Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I just noticed this thread. Wow is all I can say.

While I might have the mechanical ability to pull something like this off, I certainly do not possess your determination, drive, and willingness to wear fiberglass!!! I was sweating, itching, and scratching just reading the first two pages!

Kudos to a spectacular build!!! Looking forward to watching your progress and seeing the final result.

2. Collapse Details

Last night we placed the first real piece on top; 1-1/2oz Chopped Strand Mat and does it suck up the resin, We used almost 2 gallons on this alone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 131.jpg   Remove - 132.jpg   Remove - 133.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Those above 3 pictures were taken with my phone so they may be a little grainy. I stopped in this morning a shot a couple more of the dry part with a real camera.

Our next step will be a layer of 1708 cloth ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 124.jpg   Remove - 126.jpg   Remove - 128.jpg  

Remove - 129.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

Looking Good

5. Collapse Details

NEXT... 1708

We scuffed up the chop cloth and cleaned the area to get ready to apply the first sheet of 1708 cloth. This cloth is the real strength to the lid, we will have one layer on the outside and 2 on the inside.

Once the sheet of 1708 was cut we mixed up a gallon of resin and started wetting out the cloth. It laid on perfect flowing around the corners.

Once it was laid out Darryl rolled out any air bubbles and used a plastic bondo squeegee to remove the extra resin.

It's been a good week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 135.jpg   Remove - 134.jpg   Remove - 136.jpg  

Remove - 137.jpg   Remove - 138.jpg   Remove - 139.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Amazing project and keep up the great work.

7. Collapse Details

Registered
    Looking good.

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As soon as you're done, I have a hull to put a canopy on......

Looking really good Rick.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

9. Collapse Details

2nd Layer of 1708 is now on and this canopy is pretty strong. Two of us were able to sit on the top with very little flex in the part. Once we apply another layer on the inside with the glassed in bulk head/roll bar it should withstand most any hit.

We did make sure to make the over-laps 16 inch's on the top center and corners along with a few extra pieces on the front whindsheild. This was done to add even more strength encase roll over or hit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 142.2.jpg   Remove - 142.3.jpg   Remove - 142.4.jpg  

Remove - 142.5.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

Now that the multiple layers of 1708 cloth has been applied we can now prep the part for body work

This is done by once again covering the part with 1.5oz chop cloth. This chop cloth is applied so when body working the part with sand and cut into the chop, not the 1708 with is the strength of the part.

The part should be ready to pull in the next day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 143.jpg   Remove - 144.jpg   Remove - 145.jpg  

Remove - 146.jpg   Remove - 147.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

We pulled the canopy free .. it's lighter than the F16, maybe 150lbs so far but very awkward to move around with only two people. Tonight we will be building a nice 'large" square table to work on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 150.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

#1 The floor base is made from 3/4 marine plywood. Once everything is mocked up and finalized we will make an aluminum seat base that will be attached from the bottom, also the seat base will be glassed down with 1708

#2 next was this channel will house my throttle and shifter cables, maybe other junk.. not sure yet.

#3 Shifter box made from 3/4 9*notice the flat spot on top, I made that as a step for climbing in and out.

#4 also we made a arm rest in the center that will double as a step for climbing in and out of the boat.

I'm happy with the angle of the seats and throttles and have lots of legs room so I'll pull everything apart and router the edges and start glassing the undersides of all hidden parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 151.jpg   Remove - 152.jpg   Remove - 153.jpg  

Remove - 154.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    You've done amazing work with great detail. IMO you may want to re-think the throttle box and it's position......
    Ryan Beckley

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley View Post
    You've done amazing work with great detail. IMO you may want to re-think the throttle box and it's position......
    Just curious as to why? I have built 4 or 5 and each one is a little different with different angles.

This one is very comfortable with the seat angle and I don't feel to cramped (6'3") and Gary (5'5) does not have to stretch to use it.

Of all of them this feels the 'best" but I'm open to suggestions and ideas

15. Collapse Details

Forgot all about this thread, boat's looking good Rick. Should be ready to splash in the spring no problem.

16. Collapse Details

Thanks!,
    Once done we will start on the Skater.

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    It's just my opinion, but, it looks like an after thought there and in the wrong position. I would rather see a set of Latham or Skater throttles in there. I actually took this same set of throttles out of my 24' and replaced them with used Latham throttles. I guess I just like the looks of the "race" set up of the stringer or top mounted throttles, not "the box". I AM really amazed at the work you've done and think you are doing a great job.
    Ryan Beckley

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    Thanks!,
    Once done we will start on the Skater.
    Rick - lets see if I can get the house projects done before you finish the canopy! Rather than spending my cash on boring things like carbon fiber and number six drives for the skater I've been spending it on cool stuff like flooring, light fixtures and appliances

19. Collapse Details

Amazing thread!
    Amazing project!

Last comment reminds me of the harley commercial from a few years ago:
    Scene:Front porch Grandpa and Grandsom...Fairly noisey Sportser rolls down road in front of farmhouse.
    Grandpa:I remember my Harley...
    Grandson: Grandpa, you had a Harley?
    Grandpa:Nope. Got aluminum siding instead

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    Just curious as to why?

Of all of them this feels the 'best" but I'm open to suggestions and ideas
    Everything looks great.. As far as the throttles go it appears you have to push them up as you push them forward.. My initial thought is that won't be very comfortable..

Carry on ..