Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    It is far from perfect, but it is the the best thing we could come up with to increase our class boat count.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 1waterboy1 View Post
    SUPER VEE LIGHT is a great class, but that is not doing your class or the sport any good in my opinion.We need one professional organization with all classes..spec and bracket.Individual classes running a seperate series in three different organizations just further fragments the sport.This has been proven not only in offshore powerboat racing,but other forms of motorsports as well.How can any organization move forward in securing race sites and sponsors without some sort of committment from the race teams.
    As a site promoter and racer, I could not agree more. When a class of racers band together and move that class to just a few sites in different orgs it helps no one other than the racing class. Promoters sign the Org with expectations of boat counts, Orgs budget sites based on boat count, Hotels and bars do so to. When an Org has 50 boats at one site and then 35-40 at the next it's not good. When the sites that get hurt and don't come back, how can that be good for the sport? Pro Series started it, then Cat OB and now the SVL teams. How can a site sign a 2 -3 yr deal and than the teams bouycott the site?

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckdoctor View Post
    well im a newbie just gettin into the class, gotta admit i never really cared for the "light" part of the name. dont care much for pro am either...

svs super vee single ??
    ss super single

kinda dig the evolution idea that goes with the p1 style name also. gotta admit, just getting into the sport coming from the drag racing side, its pretty confusing with the diffrent series having diffrent names for the same class's . be nice to see some unification on class's and names to make it a little clearer for the general public to know whats what in offshore
    Welcome to the site,

You bought it???????????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

I have seen what SVL has done in other motorsports and have seen it successfully done. How can it be good for the sport?? If SVL is successful, maybe he orgs should look at why?? If one race has 50 boats, and another race has 13 boats, the people with 13 boats need to look outside themselve to figure out why. TRy to think of it in terms of food. you have 3~4 different rest. chains, You have a diner who prefers to only eat at certain resteraunts, reguardless of chain. WHY? is it the food at a particular rest.? Location? Right now you have more orgs, venues, and classes than boats to fill. Basic supply and demand, you have an excess of venues classes and orgs that have a great demand for boats. In this case the boat (or series of boats) dictates what they want. No org or venue will be successfull unless they meet those terms. Thats basic 7th grade supply and demand math. If you want boats at your race, your race must make itself attractive to the boats.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

5. Collapse Details

We, as a class have decided last fall, that we were going to choose races we wanted to be part of our series. We decided to do this because we wanted to keep all the teams together as a class, therefore doing races with other orgs to keep everyone together and happy. It has nothing to do with boycotting a race site. So lets not turn this into a lynching. Some teams cannot commit to an entire schedule, therefore picking 5 or 6 races they can commit to. With that said, we will have 7 - 10 boats at those sites. Hopefully, 11 or 12. We are still working out some logistics with our schedule. Once again, choosing a new name is a bit premature. As you all know, its very difficult to keep everyone happy in racing. We, as a class are trying to keep it together, as difficult as it is.

6. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    SS class has never done this...... I have raced every OSS race for the past 3 seasons.... What these guys are doing is building there class! Don't down them for it. With 7 boats in the S class last year at the worlds we too are building up. Imagine that the two smallest spec classes are going to have the majority of the boats at a race site. By the end of the year we may be back up to 10 boats with a little luck and getting people motivated.... good job SVL we'll see ya'll in Biloxi!
    Ryan Beckley

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Welcome to the site,

You bought it???????????
    Don't have it yet, I'm in st Louis and he is in Syracuse. Both our schedules are crazy for the next three or four weeks, planning on going up last week in feb to pick up. Cant wait! By the way, new here, who is ratical??

8. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    SUPER VEE LIGHT is a great class, but that is not doing your class or the sport any good in my opinion.We need one professional organization with all classes..spec and bracket.Individual classes running a seperate series in three different organizations just further fragments the sport.This has been proven not only in offshore powerboat racing,but other forms of motorsports as well.How can any organization move forward in securing race sites and sponsors without some sort of committment from the race teams.
    Well it actually is doing our class good we had 11 owners on our class call .which included 2 new teams. As for one prof,org to run all classes,,,we can,t do anything about that but wait and listen. there are about 20 classes in offshore today,,,we are only 1 (the biggest one ) but only 1 ,,not all the teams can run every event ,so we all decide on how many and where we race,it,s a simple plan,,,sometimes we have to change,,but with about 16 race sites in the country we can always find a schedule to run.
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckdoctor View Post
    Don't have it yet, I'm in st Louis and he is in Syracuse. Both our schedules are crazy for the next three or four weeks, planning on going up last week in feb to pick up. Cant wait! By the way, new here, who is ratical??
    Just one of the nobody's. Happen to really enjoy racing, the SVL guys and gals, and looking at buying a race boat. Congrats, that was one I was looking into. Here's some links to some of this years fun.....

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...light=Ratickle

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...light=st+clair
    Last edited by Ratickle; 01-30-2010 at 08:47 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Charter Member
    Thumbs down
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    I have seen what SVL has done in other motorsports and have seen it successfully done. How can it be good for the sport?? If SVL is successful, maybe he orgs should look at why?? If one race has 50 boats, and another race has 13 boats, the people with 13 boats need to look outside themselve to figure out why. TRy to think of it in terms of food. you have 3~4 different rest. chains, You have a diner who prefers to only eat at certain resteraunts, reguardless of chain. WHY? is it the food at a particular rest.? Location? Right now you have more orgs, venues, and classes than boats to fill. Basic supply and demand, you have an excess of venues classes and orgs that have a great demand for boats. In this case the boat (or series of boats) dictates what they want. No org or venue will be successfull unless they meet those terms. Thats basic 7th grade supply and demand math. If you want boats at your race, your race must make itself attractive to the boats.
    I really think you have this backwards.Offshore powerboat racing and all of the race teams need to make themselves more attractive to race sites and sponsors.If we want great race sites that attract alot of fans we need to improve the racing product.Once we have developed something that people really want to see,the value of sport will be greatly increased.Media coverage will follow.This will allow the sanctioning body(there needs to be only one) race promoters(there needs to be many) and race teams(there needs to be many) to secure sponsorships.The long term overall effect will be more money at every level of the sport.

If the race teams really want things to improve they have to do thier part in helping the overall sport,not just thier own class.

Imagine if you owned a drag strip and you wanted to host an NHRA race;but they told you we hope all of our cars and classes will come but we dont know...the Top Fuel Dragsters and Pro-Stocks may be going to another race that weekend because they think its a better deal for them!How would you be able to approach anyone for sponsorship for the race without really knowing what you would be able to offer in return?
    Last edited by 1waterboy1; 01-31-2010 at 09:27 AM.

11. Collapse Details

Banned
    I really think you have this backwards.Offshore powerboat racing and all of the race teams need to make themselves more attractive to race sites and sponsors.If we want great race sites that attract alot of fans we need to improve the racing product.Once we have developed something that people really want to see,the value of sport will be greatly increased.Media coverage will follow.This will allow the sanctioning body(there needs to be only one) race promoters(there needs to be many) and race teams(there needs to be many) to secure sponsorships.The long term overall effect will be more money at every level of the sport.

If the race teams really want things to improve they have to do thier part in helping the overall sport,not just thier own class.

I think you are correct and the above , the way u explained it is nice.

Imagine if you owned a drag strip and you wanted to host an NHRA race;but they told you by them we hope all of our cars and classes will come but we dont know...the Top Fuel Dragsters and Pro-Stocks may be going to another race that weekend because they think its a better deal for them!How would you be able to approach anyone for sponsorship for the race without really knowing what you would be able to offer in return?
    I thik , that is what he ment...... because if everybody jumps around, nobody can comitt to anything !!! IMO

ITS ACTUALLY ALL OF THE RACERS THAT NEED TO STICK TOGETHER, ALOT OF TALK ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME BUT NOBODY WALKS WITH IT !!!!!

I THINK GEORGE , IS TRYING HIS WAY AND OTHER RUN THE OTHER WAY !!!!!!
    THIS IS ECSACLY WHATS WRONG WITH THE SPORT !

IF EVERY RACER WOULD BE ON THE SAME PAGE, THERE WOULD BE NO WAY THE ORG. COULD DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT .

LETS JUST SAY EVERYBODY WOULD JUST FOLLOW SVL ( THEY'R SCHEDULE ),
    6 RACE SITES WOULD BE OVER FILLED AND CROWDS WOULD LOVE IT !!!

BUT IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN,,,THE GREED GETS IN THE WAY AGAIN .
    ONCE THIS HAPPENS , THAT EVERY RACER IS ON THE SAME PAGE.....IT WILL BE LIKE IT WAS ONCE.......BUT I WILL NOT SEE IT IN MY LIVE AND I AM ONLY 38 !!!

12. Collapse Details

Mark & Phragle,

You both have valid points, however the name of this thread is "SVL's we need a name???Help"

Bottom line is that the previous class rep buried the class to where only 3 boats showed up to each race. At one time, this class had in upwards of 10 boats. Did the 7 boats go and start racing with OPA? not on a consistent basis Did they go and race with SBI? once If memory serves me correctly they disappeared and parked their boats at home and quit racing altogether for the better part. I applaud George and what he is trying to put together as now allegedly there are 8-12 boats coming out and plan to participate this season in that class. Obviously, the proof is in the pudding and we shall see who actually does show, but my gut tells me that they will show. Now we as offshore racers want to come on here and beat up on George and his guys, because they made a decision as a class and they grew their class by over 150%, wow thats pretty ballsy on our part.

Lets let them do their thing and worry about our own programs and let JC, Smitty, and Brad worry about their programs. If you have a suggestion of a name for George and his class to consider make it, but lets keep this thread on track or it will be like the vicious cycle we love to call offshore and go down the tubes.
    www.tntoffshore.com

"El Racing boat es una pasion que se lleva en la sangre"

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Bottom line is that the previous class rep buried the class to where only 3 boats showed up to each race.

Say what you want, but Randy had nothing to do in why there was a lower boat count in 2009 If anything he tried to increase it. I remember a bat boat running with us, and there were many invitations to other teams.

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar 104 View Post
    Bottom line is that the previous class rep buried the class to where only 3 boats showed up to each race.

Say what you want, but Randy had nothing to do in why there was a lower boat count in 2009 If anything he tried to increase it. I remember a bat boat running with us, and there were many invitations to other teams.
    Actually two Batboats, Chris Reindl ran too......

What you guys did to run Sarasota, St Clair, and Patchogue. And the invitation to allow other, non-legal boats to run with you at those venues, convinced me SVL was a legit group of racers who truly had the best interests of racing at heart.

This year, the interest in SVL, tells me I was not the only one who felt that way.

Back to the name thing, P1 has the two classes, Evolution and SuperSport. Where does the WPPA with Class 1 and X Cat fit in?

15. Collapse Details

I apologize Mark, I didnt realize Randy was the previous class rep, he has always thrown it in my face that he is Mr BOD.

When F1 collapsed, I was the class rep of it and I formulated a proposal for new rules per what the 6 teams committed wanted. I sent out invitations as well, but at the end of the day the people committed didnt show nor did any of the invitations sent out. I take total responsibility for the demise of what was once one of the two greatest classes in all of offshore(F2 being the other) I guess at the end of the day, I can look in the mirror and realize that I failed and I admit it. I know that it wasnt for lack of effort and I probally inherited it when it was too far gone, but in the business world its all about bottom line and the bottom line is that it went under while under my watch. I dont want and/or need anyone to come to my defense and try and protect me, I am a grown up and can stand on my own two feet.

Best of luck to you and Jen this year!!!
    www.tntoffshore.com

"El Racing boat es una pasion que se lleva en la sangre"

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post

Back to the name thing, P1 has the two classes, Evolution and SuperSport. Where does the WPPA with Class 1 and X Cat fit in?
    except for being UIM sanctioned (currently), WPPA/C1/Xcat don't have anything to do with P1.

17. Collapse Details

I brought this thread back up because I don't think there is anything that violates our rules of participation and there are some good discussions here. BUT, I would appreciate it if you could bring it back on topic, which is the growth and name of SVL. This has always been a great well attended class and should move forward, please direct your comments as such. And if you disagree feel free to start your own thread (in a strictly constructive way of course ).

Carry on

18. Collapse Details

BTW, Bruce, haven't forgotten you, slammed up a bit but I will get that number for you once I figure out who is steering the ship.

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    All SVL can do is control SVL. We are moving with the groups best interest in mind. This thread isn't about what anyone thinks, Its about a silly subject of changing the name.

There are numerous variables we cannot control. What we can control is what events we can all attend. AT the same time. None of us are suggesting what other classes should do. This has no effect on any other racers.

I don't think it is fair for anyone to criticize our intentions. There are plenty of improvements to be made. We are focusing on a small part. OUR CLASS.

Sure some could argue we should attend some orgs complete series. Or not do some other one. Different discussion.

As it is now every individual team chooses where to run. The result is few actually race more than one team. OPA SV may be the largest with 4 that raced each other all season.. Maybe a race or two a few more race but, it is a random when and where.

The sport has about 20 classes, average a few boats in each, National champions win titles uncontested or in the best case now beat one other boat. We can't fix that. The individual classes or orgs can if they want. Again different discussion.

So maybe just maybe SVL can take a different approach and be a model that other classes can build on. Again different discussion.

Back on topic..

The name is SVL the only suitable change I have seen is V

I am the driver for V10 . I love to race!
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 02-01-2010 at 11:03 AM.

20. Collapse Details

V-1 (1 for single engine)
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership