Thread: safety pods ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Registered
    both

2. Collapse Details

We are evaluating these very options currently. In fact we are meeting with Lockheed Martin today to discuss these concepts and others, in depth with experienced Aeronautic and Hydrodynamic engineers. We will begin water pressure testing on our composites and windscreens to get base "true data" numbers on what they can handle. The consensus seems to be that and "indestructible pod" is not that difficult a concept to implement.

There are several builders and teams serious about a joint venture to enhance survivability. If you are than contact me.

Rich is correct the chances of surviving a mishap in our high speed cats is minimal significantly smaller in an open poker run boat. Sheer physics . 140mph prepare for extreme water pressure

In the meantime, all/any of the research,resources and equipment being put into developing a safer cockpit for Miss GEICO will be made available to any race team looking to strengthen their cockpit. Call or PM me to discuss.
    Miss GEICO

Boost won't save you.

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    I always hoped haggins legacy would be, in setting the trend in offshore racing safety .Now thats $$$ well spent .( big smile )

4. Collapse Details

Idividual or single has a better chance than a side by side. I have always been a big fan of what Buzzi did with his pod. A propper roll cage will also help in the eventual collision of two or more boats.

Some of the other areas are shock mitigation and a hans type device to restrain the head on impact as well. It all makes it tough to swim but at least you should be able to survive the first part.

CFD can take some of the sting out of the initial cost of design and testing. I have a friend that has a PHD in this if anyone is interested.

pat W
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions

5. Collapse Details

Swimming is irrelevant if your already dead.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

6. Collapse Details

I believe the safety pod is designed to break away intact from a disintegrating boat and is usually retrieved floating by the rescue crew. Is it likely that a big offshore cat would disintegrate in the same way? Imagine a scenario with a typical crash, the boat upside down and the crew trapped in a safety pod still embedded in the boat.....not sure I like that idea.

7. Collapse Details

I have looked at all the offshore crash piks/stories etc I could get my hands on. Maybe I am wrong. but in pretty much every case, the boat has not immediatly gone down. unlltd hydros, drag boats and offshore cats all will do 180~200. the offshore boat is built SIGNIFICANTLY stronger

8. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatwave View Post
    I believe the safety pod is designed to break away intact from a disintegrating boat and is usually retrieved floating by the rescue crew. Is it likely that a big offshore cat would disintegrate in the same way? Imagine a scenario with a typical crash, the boat upside down and the crew trapped in a safety pod still embedded in the boat.....not sure I like that idea.
    If they have air for ample time ,then yes it seems to be the way to go . As of now our freinds are usually gone on impact .
    Last edited by mdkeywest; 01-29-2010 at 09:32 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Here are some different shots that I have from the old days.

Khalfan in Norway 1999 did not sink. Stuffed on the outside leg. They towed it in backwards. It returned to Dubai where they put a whole new nose on it and we had a zipper sticker made...

Steve in Nice 1990 sank The inly thing that happend besides stained shorts is the canopy opened (hinged at the back) and became a water intake during the stuff. Steve said that when Vincenzo Polli wanted to get out Steve had to get out first then VP. After the stuff all steve saw was Vincenzo's feet paddling by as he was trying to undo his belts.

Saeed in Rome 1999 did not sink. He launched and fractured the sponson/deck and tried to run back and blew the tip off.

pat W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-31-2009_003.jpg   steve.jpg   pat4 011.jpg  

Last edited by shifter; 01-31-2010 at 01:04 AM.

10. Collapse Details

How many times have Canopied Vees had deadly or serious canopy failure in a rollover? Seems like it is always a cat.

11. Collapse Details

Vee's tend to roll, cats tend to go airborn and splat with a much more focused release of kenetic energy.. entirely different physics.

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    How many times have Canopied Vees had deadly or serious canopy failure in a rollover? Seems like it is always a cat.
    Never really thought about it, but you are correct. I'm going with Rob's opinion on this one until pointed out differently.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

13. Collapse Details

or hook, plus in most cases aren't running as extreme speeds.

Raceboats- most cats are canopy where most V's aren't. I know- obvious observation but still a good reason not as much data out there.

14. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    or hook, plus in most cases aren't running as extreme speeds.
    I know what you mean by extreme Mark, but most of the disastrous crashes we've had are under the 130 mph speed, and many Vee's run above that.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

15. Collapse Details

a 10,500 lb cat (850 cat) running at 140 has nearly 2.5 times the energy than a 8500 lb vee (SV) running 100. If the accident happens in the same time frame, the deceleration of the cat is also much more severe obviously.

Vee's also tend to hook or spin first, scrubbing speed. When cats do that, they generally have little damage as well. The blow overs and violent high side type crashes are hard on the ole canopy when you re-enter the water without scrubbing much speed.

16. Collapse Details

How many V race classes are over 130? Even 10 years ago, cats were running say 100 and V's were 30% less? Not facts, just in general I'd think? 130 in a cat is fairly simple (if you will) compared to that is pushing the limits in a V (I know- lot of V's can do 130 but considering a V takes 1075's and a cat takes what, twin 2.5 outboards?)

I know what I'm thinking, just not sure how to say it.

17. Collapse Details

lets look at an easily identifiable example.. a vee is pretty much a tube, granted the top is a lot flatter than the bottom, but it will roll and spin without much problem.. Drop a hotdog into a bucket of water, it ges sploosh... now smack the bucket of water with a spatula (a big flat cat deck), it doesnt sploosh... it splats hard.

18. Collapse Details

On this stuff it was running just about 100mph. The canopy failed on the throttle side. When I checked out the canopy after the event the flange that held the canopy in was bent out. The canopy was moved back (was a 4 seater) to make it a two seater. The bulkhead to support the front of the canopy was not moved or added at the new location. The deck was leveraged to the bulkhead 4 ft. The bottom canopy/pod was not supported to the stringers either. When the pressure was applied to the wind shield the deck flexed down popping out the piece of the 1/2 inch thick acrylic.

Sequence from San Juan Puerto Rico. Approx 120mph. boat was ok I lked the sequence because it shows how high he was to start. Lots od kite surface compared to a vee.

Polli about to stuff. 130mph. I do not know how it came out..

Different kinds of accidents to think about.

pat W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X1A.jpg   n1037018166_373187_2587361.jpg   polli.bmp  

19. Collapse Details

Banned
    Well, i don't know much about canopys, but i do know if u stuff a boat @ 70 ..its brutal.
    I did it, in a open 33 pleasure boat.
    Threw me out of the front seat , feet got hooked to the steering wheel and my back is still bad today. Boat damage, actually not to bad for a PP ( 1990 model), deck opend up in front and front bulkhead broke loose.
    Other then that ,,cockpit stayed dry even though i was completley under water ( seen video ,that somebody actually made while it happend ) .

Boat still running strong today!!!!

This pic, is after it was fixed, thats the reason i made the back of the seat higher !!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic_0074_149.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Shifter..just throwing this idea out there.. in the event of a stuff as you pictured, the drawings posted by others show a V bulkhead in front of the cockpit in case of a hull breach during a stuff. If on was to carry that a step further and build a v shaped lip on the deck say 4" high, (picture a mini fairing) that wouldn't necessarily deflect all the water over the deck in a stuff, but would it create enough of directional change/ instill turbulence that it would reduce the kinetic energy directed at the windshield?