1. Collapse Details
    Information for our Mid Winter Charity Fun Run to Useppa Island, FL Sat. Jan. 30/10
    Our first ever fun run to Useppa Island will take place on Saturday Jan. 30th. You may read about Useppa Island by clicking on this link: http://www.useppa.com/indexb.html This event is one of two fund raisers we have each year to help fund our Ft. Myers Offshore, Inc. student scholarship program.
    If you are planning on attending this event please let me know by noon Wednesday January 27th as the restaurant must order our food in advance. You may e mail me, or post up on this thread here on SOS. I will only need a boat count as we can reasonably estimate the total number of attendees, based on the number of boats. Attending Captains should read this information thread carefully to minimize any confusion.
    We are asking that each participating boat donate a minimum $100.00 (more at your discretion) towards our cause. You will be eligible for a charitable tax receipt since we are a registered 501 (c) (3) charity. The preferred method of payment is a check made out to Ft. Myers Offshore, Inc. Checks will be collected at the lunch stop. In addition we will be selling club tee shirts and hats baring the new Ft. Myers Offshore logo.
    Come out and have a great day on the water and lets show our support for worthy students entering university / college or other institute of higher learning in Lee and Collier Counties. ( Please read our mission statement http://www.ftmyersoffshore.org ) We were able to award 3 scholarships last year and hope to improve upon that this year.

Membership Renewal:

If you have not yet renewed your membership for 2010, you may do so at the lunch stop or alternatively mail it in. There is no change in membership fees. Your membership will be good through until the end of 2010. Go to www.ftmyersoffshore.org and download the membership form. If you are a current member we will only need basic information as it is already on file unless there have been changes. People tell me all the time what a great thing FMO has going on here and it can only continue if you continue to show your support for your club.

Route:

Our starting point will once again be the south side of the Sanibel Bridge. Boats should assemble around 10:45 am and we will leave by 11:00 AM sharp. I will leave Marco Island at 10 AM to head up to meet the main group of boats at the Sanibel Bridge for the 11:00 AM start. Any boats from Marco or Naples wanting to travel with me to the Bridge, should let me know.

We will be in two groups, according to speed. Group 2 will be those boats capable of cruising at 50 - 55 MPH and will be the first to start at 11:00 AM, travelling up the Intra Coastal Waterway (ICW) . As before, there will be a designated pace boat for this group. This route is 10 miles shorter than the offshore route that group 1 will be taking. Also please be aware that the ICW can be busy and we need to respect others using the waterway.

Group 1 will be boats capable of cruising at more than 65 MPH and will start a few minutes after Group 2 has left. I will serve as the pace boat for this group. When we start our run we will go south and make a wide sweep around the bottom end of Sanibel Island ( do not cut the corner as this part of San Carlos Bay is shallow), eventually going west into the Gulf and then up the coast staying a couple of miles or more offshore. We will make our way off the Gulf via Boca Grande Pass. Also remember to not cut this corner either, staying outside the Johnson Shoals. Once back in the ICW, we will then head south the approximate 3 miles to Useppa Island. If the seas are too rough, then the alternate route will be to run up the ICW along with Group 2.

After lunch, I am proposing that we take an entirely different route home. That is we swing around the top end of Pine Island and head back south in the channel between Pine Island and the mainland through Matlacha. Many have never travelled this route before and since following Ken and Karen Trelfa thru there on the way home from our Nov. run to Punta Gorda, it is not difficult when following someone who knows the local waters. Ken has agreed to act as a pace boat for those interested in joining us. The alternative route is to travel home via the ICW. I have checked the tide charts and with high tide at 4 PM there will be plenty of water. For those interested, we will be making a stop at Bert's at Matlacha for a bit. Bert's is an interesting, Key Westy sort of place. For those not wanting to stop at Bert's, either Ken or I will take the remaining boats down to where the channel intersects with the ICW.

Fuel / Distance:

From the Sanibel Bridge to Useppa Island and back should be about 80 miles for those running offshore and 60 - 65 miles by way of the ICW both ways. South Seas Resort which is in the ICW along the way has 89 octane fuel. 93 octane is very difficult to find these days so please leave with a full tank.

Food:

We will be eating at the Useppa Island Club. I will post the menu and prices prior to the run, once I have sorted it out with Jennifer.

Communication:

Inter boat communication to be on VHF channel 72. My cell number is 239 776 0481. Anyone dropping out after the start should let me know so we do not spend time either waiting or looking for you. Leave a voicemail if no answer.

Pictures:

Club photographer Jay Nichols ( Jayboat ) will be aboard Team PREDATOR and will capture as many pictures of your boats as possible during the coarse of the day. Please be sure to come alongside us for your picture. Prints may be ordered directly from Jay by calling him at 941 276 5650 or e mail: jay@lettering.net and he will let you know the cost of enlargements.

Tide Information:

Marco River LT - 7:14 AM; HT - 1:43 PM; LT - 7:09 PM;
    Naples Bay ( North End ) LT - 7:15 AM; HT – 1:32 PM; LT - 7:16 PM;
    Estero Bay LT - 7:32 AM; HT – 2:20 PM; LT - 6:26 PM;
    Sanibel Bridge (Punta Rassa) LT - 7:18 AM; HT – 2:17 PM; LT - 6:12 PM;
    Cape Coral Bridge LT - 10:39 AM; HT – 4:33 PM;
    Captiva (Pine Island Sound) – LT - 8:17 AM; HT – 2:32 PM
    Matlacha LT – 10:05 AM; HT – 4:01 PM;

Waypoints:

Marco Island: N 25 58 38; W 81 46 25
    Naples ( Gordon Pass): N 26 05 50; W 81 48 67
    Sanibel Bridge: N 26 29 00; W 82 00 88
    Redfish Pass- : N 26 33 14; W 82 12 70
    Boca Grande Channel ( offshore): N 26 41 78; W 82 17 90
    Where Intercoastal meets Boca Grande - N 26 42 88; W 82 14 62
    Useppa Island – N 26 39 58; W 82 12 41
    Matlacha – N 26 37 57; W 82 04 04

Weather / Sea Conditions:

To be posted on the forum 5 days prior to the run and updated daily referencing The Weather Channel and NOAA.

Safety:

Each boat Captain is required to operate his vessel in a safe manner and is responsible for his / her crew and their safety. Familiarize yourself with BSAFE ( Boating Safety Association for Events ). Visit www.boatingsafe.org
    When running in the Intra Coastal Waterway ( ICW ) please be aware that this can be a high traffic area and we ask that other boats be given a wide berth and that the rules of the road ( waterway ) be adhered to.

Bob cell: 239 776 0481 or e mail: bobthebuilder@rogers.blackberry.net

Club Sponsors: Ft. Myers Offshore would like to recognize it's corporate sponsors for helping make these events possible and their contribution to our club and the student scholarship fund:

A-1 Fuel - Serving SW Florida with all types and grades of fuel delivered to your boat dock or construction site Phone: 239 246 4777 Contact: Mike or Karen

B & C Shutters and Awnings, Ft. Myers - Hurricane protection Phone:239 738 6200 Website: http://www.bcshuttersplus.com/ Contact: Bob Martin

Caloosa Isle Boat Sales and Service, Ft. Myers. - Certified Mercury and Yamaha Parts & Service Ph: 239 482 4511 Website: http://www.caloosaisle.com/ Contact: Tom Cullen

DoubleR Performance, ON, Canada - Nor Tech dealer and various used boat sales and Certified Mercury parts and service - Phone: 705 487 7575 Website: http://www.doublerperformance.com/ Contact: Peter Roberts

IBR Realty, Marco Island / Naples - Real Estate Sales Phone:239 389 1711 Website: http://www.ibrbrokerage.com/ Contact: Hans Haedelt

Nor Tech Boats, North Ft. Myers - Custom boat builder / sales and service Phone: 239 994 9470 Website: http://www.nor-techboats.com/ Contact: Terry Sobo

NaplesImage.com , Naples - Sports photography Phone: 941 276 5650 Website: under construction Contact: Jay Nichols

Sunmaster of Naples, Inc. - Storm / security shutters; ornamental metal; custom canvas Phone: 239 261 3581 Website: http://www.sunmasterinc.com/ Contact: JohnWilkinson

West Coast Custom Cabinetry custom cabinets and tile work Phone: 239 481 8109 Website: http://www.cabinetsclosetsandtile.com/about.php Contact, Ben Payne

Speedwear Designz - Sports and corporate apparel. Phone 909 476 8137 Website: http://www.speedwear.com/ Contact, Dave Thomas
    Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 01-17-2010 at 12:02 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Google Earth pic of Useppa Island and area pic. Note that Useppa Island is across from Cabbage Key that many are familiar with.
    Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Useppa Island.jpg   FMB to Charlotte Harbor.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Bob count me in, total of 3.
    I ll take the 36. See you on
    the run. Also let me know about
    the sea food fest boat run.
    Rick

4. Collapse Details

PLEASE NOTE THAT SATURDAY's FUN RUN TO USEPPA ISLAND HAS BEEN MOVED FORWARD TO FRIDAY DUE TO AN APPROACHING WEATHER SYSTEM. E MAILS HAVE GONE OUT TO ALL CLUB MEMBERS. ALL OTHER DETAILS ABOUT THE RUN REMAIN THE SAME EXCEPT IT IS NO LONGER A FUND RAISER AND IS FREE OF CHARGE TO CLUB MEMBERS.
    IF ANY QUESTION PLEASE BE SURE TO CONTACT ME...... BEFORE SATURDAY ! LOL

5. Collapse Details

Bob, everyone had a really good time
    we cant wait for the next one.
    Rick