1. Collapse Details
    Steering Leak, External Hydraulic Ram
    registered
    Hey fellas,

I discovered I have an ever-so-slight leak coming from my external hydraulic ram. I see a couple drops on the ground where my boat is stored, and a small drop of red fluid dangling from where the piston meets the cylinder.
    See photo for location.

I discovered this last night. The boat's been sitting for about 2 weeks, and prior to last night's finding I had no indication of any leaking. This is new.

I wiped everything up at the site of the leak and dried it completely. I fired the steering motor and actuated the steering full left to full right about 50 times. I saw no fluid or leaking. But after it sat all night, I see a drop dangling from the seal there again. Again, it's only like a drop or two on the ground.

The reservoir is full, so there's no major loss of fluid, just a few drops.

Also, the steering behaves perfectly normally and is tight.

(1)Is this something you guy would consider a simple nuisance leak or something more serious to be concerned with?

(2)What's the fluid? I assume it's ATF by look and feel.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steering.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

ATF is what's in mine, You can run it but get it fixed cause if oil can get out salt water can get in.
    Run until it sounds expensive

3. Collapse Details

Banned
    Salt water will not get it, the only reason oil gets out on a small leak like that is because there is over 1000 PSI on it !!!!!!!

Its an o-ring under the threaded part of the flange. EASY FIX, o-ring u can buy at NAPA !!!! or any hydraulic shop !!!!

4. Collapse Details

registered
    Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Salt water will not get it, the only reason oil gets out on a small leak like that is because there is over 1000 PSI on it !!!!!!!

Its an o-ring under the threaded part of the flange. EASY FIX, o-ring u can buy at NAPA !!!! or any hydraulic shop !!!!
    Not when the engine is off and you're sitting at the bar having cocktails!

If it were me I'd probably run it for the weekend and keep an eye on the levels but get new seals and scrapers. You can probably do it yourself!

Good luck, enjoy the weather!

6. Collapse Details

registered
    Thanks again. Had a great ride. Alls normal. Were at hula bay. Beautiful out here. Ill get it taken care of tomorrow.

7. Collapse Details

They don't typically "just go bad". You may have a ding on the shaft somewhere that's cut the wiper. That's alot more than an o-ring in there. Those are double-acting cylinders and they'll have either T-seals or polypaks on the piston and the cap. Will have a wiper in the cap too. You have to be careful not to nick the seal on reassembly- they probabaly have female threads in the cap and if the bore isn't chamfered well on the tube, you can scuff the seal- and it's done. Thake a look at the bores- they need to be free of any longitudinal marks. You can mildly hone them with a brake cylinder hone on a drill but extension. Slow speed, correct cutting oil and fine stones. Then a very thorough cleaning.

8. Collapse Details

Banned
    I cleaned mine with a scotch brite and it worked perfect. The o-ring right behind the cap was gone on mine ,,,same slow leak !!!

U be amazed how simple a trim cylinder is , once u open it up .LOL

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Is it Latham? Give them a call.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Yes...Give'um a call if Latham. Great company to deal with.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    U be amazed how simple a trim cylinder is , once u open it up .LOL
    No doubt, I thought the same thing!!!

These are easy by comparison having rebuilt a 10 ft (closed) hydraulic ram for the forklift at the marina!

12. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    They don't typically "just go bad". You may have a ding on the shaft somewhere that's cut the wiper. That's alot more than an o-ring in there. Those are double-acting cylinders and they'll have either T-seals or polypaks on the piston and the cap. Will have a wiper in the cap too. You have to be careful not to nick the seal on reassembly- they probabaly have female threads in the cap and if the bore isn't chamfered well on the tube, you can scuff the seal- and it's done. Thake a look at the bores- they need to be free of any longitudinal marks. You can mildly hone them with a brake cylinder hone on a drill but extension. Slow speed, correct cutting oil and fine stones. Then a very thorough cleaning.
    Many thanks guys.

Chris, the piston is smooth and uniform. I looked it over very carefully at full extension - No scratches, scars, nicks or anything evident.

13. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    No. It's a WPM system.

14. Collapse Details

Not the piston, the rod. Thats where the nicks would be.

15. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Not the piston, the rod. Thats where the nicks would be.
    Sorry, that's what I meant - the external visible polished rod at full extension.