Sorry guys I'm just a guest in the boat and he did say you should have pulled both switches. I guess were are done. I'm gonna close this up and head to meet Art in the bar."

I see Art and tell them what happened. I short time after the guys approach us in the bar. " OK lets go do it again," their brand new tool was now duct taped back together. They weren't concerned about finger prints on it anymore. " Really? ", I asked. SO out I went back to the boat and repeated the process. Their tool side it was 700 plus odd inches. " You know that's not right". as I pleaded again." Aren't we done yet. These are the same engines as last race and they'll still be in here for the next races when you see it again. "

jrsperos.com/3.htmlhttp://jrsperos.com/3.html

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    We collect the flag, pull the boat. Soon after the inspection crew shows up. " Jimmy take care of that for me," Art asked. Kurt and others tell me to get the boat ready to whistle and P and G. I'm up on the boat looking into the bilge for the first time as I made my case, " Hey Kurt these are the same engines you inspected last race". He did not care what I had to say as he approached with a brand new tool. He was holding it proudly with towels as to not put any finger prints on it. It was a big cylinder with numbers on the sides, plunger disk inside and a hose to connect to spark plug hole. As the engine cranks the disk moves up and down and measures the displacement. Now one inspector is at the helm, a few more around the boat and me in the bilge paying my way for driving. " OK guys your wasting your time. You just did this," OK which valve cover should I pull?' He points, I remove and loosen the first cylinder rocker arms as Art instructs the inspector, 'To pull both kill switches , Jimmy I'll be at the bar," and he walked away.

" OK guys I got my part ready." The guy holding the tool like a fine violin says, 'Oh no, not that One ready the third cylinder back". I quickly re assemble the first and loosen the third. He passes me the end of the hose and I screw it in the third hole back. " Ok I'm ready". The guy at the helm confirms he has pulled the port kill switch. " Clear" has he hit the start key. I'm still standing next to the engine hands empty. The tool is in the hands of the second guy in the boat. The engine goes ra, zroom and fires on its first revolution. I hear A WHOOSSH ! The guy guy holding to tool was holding what just became a rocket launcher. That sound was the plunger soaring for the clouds. I turn to look and everyone is looking into the sky following the trajectory of the projectile from the tool.

" Sorry guys I'm just a guest in the boat and he did say you should have pulled both switches. I guess were are done. I'm gonna close this up and head to meet Art in the bar."

I see Art and tell them what happened. I short time after the guys approach us in the bar. " OK lets go do it again," their brand new tool was now duct taped back together. They weren't concerned about finger prints on it anymore. " Really? ", I asked. SO out I went back to the boat and repeated the process. Their tool side it was 700 plus odd inches. " You know that's not right". as I pleaded again." Aren't we done yet. These are the same engines as last race and they'll still be in here for the next races when you see it again. "

jrsperos.com/3.htmlhttp://jrsperos.com/3.html

I could read this stuff all day, again thanks for sharing what a great story.
    Still searching for the ultimate old school project....

15. Collapse Details

I first met Art in Ego Alley,downtown waterfront in Annapolis. He had a marina and a paint shop on the Severn river. I worked at a dry stack on the South River. I had pulled up in my bosses 27 Cigarette and rafted about the 7th boat out. I made my way toward the bulkhead, about 3 boats away I came upon Art in A 30 Velocity Blondie . We began to talk and share stories of bad hops. I had recently put my head thru the side of my STV Blackand Art had recently almost ejected his son Rod from Blondie. I life long friendship was forged. He has helped me more then anyone throughout my life. I joined him on a Florida Trip to pick up a Velocity he had sold and we visited Key West for our first time for the Big Races. He 14 years my senior said at one point in the pits," Jimmy This is me." He returned the following year as a participant and I returned crewing his boat Joker.. Art has created and raced many successful boats since.

Now this is not a Heartbeat story, but is a Lilly story that often gets told in my shop. Quick back ground, in '98 Art invited me to go to Fountain with him to talk work a deal where He and Jeff Harris were going to campaign a SuperV. Reggie did not have any guys to spare and asked Art to bring someone to work on the boat. That was how I found my way to be on the Fountain team.

As I am trying to stay on my original thought many other stories are popping into my head. So I will try to keep with my original thought. After rigging and crewing the SuperV for the season. That year they had 500 inch supercharged 8500 lbs anything goes. The boat ran all season with the same blower engines Reggie ran in his Supercat with Randy Scism. By seasons end in Biloxi all the blower motors had been worked thru. The SuperV was fitted with some old B Motors Reggie owned that Troy Dennis had built. The boat ran nearly 100 with these B motors. It went to Key West and I thought the season was over.

The SuperV was for sale and the best way to advertise it was to race it. So Art shipped it to Puerto Rico for their season ending Event. Art had previously raced there in DragonLady. and we were warmly welcome on his return. I had a treasured time over the entire weekend. On race morning Art gets excited, " Jimmy", he asked, " Aren't you going to get in the boat and do something like look it over?" I responded, " I went over it yesterday and she's ready." Art snapped back, Get up in there and do something". SO I climbed up, opened the engine hatches and ask the her to give us a good ride. "Ok", I said to Art. He asked, "WTF was that?" I responded, "I blessed her" and closed the hatches.

The race begins and I had only driven to test before and here I was running it in Big seas. The roughest part were big 6's and 8's in a nice spaced rythum with the course a basic big triangle running into them abreast of them and a smoother leg in the shadow of an island. As we approached the roughest part I was taken by the boats reluctance to react to steering input. I said to Art , "It doesn't feel right", She wasn't reacting to slight steering inputs as I was sending it from swell to swell. He snapped, "Maybe its leaking steering fluid, don't turn the wheel anymore then you need to."

Come to find out after the race was over there was nothing wrong. He had the ballast tanked loaded full and the boat was bow heavy like I have never experienced. So not knowing any better then to follow his order I Stopped twitching the wheel. I rounded the turn, set the boat toward the next turn and let go of the wheel and hung my hands on the roll bar. I just watched her , Bloop, bloop, bloop, across the swells. She just went straight following her heavy bow smooth as can be. I grab hold of the wheel and bring her around the next turn, pointed toward the next turn and again rested my hands on the roll bar. Art just carried her perfectly from swell to swell. What a cool ride! I round the next turn and took a heading up the smoothest leg with my hands again on the roll bar when I hear Art, " WTF are you doing?" " I'm not turning the wheel anymore then I need to as you instructed," I replied. " Get your hands back on the wheel", he yelled. " Next turn it will be an entire lap," I snickered. "Keep your F'n hands on the wheel", he ordered.

We won the race, went to an Awards celebration like no other. Sounded like a revolution in Spanish. I did not understand a word the announcer was saying, Just a bunch of fast foreign language interrupted by cheers until we heard the words, DOS AMERICANOS.

http://jrsperos.com/5.html

16. Collapse Details

Art is tougher then an average man. I find I use some of his sayings regularly. Just the other day I nearly choked wolfing down a BBQ sammy. A friend was near and did that Hiemlick thing on me. I thanked him and joked, " An average man would have lost his appetite." Lilly shared with me an experience he had at a Point Pleasant race in his 10 Meter. He used to say when it was rough he'd drive the boat over two and thru one. Drive like a pile driver as someone else had the steering wheel. The Fountain beek will punch thru the top of a sea exceptional well. The fastest way is straight ahead. If your flying off the top of a big one you lose momentum. Art's 10 Meter wasn't always the fastest boat at a race but it won a lot. He would operate it at 100% 100% of the race.

So to the brief story I thought to share. He was racing in Point Pleasant on a day with typical point seas. On the last lap while heading into the seas, over a few and occasionally cutting the top off of one by sticking the bow into it he turned to see who if anybody was around him. As he turned forward he saw 12"s of water was coming up the deck. Ordinarily when he stuck the bow in the top of one he'd simply duck as it cleared the fairing. This time the water was half way to him and he didn't have time to duck. The sea hit him in the chest and bent him over the back of the bolster and nearly took him out of the boat. Now an Average man would have idled back or quit and sought help. Lilly caught his breathe and continued on to win the race. He returned to the pits or the closest dock. Not sure of that detail having trouble breathing and needed assistance. The promptly loaded him in an ambulance and ushered him to the hospital with symptoms of having a heart attack. He was admitted for having suffered a bruised heart. He was having non of that being admitted. He said he had a doctor back home and left against the doctors recommendations. When he got home later that day and met with his doctor He was then was admitted and was scheduled for a by pass. He had a quadruple by pass. He later joked that his doctor had his heart in his hands and was told he had a strong heart. He would also show off the scar on his forearm where they harvested a vein.

An average man would have given up racing. Not Art, it was mid season and many races left.

17. Collapse Details

After a brief recovery, less then the doctor ordered, about a month give or take he took the raceboat to Islemorada to race. He couldn't help himself. He was feeling better doing his 100 push ups a day and could not sit idle. While at the Tiki Bar the night before the race with his buddy Skillet they made friends with a bunch of girls. The line was " My doctor told me I shouldn't be racing so soon after heart surgery so if you girls are waiting at my boat in the morning I'll pass on the race and we'll take you out and watch the race."

The next morning as he arrived at the boat there she was with a bunch of her friends. They all piled in and out to watch the race they went. Now Art wasn't usually a spectator and his boat wasn't usually loaded to watch a race. He was just idling around the edge of the course waiting for th erace to begin. I police boat had his own plan and came along the side of them instructing them that they had to anchor. Anyone who knows how police stops in boats go knows a safety equipment check was coming. The officer asked to see all the usual stuff, fire extinguishers. "Check". How about life jackets?" Hey Skillet", who was under the bow rooting around, 'Pass me up some life jackets". Well as one might guess you wont find too many orange PFD's in a race boat but, there was one old nasty one that must have been used as a fender or something. Skillet passes it up to Art. " Here's one" Art proclaims and drops it back out of site. Skillet passes it back up," Here's another," Art counts and dropped it again. Skillet passes that same one up again when the officer says," Give me that, how many more do you have?"

There weren't anymore. The officer was pissed and instructed them to immediately head back to port. By now the race had started and Art and crew were watching the race. The officers were following them back. They did not want it to take so long and told Art to run back. Art told them the reason why the were watching the race after all was because only one of his engines would run. He idled back while watching the race and enjoying the company of his friends. The officers following the entire way were not amused. Art and Skillet may have gotten off without too much hard ship until Art fired the second engine and backed it in the slip. The officers were livid. They secure the boat and the officers secure theirs.

One fine perk of being a throttle man is the driver of the boat gets the tickets. "Hey Skillet take care of this for me; we'll be at the bar" as he and the girls walk off. The officer started writing tickets, no PFD's, No Throwable, ect , ect, Skillet said the officer emptied his ticket book on him, Wrote every ticket he could find in his book to write, " Art," skillet says, "THEY EVEN WROTE ME A TICKET FOR NO OIL DISCHARGE PLAQUERD."

18. Collapse Details

Art first raced in '86, He raced the 10Meter for a bunch of years in the early '90's. Joker, Heartbeat, Rock Solid, Dragonlady, Spirit of Texas, Fountain,and Pier 57 are some of the boats he raced. Banker and Dramamine, are a couple of Fountains he had Skater build for his customers. Art raced thru the early '00 years. Couldn't say when he stopped. Well took a break is more like it until his son Brit bought a race boat. Brit currently races a 29 Vortec SVL, LSB / Hurricane of Awesomeness. He began a handful of years ago and now has set the bar in SVL.

Arts last race must have been in Sarasota a few years ago. Since I moved to Texas I don't see Art as much as I like but, we do talk regularly. Art shared what happened to him in Sarasota. I had previously told him he aught to run with Britt. He was reluctant to run a small boat thinking he'd get beat up in it. I urged him to just do it. He's got suspension seats and the courses are much shorter and closer to shore than they used to be.

SO back to this short one. He tells me as he racing with Brit in Sarasota his pacemaker that he recently had installed. And occasionally malfunctions began to malfunction during the race. He tells me," the damn thing started zapping me. It hits so hard it took my breathe away. I couldn't talk, I was beating on my chest trying to communicate with Brit. While thinking this is great, my pacemaker is gonna kill me while I'm racing with my son." He laughs as he was telling me this. I'm horrified, " That would really suck to lose you to a cheap shot like that.

I don't recall asking or caring about the outcome of that race. Brit now runs with Ronnie Umlandt and they are the team to beat.

I have so many more stories to share. I'll remind myself to share the Bahamas story next. Well, its actually a collection of stories. I'm all typed out now.
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 02-12-2018 at 12:27 AM. Reason: typos

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Does anybody know how many Fountain race boats were built by Skater, and where they all are now?

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    My goal is to identify every one.