Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

here are some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 34565.jpeg   124.jpeg  

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WMF View Post
    Hey John, If you look at my post on OSO, I had the hatch removed and repainted, it was supposed to be repainted and resealed with 5200, it never leaked until it got cold in the last 2 months, that really burns me up. I paid those people good money to do everything right!!, but I guess when you only pay 17,000 for paint work that is what you get. As for the motors what have you found to have caused the failures on the motors?? It looks good in front of your house, I kinda miss it, no not really, I miss all the money I spent!!!!
    No offense... you got screwed. That hatch should have been scrapped. Bad design. That inner square ring of gasket (in the pic, shown as an indentation) was a failure point. The gasket would have been showing as black rubber before the paint. The "car guys" as I affectionately call them simply painted over that gasket. The paint failed, all came off of the rubber, and that's why the hatch leaked. It needs to come off and a one piece solid hatch needs to be installed. Paint aint the answer. Although they did do a nice resto on the hull, forward gunwales and the deck. I love the new logos.

Engines will come out in the next couple of days. I have a friend in the area with a shop who has done work for me in the past. I like working with him. They are coming out at his shop. My hunch is that the port is toast and the SB has a broken timing chain. It is what it is.

The bad hatch did the interior no favors. I will probably have the cushions replaced over the winter.
    The boat needs nav lights also. They are kind of funny about that around here.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

3. Collapse Details

Hey John any updates yet???????

4. Collapse Details

Boat was successfully delivered to my guy's shop last Friday.

He wasn't able to tackle it immediately... but it will only take him a matter of hours to tear them down and see how bad the blocks are or are not. Then we will go from there. Meanwhile I have been planning the re-rig.
    Going with new control cables for sure.

Next time that I get the boat home, I will find my wiring route for the side nav lights. I think that I am legal skipping a bow light (Something about vessels under 60 feet can do a wide arc white nav/mast light, side lights and a transom light.) but I need to check. I will need to get a new mast, because the one with the boat is a 360 degree mooring light. No good for running.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

5. Collapse Details

John - Are you sure on the 360 degree light for mooring only? It was my understanding that the white light must be visible 360 degrees at all times after dusk and then if you are mooring, only that light would be illuminated and the others could be turned off?

The website below is a good source of all requirements. When you get to the lighting part, click on the information icon and it shows pictures of lighting requirements.

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/vsc/vsc_a.html

6. Collapse Details

there just lights...if you get stuck call me.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

7. Collapse Details

you cant' put a mast on that!
    find a way to run a wire, there had to be one at one time.
    You can always put a separate small battery up in the bow, run a short wire to the light, and go turn it on when you need it.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BGIII View Post
    John - Are you sure on the 360 degree light for mooring only? It was my understanding that the white light must be visible 360 degrees at all times after dusk and then if you are mooring, only that light would be illuminated and the others could be turned off?

The website below is a good source of all requirements. When you get to the lighting part, click on the information icon and it shows pictures of lighting requirements.

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/vsc/vsc_a.html

Power-driven Vessels

(Sail Vessel under machinery power is considered a power-driven vessel).

If your power-driven vessel is less than 65.5 feet/20 meters in length, then it must display navigation lights per Figure 1. Figure 1 is a 217 degree forward facing white navigation light in combination with a white stern light.

If your power-driven vessel is less than 39.4 feet/12 meters in length, then it may display navigation lights per Figure 2. Figure 2 is a 360 degree mast light with no stern light.

If your power-driven vessel is less than 23 feet/7 meters in length and its maximum speed cannot exceed 7 knots, then it may display an all-round white light, and if practicable, sidelights instead of the lights prescribed previously. (For International Rules only)

Figure 1 (22b) and Figure 2 (22d) attached.
    We tend to use a forward facing white nav light in combination with a white stern light around here. It reduces glare at the helm somewhat on an offshore style boat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p22b.gif   p22d.gif  

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by stormrider View Post
    you cant' put a mast on that!
    find a way to run a wire, there had to be one at one time.
    You can always put a separate small battery up in the bow, run a short wire to the light, and go turn it on when you need it.
    Fishing the wires is not a challenge. Just deciding where I want to drill holes is all.

10. Collapse Details

BOATS UNDER 12 METERS (39.4')

Powerboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5°, visible 1 n.m., placed above hull at least 1 meter (3.3') below masthead light. Masthead: white, 225°, visible 2 n.m., at least 1 meter above side lights. White stern light, 135°, visible 2 n.m. OR, one all-round (360°) white light (should also have sidelights).

Sounds like you can do it either way. I have a 360° light on a rather long post on the stern rather than the type that is mounted midship like I see on a lot of boats. I understand what you mean about the glare the midship mounted lights cause, they seem like a huge distraction to the driver.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BGIII View Post
    BOATS UNDER 12 METERS (39.4')

Powerboats-Separate or combination red and green sidelights, 112.5°, visible 1 n.m., placed above hull at least 1 meter (3.3') below masthead light. Masthead: white, 225°, visible 2 n.m., at least 1 meter above side lights. White stern light, 135°, visible 2 n.m. OR, one all-round (360°) white light (should also have sidelights).

Sounds like you can do it either way. I have a 360° light on a rather long post on the stern rather than the type that is mounted midship like I see on a lot of boats. I understand what you mean about the glare the midship mounted lights cause, they seem like a huge distraction to the driver.
    Exactly. Yes... 225 degrees. I was guessing with the 217. Kind of pulled it from thin air.

So... I am thinking:
    Sidelights for port and starboard, (red and green) mounted midships. White Stern light, and white 225 degree nav light that becomes 360 with the switch to anchoring vs. navigating.
    My concern is leaving the forward tip of the deck unlit. (By not using the combo light)
    But I guess it was unlit on my last (26 foot Stinger) boat also.

12. Collapse Details

You can see where my side lights are mounted in this photo (at least you can see the red one). I have no lights on the forward bow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OSO #3.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

I think that is exactly what I will do.

Thanks.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    My concern is leaving the forward tip of the deck unlit. (By not using the combo light)
    But I guess it was unlit on my last (26 foot Stinger) boat also.
    Don't be too concerned, we don't have any front bow nav lights and it's awesome!

Our nav lights are on each side and last winter we removed the front mid-ship nav light (it was too small and right in our eyes at night), so we put in a pull up 360 Nav light in the back of the boat with no stern light and it meets the height requirement and is very visible.

All the wiring was there from the stern light and it was very easy to hookj up. The nav light is also availabe in power. We purchased it from Livorsi.
    Queen of Bammin'

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefApache View Post
    Don't be too concerned, we don't have any front bow nav lights and it's awesome!

Our nav lights are on each side and last winter we removed the front mid-ship nav light (it was too small and right in our eyes at night), so we put in a pull up 360 Nav light in the back of the boat with no stern light and it meets the height requirement and is very visible.

All the wiring was there from the stern light and it was very easy to hookj up. The nav light is also availabe in power. We purchased it from Livorsi.
    you got any pics of that?
    www.41apache.com

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by viperfitness1 View Post
    you got any pics of that?
    No, and we're out of town this weekend so it will be another week before I would be abel to take pics. I'll try and remember to do that.
    Queen of Bammin'

17. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=ChiefApache;10103

Our nav lights are on each side [/QUOTE]

Does anyone know which side the red light goes on??

Fund - good luck withthe project. Keep the photos coming.

18. Collapse Details

Thanks inbetween. Good to know Barb. I may go that way. I remember how hard that I fought the midship forward light running at night. I'd really don't like running at night, but I want to be ready and prepared when it happens. Sending the nav light aftward may be good.

19. Collapse Details

fundy..you can dig thru lites saturday
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    fundy..you can dig thru lites saturday
    Thanks you phraggy. No cookies. No time... just saying, I'm sorry.