Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    On Race Course Towing
    Looking forward to my first season of offshore racing this year and I have some questions about the towing/salvage horror stories I've heard about over the years.

As I understand it, during races, Sea Tow and other salvage companies will, by their own accord, hawk the course waiting to throw a line on broken or skinking boats to claim salvage rights. They will then tow the boat, apparently whether the owner of the boat refueses the line or not, and charge astronomical amounts of money to return the boat to its owner. It has been a very long time since I studied any admirlty law, but I'm assuming that's the governing law in this case that affords the salvage company the right to do this.

So, I have a few questions about this.

1) Please correct my understanding if I'm mistaken about any of the above.

2) I was talking to a repo guy recently who told me he could be charged with kidnapping if he were to drive off with someone's car or boat while there were people on it. Conversely, he told me that when he repos boats on the water, he'll get on the boat and tell the owner that he doesn't want to be taken anywhere. If the owner moves the boat, the repo guy claimed he can press charges for kidnapping. BS or not? If not, how does Sea Tow get around this issue?

3) Do orgs generally offer towing for competitors other as part of the event participation (i.e. an authorized tow boat that doesn't claim salvage rights)?

4) If the race course is being held under permit, I'm assuming the race course is closed to non-race traffic. I would think that Sea Tow could be considered to be an unautorized tresspass onto the race course. How does this work?

5) If I'm under contract with Vessel Assist with unlimited towing, I'd assume that unless my contract excludes towing during racing events, I could still just refuse a tow from Sea Tow and call Vessel Assist. Is this correct?

I really appreciate any input or insight. I'm making some decisions right now about the cost/benefit of racing this season and preparing to race as well. I want to make sure I'm making educated decisions and also understand what I'm dealing with once out on course.

Thanks,

Sean

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

2. Collapse Details

I dont know all the laws, but I do know that our event is under coast guard permit and no one enters the race permitted area without the permit holders permission. We are very fortunate to have the support of the local salvage company and they provide all towing and emergency services free of charge to the racers. I also provide my personal center console with a 3"pump and lines lines for use. Because of this, our racers are not charged for any salvage or towing. www.HarrisonOffshore.com

3. Collapse Details

Banned
    Plus,,,if WAHOO is towing u ,,which i hope u never need a tow....he has a cooler with cold ones on board ...LOL

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Plus,,,if WAHOO is towing u ,,which i hope u never need a tow....he has a cooler with cold ones on board ...LOL
    but be careful . . . . there pretty shook up
    Throttles- Cleveland Construction/Traffic Light Racing 377 Talon cat

5. Collapse Details

When you receive the permit for the course the Coast Guard gives you complete control over it, as race director you can control, with their backup, who comes on the course. Now, on our courses we have numerous patrol boats that are ready to tow and we have fire boats with pumps, etc for salvage. Some promoters will make a deal with a tow company to do whatever they can at no charge. IIRC a few years ago, and maybe since, OPA made a deal with one of the tow providers to get a membership for all the boats and that would cover them during the races for whatever they needed. It is a good idea to ask the promoter what kind of arrangements they have made, for your own benefit.

6. Collapse Details

We talked about this during the first meeting. The Sea Tow company is a sponsor of Popra. They will tow in free of charge if the racer is a member. I will get the notes and post the details.

Still chaising the popra dinner bunch maybe next week, I have to go to FL. It is like hurding kittens.....

pat W
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions

7. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Pat is correct if you r a sea tow member you get towed for free in the contract u have with them.Just make sure the package you get so you r covered during the race.

8. Collapse Details

just remember, "tow" and "recovery/salvage" are two entirely different things. One may be free, while the other not so much.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRacing View Post
    Pat is correct if you r a sea tow member you get towed for free in the contract u have with them.Just make sure the package you get so you r covered during the race.
    so your saying SeaTow has a package for "Racers"?

from what i've read, heard and discussed with both racers, sea tow, tow boat, is that there's NO coverage for racing - period. while at some races the promoters might have some kind of deal with a towing company, it would be good to get this in print. seems every time their needed there's a loophole that costs the racers.

and like Sean points out theres a big difference between towing and salvage and recovery. the later, will end up costing you ALOT of $$$$.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    just remember, "tow" and "recovery/salvage" are two entirely different things. One may be free, while the other not so much.
    Exactly, Correct me if I am wrong, but this all goes out the window if the boat is sinking.

11. Collapse Details

Thanks guys. That's helpful. It's never freakin' easy to just go and have a good time is it...

12. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor RACESDAD's Avatar
    say no to sea tow

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    Exactly, Correct me if I am wrong, but this all goes out the window if the boat is sinking.
    Not necessarily. In a salvage situation the vessel is completely yours until you relinquish control, ie. leave or abandon it.

Salvage laws are very limiting on preexisting agreements for the operation to be considered a salvage. Payment is made only on successful completion of the salvage, and is based on vessel worth, level of hazardous conditions, and perils of the salvor as decided by the court.

A tow because you broke down and the vessel is not in danger will not stand as a salvage operation in court. If you are taking on water, the situation changes if you request assistance.

Before any line is placed on your vessel, regardless of condition, make certain that an agreement for payment is in place.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post

i'll correct you, YOUR WALLET WILL BE GOING OUT THE WINDOW

15. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    just bring a gun and when they approach point it them and dare them to hook up a line.

16. Collapse Details

When my buddy broke his Top Gun's back and it was sinking, Coasties and Life Guard boats showed up with a big gas pump and a whole load of toilet ring wax. I think the wax will go into the boat box next to the stainless 1911...

17. Collapse Details

toilet ring wax?

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BradH View Post
    Not necessarily. In a salvage situation the vessel is completely yours until you relinquish control, ie. leave or abandon it.

Salvage laws are very limiting on preexisting agreements for the operation to be considered a salvage. Payment is made only on successful completion of the salvage, and is based on vessel worth, level of hazardous conditions, and perils of the salvor as decided by the court.

A tow because you broke down and the vessel is not in danger will not stand as a salvage operation in court. If you are taking on water, the situation changes if you request assistance.

Before any line is placed on your vessel, regardless of condition, make certain that an agreement for payment is in place.
    Wouldnt the coasties persuade you to let the salvor hook up though? its either that, or lose your boat and pay heavy environmental fines.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    When my buddy broke his Top Gun's back and it was sinking, Coasties and Life Guard boats showed up with a big gas pump and a whole load of toilet ring wax. I think the wax will go into the boat box next to the stainless 1911...

That is a great idea, never thought of that, I may have to buy a case or 2 to keep on board

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy222 View Post
    toilet ring wax?

to stop water intrusion(Plug the hole)