Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Don't want to hijack Rick's thread (very cool thread BTW Rick) but we ended up selling the Cougar to a guy who had "dreams" it just wasn't in the cards for us to get it done. So about 6 months ago a buddy of mine says "Hey I saw the Cougar" . Turns out it is about a mile from my house in a marina stall. Guy has hacked the top off and is trying to fabricate a canopy. He has told people he wants to hang like 4 outboards on the back and go 150 I am trying to get a chance to see it, might have to get some pics Good luck in SC, hope to see ya at the races!
    Ted, when you get pics I want to see it !

2. Collapse Details

Rick, Like I told you are doing a great job !

3. Collapse Details

I Photoshoped up a blue print and it seemed to work out better than expected.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cockpit%20-%20Workable.jpg   Cockpit%20-%20Workable -2.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

Spent the last week/weekend at a trade show for work so I did not do chit to the boat.. But I'm back at it now.

Today I did some more sanding/grinding.. yup, thats about it. I spent 10 hrs with a grinding wheel in hand.

I did start laying the 1708 cloth over the bulkheads, I was hoping to get them set into place today but with the cooler temps (50) They took there sweet time drying so I'll try for that next weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P2210026.JPG   P2210029.JPG   P2210030.JPG  

5. Collapse Details

Where we on the project Rick, and it's not a Dux it is a Ceaser far better SLT.

6. Collapse Details

This weekend I plan to attach and glass in the bulkheads than start attaching the sides. Cutting was easy, the glass work is allot more time consuming..

7. Collapse Details

I would like to see the photos of you glassing in the bulkheads. Great thread. Keep us posted. Bob

8. Collapse Details

Well I gunked in the parts yesterday and started "tacking" them into place with smaller pieces of 1708 cloth.

The gunk is the gray stuff in the corners. This gives the edges a small radius so the cloth does not do a sharp 90' degree angle and possibly have air voids.

Today I over lay larger pieces of cloth to really give the bulkhead a good bond to the boat.

Yes I'm a slob with the glass... I was hanging in a strange position and my chest and armpits now have funny looking bruises.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P2280064.JPG   P2280065.JPG   P2280066.JPG  

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    I was hanging in a strange position and my chest and armpits now have funny looking bruises.
    How about her??????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

10. Collapse Details

Looks great

11. Collapse Details

Rick , just a few questions ,do you think that a wind screen like a Skater 28 would look better then old school and what is the grey gunk ( putty ) in the corners D B F - BY CHANCE ?

12. Collapse Details

This weekend I plan to attach and glass in the bulkheads than start attaching the sides. Cutting was easy, the glass work is allot more time consuming..
    Rick , just remember if you want it to look nice take your time .

13. Collapse Details

Gunk is a marine style bondo i guess, Sparky from Vicious Marine can explain it better than I can I'm sure. so Hopefully he chime in and posts.

I don't mind that the bulkheads are not perfect, I just want them strong. Today I put the corner sheets on, than over lapped them, than over lapped those! When it was all said and done the last pieces of 1708 cloth were a little over 2ft long spanning out to the original hull and stringers.

Next weekend I'll grind them smooth and apply a couple more "larger sheets"

I would post picture but the camera is sitting back at the warehouse on my mid-section.

14. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would post picture but the camera is sitting on my mid-section.
    Now that's a picture I don't want to see......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

15. Collapse Details

Looks good Rick, I hope to start layin glass next week.

16. Collapse Details

Back at it today and May thanks to Bill for all his help. If anyone care Bill is one of the designers of the first 26 Redline BITD and is one hell of a layout man.

First we build the "side walls" outside the boat so all they needed to do was slid them into place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails removal 43.JPG   removal 53.JPG  
    Last edited by 2TR; 03-06-2010 at 10:22 PM.

17. Collapse Details

Once the parts were built Bill busted out the router to roll the edges. This keeps air voids to a minimum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails removal 44.JPG   removal 46.JPG   removal 45.JPG  

18. Collapse Details

Than we rolled the inside corners with the gunk. The reason we use gunk instead of bondo is gun is kicked with resin and in water proof were bondo is not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails removal 47.JPG   removal 48.JPG   removal 49.JPG  

19. Collapse Details

Next we pre-cut (well Bill did) each piece of cloth to make installation a breeze.

We than did the "Inside" first. This will keep my time smashed inside the sponson with resin and cloth to a minimum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails removal 50.JPG   removal 51.JPG   removal 52.JPG  

20. Collapse Details

After all the corners were done we laid one large sheet the full length of the part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails removal 57.JPG