Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That sure looks to be strong.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Today I cleaned up the edges on the fiberglass I did yesterday and did some grinding to get them to fit perfectly in place.

I than finished tabbing in the bulkheads so those are now ready to go..

Next I cut the "nub" off the front that was left over from the F16 canopy. Once that was finished I ground down 6 inch's around the cock pit, this will give me nice fresh glass to attach the front sheets to.

Once everything was ready I built a quick temporary throttle/shifter box to find out exactly were I want to build my seat bases.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails removal 60.JPG   removal 61.JPG  

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    Today I cleaned up the edges on the fiberglass I did yesterday and did some grinding to get them to fit perfectly in place.

I than finished tabbing in the bulkheads so those are now ready to go..

Next I cut the "nub" off the front that was left over from the F16 canopy. Once that was finished I ground down 6 inch's around the cock pit, this will give me nice fresh glass to attach the front sheets to.

Once everything was ready I built a quick temporary throttle/shifter box to find out exactly were I want to build my seat bases.
    real cool re-do, Thanx 4 sharing!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Rick , just a few questions ,do you think that a wind screen like a Skater 28 would look better then old school and what is the grey gunk ( putty ) in the corners D B F - BY CHANCE ?
    Yes, Detroit Body Filler !

Rick it is looking good , Glad you got billy helping you out.

5. Collapse Details

Ok, I'm back at it....

Ok, we attached the cock pit walls to the deck, lid and bulkheads. Yes this part sucked.. a 6'3 240lbs person does not fit well in a 14in space while fiberglassing..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails remove - 64.JPG   remove - 64 (3).JPG   remove - 64 (6).JPG  

6. Collapse Details

After the back was tied in I began to grind the paint so I can attach the dash panel and center counsel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails remove - 64 (7).JPG   remove - 64 (5).JPG  

7. Collapse Details

After noticing how close the corner of the seat was to the corner of the cock pit I decided to cut it back on an angle. I notice those seats do flex and god for bid we are hit I don't want to take a 90 degree angle to the back of the shoulder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails remove - 64 (8).JPG   remove - 64 (9).JPG   remove - 64 (10).JPG  

8. Collapse Details

I than mocked up the dash so I can get some measurements..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails remove - 64 (11).JPG   remove - 64 (12).JPG  

9. Collapse Details

I built 5 throttle boxes until I found one that fit perfect offering enough room and easy arm placement.. This took to long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails remove - 64 (23).JPG  

10. Collapse Details

Once the dash angles and throttle position were set I began to attach the old cock pit to the new cock pit.

I only needed to do the area that will be behind the dash at this time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails remove - 64 (13).JPG   remove - 64 (14).JPG   remove - 64 (15).JPG  

remove - 64 (16).JPG  

11. Collapse Details

Little resin..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails remove - 64 (17).JPG   remove - 64 (18).JPG   remove - 64 (19).JPG  

12. Collapse Details

Than I ground the corner pieces to a perfect fit..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails remove - 64 (22).JPG   remove - 64 (20).JPG   remove - 64 (21).JPG  

13. Collapse Details

looks great keep it up.

14. Collapse Details

Great Project !!

15. Collapse Details

I did build a dash and glass it in last week but forgot to take pictures so I'll do that later. As of now I'm doing the bottom on my 34 Sea Ray getting her ready for summer and this project will be forced to sit.

But I did get this interesting picture of another person who cut there F-16 canopy off and made it an open 4-seater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 58 what not to do.jpg  

16. Collapse Details

This project is going to take a while with the kids racing, soccer, band and all the other normal family stuff.

As of now I have 1 free day a week to work on the boat - Wed night from 8:00pm till 10m

May - 12, 2010: I glassed the dash into place and used "Gunk" to blend in the edge of the dash to the deck. *Note the cardboard guage cluster for my layout
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 58.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

It's hard to tell but this is under the dash. I glassed each edge to the cockpit. I also made 4 braces attaching the front of the dash to the front bulkhead for strength and to help support the helm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 61.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

Banned
    Nice, just wonder why u used wood instead of foam ...is it still going to float ?????? LOL

19. Collapse Details

I than removed all the rigging * Just pulled it into the back and hide it..

The one side of the cockpit wall had a large "heavy" self that the fire extinguisher and a few other items sat on. We removed this and opened up the hole earlier in the project to allow easier access to the sponsor for glass work. Now I'm cleaning up the top so it will match the bottom and building a couple access panels. I than cut a scrap pc. of core to match the top to the bottom, I'll gunk it in later
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remove - 63.jpg   Remove - 64.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Nice, just wonder why u used wood instead of foam ...is it still going to float ?????? LOL
    I'll be using both, just right now I'm using the wood. So far I removed 398lbs of canopy, glass, wood and foam core and added approx 77lbs in glass, gunk, cloth and wood.