Page 5 of 84 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic12 View Post
    Is that Duratec flexable? Would it work in the auto body world?
    It is not really made for metal and is a high build primer made for tooling . cosmic i remember using Duratec , working on mold's at Thompson boats over 37 years ago .
    Last edited by Offshore Ginger; 01-30-2010 at 07:41 PM.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
    They have had had some things like Feather fill and Sandy in the past.
    It looks alot like feather fill but might have more build to it, just wondering.

3. Collapse Details

Artie see this! we call it a Gym and Charge them for the workout. Just Joking thank you for looking.
    Steve , good one . Steve , everybody thinks sanding all day is a piece of cake because anybody can do it but have they ever hand sanded with a long board days on end even weeks , months ................... forget the gym , my work out is already done . i gotta say that i see so many younger guys try are type of work and it is alway the same either it is to dirty , nasty , or physical and if you really think about it i really love what i do but to stupid to do anything else but then again this just might be the begining of the end for young people wanting to do anything of this nature .

4. Collapse Details

It looks alot like feather fill but might have more build to it, just wondering.
    It does and like i said before it is a high build primer made for tooling .

5. Collapse Details

We have tried a lot of things and had chipping problems on the corners of some parts so back to epoxy Primers on the vette stuff.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

6. Collapse Details

Mr. Meyagi..... you need to find Danielson... paint the fence, wax the car, sand the plug....
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Steve , good one . Steve , everybody thinks sanding all day is a piece of cake because anybody can do it but have they ever hand sanded with a long board days on end even weeks , months ................... forget the gym , my work out is already done . i gotta say that i see so many younger guys try are type of work and it is alway the same either it is to dirty , nasty , or physical and if you really think about it i really love what i do but to stupid to do anything else but then again this just might be the begining of the end for young people wanting to do anything of this nature .
    It is a love affair with the Boats that blocks out the uncomfortable and the nasty conditions sometimes we have to deal with.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

8. Collapse Details

There was a meeting in the office one day, I was called in, Thad Allen, Randy Garcia, Steve Wilson’s Office I forget who else was there anyway it was decided that a Step bottom was needed as the first boat. Which presented me with an Array of Problems One my key guys (Brothers) were tied up on the plugs. I would have to train people on the fly. Second the Bottom could not be a copy of anything ever done, third I did not want to kill the boss in a flip and Forth there were a pair of 1250 HP Cobras with Dry Sump 6’s coming for it!

9. Collapse Details

Add a third project to that list in the last post ,The T-4!! Here is a pile of material, Plywood, Core in the boxes and Steel "I" Beams off on the left side a gift from Thad and Steve Wilson.

Anyway the "T" was for Titanium Hardware and Headers everything was planned a little different like lambo style hatch hinges on and on.

10. Collapse Details

In the Boxes was 1”A-600 Corecell which allowed me to use a simple frame system without Battens 24” (actually I could had went 30”) on center on the “I” beams which I set at 72” Apart (reason coming up) and painted the top of the beams white with wall paint which held my #2 Pencil layout Nice.

11. Collapse Details

Another I just used "C" clamps to hold the frames in place.

12. Collapse Details

It is a love affair with the Boats that blocks out the uncomfortable and the nasty conditions sometimes we have to deal with.
    Alright you old farts!!!
    I'm not kidding!!
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, nobody can put up with what a tough job you do, blah,blah,blah....
    And I ain't exactly a young buck at 38.
    I'm not afraid to work hard and bust my back and my azz.
    Spent 15 yrs working construction, and then construction died (we won't go political as to why) and I had to find a new profession in optics - and I hate my job.

I have a love for the boats.
    Send me a plane ticket and I'll be in your shop, ready to work.
    I got nothing to lose - nor do you.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

13. Collapse Details

Here is how the system works before I went home after standing the frames,I glued a bunch of pieces into long planks that were end matched. the green material is SP systems Spabond Epoxy Corebonding adhesive.

If you look at the profile of the end of that plank in my hand you will see how this system works. I came in in the morning and started planking. You set the first one Cove UP and fill using a drywall knife with the Spabond.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Alright you old farts!!!
    I'm not kidding!!
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, nobody can put up with what a tough job you do, blah,blah,blah....
    And I ain't exactly a young buck at 38.
    I'm not afraid to work hard and bust my back and my azz.
    Spent 15 yrs working construction, and then construction died (we won't go political as to why) and I had to find a new profession in optics - and I hate my job.

I have a love for the boats.
    Send me a plane ticket and I'll be in your shop, ready to work.
    I got nothing to lose - nor do you.
    LOL careful of what you wish for!!!!

15. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, get him Steve.......

Maybe we should take up a collection when you're building your next mold or hull......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

16. Collapse Details

I'm not kidding.
    I can be in a shop next week ready to work.
    I got nothing no reason not to.
    Experienced trim carpenter/detail/punch-out guy. I even like the smell of resin

17. Collapse Details

I, agree !!! Steve i love this part because people on this forum are getting a general idea of a Mack up and everything that is involved .

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Yeah, get him Steve.......

Maybe we should take up a collection when you're building your next mold or hull......
    Paul, the first boat I want to work on is yours

But really, I'm serious, this is something I've always wanted to do.

19. Collapse Details

Here is the beauty of this system where the Planks end Join just use a "Butt Block" and face screw them until the epoxy cures that simple clamp is a piece of 1/2" PVC Pipe that fits in the Cove. Amazing thing was it is like "self-Fairing" when the screws are removed.

I planked up past the crease and used a laser to mark the line then cut the planks off on the line then started up again with a dead straight fold in the side. Just as DA would want it.

20. Collapse Details

I, agree !!! Steve i love this part because people on this forum are getting a general idea of a Mack up and everything that is involved .
    Artie I am going to grab Chow Be back later, My eye are going cross from digging through these files, Thank you Mr Wilson for the pictures!