Page 27 of 65 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

General rule 1.6, All boats must be approved. (This applies to all classes.)

I don't care who brings what, not my business. A team building a new boat thats never raced in that class before might want to get an 'okay' before they spend the money though.

Although with a new Fountain already built and with Outerlimits on the drawing board/production, it's only a matter of time if the class grows and offers good incentives (tv, prize money, etc) that somebody shows up with a better mousetrap.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Dean your boat will be 10 years old soon too. You don't want to race against a modern version of a superV any more then we are going to like racing this new Fountain. .
    You are right Jim, but as mentioned here, SVL is a premier class with worldwide TV coverage, and the support of P1 and UIM. To maintain that status, it must move forward like P1 and X Class.

SVL has its own race series, $10k purses, P1, UIM, and its own TV series. With those resources how could you expect to keep running 10 yr old equipment from 2 only manufacturers?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post

Am i glad, that i did not get the money together 4 month ago to have Will start me a new Phantom !!!!!!!!!!!
    And i tried !!!!!!
    And as usual, it was quite embarrassing for offshore racing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DD n Sarasota.jpg  
    www.tntoffshore.com

"El Racing boat es una pasion que se lleva en la sangre"

4. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    Why would anyone be foolisish enough to build a new boat without checking with the class?

Do not blame the class. Preparation is everything and we all know what happens when you assume.
    Steve
    Steve, no need to get personal,, what i mean ..is actually i don't understand why it would not be allowed !

Did not mean to say he is right or u guys are..just trying to understand the RULE !!!!

And i really don't know on what it is based..like Sean said..needs aproval...from who and by which rules ?????

Sorry

5. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing View Post
    And as usual, it was quite embarrassing for offshore racing
    Why did u have to show my picture ????

6. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    You are right Jim, but as mentioned here, SVL is a premier class with worldwide TV coverage, and the support of P1 and UIM. To maintain that status, it must move forward like P1 and X Class.

SVL has its own race series, $10k purses, P1, UIM, and its own TV series. With those resources how could you expect to keep running 10 yr old equipment from 2 only manufacturers?
    Just like Nascar. They still runs carburetors, 15 inch tires, and 20 year old designs, but it is good racing.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post

What SVL really has is George and a handful of guys who have been racing for the last few years, who got together so they could have fun with their stuff. The fact is that they got blindsided one week before their first race in part by the P1 USA rep who also works at Fountain. Many of us have seen this movie before and know exactly how it ends and it ain't good for George and the handful of guys. They will get steamrolled and eventually they will quit. This first Fountain will be obsolete in no time whatsoever and within a couple of years there will be 18 different SVL classes each with one or two boats.

Look, Fountain is doing exactly what it should do - acting in its own self-interest. The current SVL owners have the exact same right.

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Miklos View Post
    we all know what happens when you assume.
    Steve
    Yes sir it makes an a$$ out of u and me!!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    Do you guys know how many races I was dq'ed before I actually got to run the Cig back in 2000 because I was building a better mouse trap.....Mike A knows because he was the one doing the dq'ing as well as Martin but I eventually got it like it was supposed to be and still crashed the damn thing!!! My point is that he should have gotten the ok first!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

10. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stinson View Post
    Yes sir it makes an a$$ out of u and me!!!!!
    Let me assume again, you are all a bunch of p$$'s wyhning about a 17 year old racing a new boat that u don't even know if it will run 90 yet ????!!!!!!!

You guys are funny....but hey,,i love to be the one to blame all the time...

11. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Does it say in the rule book you have to get a ok from george or the class if you are building something that fits within the rules? I have only heard that you would need to check with the class if you wanted to try and get something that didn't really fit in the rules to run in that class.

12. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    the facts are ,, as of right now ,their is a pic of a boat at Reggies dock,, knowone has made any claim of ownership,or what they intend to do with it,,,the rules state that any boat wishing to race , must have designated molds and be PREAPPROVED for competition,,,, it,s not eligable for this season !! this boat could just be testing in the p classes for this season and getting ready for p-1 in 2011
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

13. Collapse Details

Competitor
    There it is. Sounds good George.

14. Collapse Details

Gentlemen, this is an interesting approach to what we all like to consider a sport.

Fountain did ask me about the rules weeks ago, and I referred them to the rule books. This is not a "Factory" boat, it is a customer boat, and it is not my place to make determinations on what is or is not legal outside of the rules as determined by each organization.

I was not made aware that this boat was indeed being built until a few weeks ago myself, and did not hear it from the factory, or, the boat owner. However, I can clarify a few facts that seem to be of some importance to the discussion.

1. The boat is built out of the production 33 Lightning mold, with the swim platform blocked out.
    2. The deck is built out of the production canopy mold and fitted to the 33 Lightning hull.
    3. I am told that the boat actually measures just under 30’ (29’11”) so it should be a comparable match to the existing fleet, considering that it also has the Fountain nose that really does not add to the running surface.
    4. The final weight of the boat is going to be within the 4750 pound requirement.
    5. Since Fountain filed for Chapter 11, I can assure everyone that there is no such thing as the kind of “factory support” that is being suggested here. They simply no longer have those resources.

A manufacturer built a boat well within the letter, sprit and intent of the rules and it is being challenged and considered for DQ based upon the notion of how it might run? If the boat is illegal, then let the rules take care of it.

From my perspective, this class has accomplished something that has not been done for nearly 10 years. Someone built a new boat to compete in a spec class. The SVL class is to be commended for that. That is the kind of thing that this “sport” and the marine industry in general need today. We can only hope that more racers decide to get into this class and seek out both new and existing manufacturers to build more boats.

Martin Sanborn

15. Collapse Details

Very well said Martin.

DQing a boat that falls within the rules is absurd!

Wil

16. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Sanborn View Post
    Gentlemen, this is an interesting approach to what we all like to consider a sport.

Fountain did ask me about the rules weeks ago, and I referred them to the rule books. This is not a "Factory" boat, it is a customer boat, and it is not my place to make determinations on what is or is not legal outside of the rules as determined by each organization.

I was not made aware that this boat was indeed being built until a few weeks ago myself, and did not hear it from the factory, or, the boat owner. However, I can clarify a few facts that seem to be of some importance to the discussion.

1. The boat is built out of the production 33 Lightning mold, with the swim platform blocked out.
    2. The deck is built out of the production canopy mold and fitted to the 33 Lightning hull.
    3. I am told that the boat actually measures just under 30’ (29’11”) so it should be a comparable match to the existing fleet, considering that it also has the Fountain nose that really does not add to the running surface.
    4. The final weight of the boat is going to be within the 4750 pound requirement.
    5. Since Fountain filed for Chapter 11, I can assure everyone that there is no such thing as the kind of “factory support” that is being suggested here. They simply no longer have those resources.

A manufacturer built a boat well within the letter, sprit and intent of the rules and it is being challenged and considered for DQ based upon the notion of how it might run? If the boat is illegal, then let the rules take care of it.

From my perspective, this class has accomplished something that has not been done for nearly 10 years. Someone built a new boat to compete in a spec class. The SVL class is to be commended for that. That is the kind of thing that this “sport” and the marine industry in general need today. We can only hope that more racers decide to get into this class and seek out both new and existing manufacturers to build more boats.

Martin Sanborn

Martin what the sport needs is a spec class with boats that race close and show up reguarly.

Martin you know all to well how this story ends.
    I can afford a new boat, some can some cannot.
    Even if everyone could afford a new boat it would take 2 years to replace the fleet.

As the former homologation director of APBA Offshore and with your experience you know exactly what to do here, so do the right thing.

P class is a great technology platform.
    Steve

17. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I am put at ease knowing it is built from the 33 mold and Not the 35 mold. Since that is the case I believe it is within the letter, spirit, and intent of the rules..Using the 35 mold would NOT!!

Again, I say the more the merrier. Lets go racing.

Thanks Martin

18. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I am put at ease knowing it is built from the 33 mold and Not the 35 mold. Since that is the case I believe it is within the letter, spirit, and intent of the rules..Using the 35 mold would NOT!!

Again, I say the more the merrier. Lets go racing.

Thanks Martin
    Jimmy
    How is this a dedicated mold?
    Steve

19. Collapse Details

Jimmy,

Why wouldn't the "35'" less swim platform be legal if it is 32'?

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    We can split hairs. Progress is inevitable. A 33 with the platform plugged is a 30 give or take a few inches. We need growth. I want to race the best.. We need to take the good with the bad. Who knows it may have some short comings. Maybe not.. If it is a run away I hope the owner will do what is best for the class he chose to race in.. And except some form of adjustment.. Maybe I am naive.

We have a new player in our group. Lets work on continuing growth and welcome him.

Lets Race. We have a great bunch here and I am proud to be a part of.

Now if it was from a 35 mold I would feel differently.. Whole different story. It would need to be cut down to make length in may estimation.