Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Not just the 6 drives, and who knows what motors, you got trannies in there too which ya dont have aith a Bravo boat.

2. Collapse Details

Figure out your boat budget, then triple it. Best advice I ever read online!!

I'd be semi-boat broke if I didn't take that advice. $200K for a boat- no problem. $25K a year running it- big problem. As much as I wish I "had it like that", I don't (yet I hope). I justified to myself how to make it work buying a bigger/better/louder/faster/whatever boat, but in the end stuck to my plan and budget and can enjoy boating come hell or high water even if it is only at 70MPH. Example- I thought I thought of every thing, would if this breaks or would if that breaks, my budget could handle it. Then fuel went to $5+ a gallon- didn't see that one coming. BUT burnt just as much that year as any other year. Not that I was happy about it, but didn't slow me down either. Budget, then at least double but you can feel really safe if you triple and if you can still roll how you want, dive right in!

3. Collapse Details

Don't get me wrong, I am in now way talking you into buying That boat, I am just responding to the statement of not wanting to lose a ton of money. The boat is being offered at a very low price compared to what others have sold for. That boat was repowered in 2001, and not run very much since then, but I don't know the history of it once it left RI. It used to be docked next to me a few years back and was in good overall condition for the age, but alot can happen if it just sits somewehere, I would check the cabin floor and cockpit floor for moisture and mold and that will tell you if it was allowed to sit ucovered for a while.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
    soft floors.. check the cabin out.
    I know someone else posted this too. Not here but i know that I have read that the floors in the cabin were soft.

So the point I am at is if this boat can be had for 65 cash one could expect to put half that into it pretty easily. Then also we are talking about a time factor with making sure this thing is sound for the summer. Very good points to consider.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by animalhouse View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I am in now way talking you into buying That boat, I am just responding to the statement of not wanting to lose a ton of money. The boat is being offered at a very low price compared to what others have sold for. That boat was repowered in 2001, and not run very much since then, but I don't know the history of it once it left RI. It used to be docked next to me a few years back and was in good overall condition for the age, but alot can happen if it just sits somewehere, I would check the cabin floor and cockpit floor for moisture and mold and that will tell you if it was allowed to sit ucovered for a while.
    DO you know who did the #5 to #6 conversion?
    Run until it sounds expensive

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drpete3 View Post

So the point I am at is if this boat can be had for 65 cash one could expect to put half that into it pretty easily.

It's an Outerlimits....you can expect to put the full $65k into it pretty easily....

Just playing with OL, but no matter what kind of boat it is, with wet floors, suspect motors & drives, you could be in for some big expeses, assuming you'd fix everything the "right" way. It could be bad as hell when it's done though!

7. Collapse Details

Priced right this is the perfect boat- for a guy like me. I don't care how long it takes and I want what I want but don't want to spend $600K to get it. And I do all my own mechanical work and know a couple hundred people in the biz that can help me pinch a penny getting it redone right.

If you have to find someone to do all of it for you, it can be brutally expensive. And for every decent, honest guy out there, there are ten that are performance boater flypaper.

Boats like the OL can be great for the guy that's been to the show a few times. But boats like the OL are also often responsible for being a guy's first and last performance boat, pushing him to another sport that doesn't hurt so much.

Who knows, this boat may have all the right pieces and just need some low-buck sprucing up. Or it could be a well-concealed nightmare of patchwork.

I've gotten bit- bought a good-running boat only to find that the blocks had several sleeved cylinders each and on the last overbore and the heads were salt-eaten and patched. A leakdown and on-water test doesn't tell you this stuff.

You buy a late-model boat and you can scan the computers and see the hours. You can see the owner's detailed logbook on maintenance and the accompanying receipts. You do the leakdown and it runs strong- and you should be OK. But that's gonna' cost you. Bargains are bargains for a reason. Typically the guy selling it knows better than you do what the real story is.

8. Collapse Details

I have seen a few real nice bargains come and go. This is not one of them, and therefore explains why it has not gone. You know, for the money and #6 drives that there are plenty of people looking at it.

Where is the boat currently. I though I read somewhere that it was sitting uncovered in the snow?

9. Collapse Details

That thing is rough....Though its said not to be the first 37 OL, It looks like the one I know of. There must be 2 identical boats out there then. Walk away.

10. Collapse Details
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    And I do all my own mechanical work and know a couple hundred people in the biz that can help me pinch a penny getting it redone right.
    The power of SOS

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BillR View Post
    Looks like a money pit to me.
    Always remember - you get what you pay for - esp in boats.
    I would opt for one that has been maintained with fresh motors - you;ll pay more up front, but save tens of thousands of dollars with in one or two years. By spending more now, you can work your monthly payments to be in your budget. But if you buy something like the boat above and are strapped paying for that boat, the payments will pale in what you'll be paying for repairs, maintenance, rebuilds.

Bill

That list you posted of everything you did to your TG wore me out! If you posted a price list next to all those "upgrades/maintenance" Dr. Pete would get a real good idea of what this OL could cost him......

12. Collapse Details

I have had two experiences with used OL's. You will spend a ton of money on this boat in my opinion. The last one I had was the first 42, "NO Discipline" We picked it up from GT marine in CA. I was told that both motors and both drives were "fresh." That boat cost me close to $100,000 for one year of use and it NEVER ran right! Buy a boat with Merc 500 efi's or 525 efi's and enjoy. Listen to what people are telling you. Good luck!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mcraymond3 View Post
    I have had two experiences with used OL's. You will spend a ton of money on this boat in my opinion. The last one I had was the first 42, "NO Discipline" We picked it up from GT marine in CA. I was told that both motors and both drives were "fresh." That boat cost me close to $100,000 for one year of use and it NEVER ran right! Buy a boat with Merc 500 efi's or 525 efi's and enjoy. Listen to what people are telling you. Good luck!
    STOCK..STOCK..STOCK POWER...HAVE FUN AND ENJOY BOATING...less breakdowns, less fraustration, and the reason why we buy these hi-perf. boats is to have fun... Life's rough enough the way it is... why put more on your plate... Been there done that..

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    Dr.Pete3,

I have a very mildly stock powered Fountain, I doubt it would reach the speeds you're looking for but I can cruise the big lake all day without nervously watching for a tell tale sign on every engine related gage.

I considered buying a used Top Gun a few years ago. It had medium non-factory big powered engines with supposedly low hours. I remember standing in the engine compartment looking at the engines, the accessories and plumbings and saying to myself " What is all of this crap, I don't know what it is or what it's function is" and I consider myself better then average with mechanicaal stuff. It scared me away knowing I didn't know what I was looking at and probably couldn't maintain.

ed

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
    STOCK..STOCK..STOCK POWER...HAVE FUN AND ENJOY BOATING...less breakdowns, less fraustration, and the reason why we buy these hi-perf. boats is to have fun... Life's rough enough the way it is... why put more on your plate... Been there done that..
    Easy to find parts, plenty of techs to work on them, tons of info/advice out there when there is a problem......then less hassle on the resale when trying to convince someone else to buy the boat!

Bigger power, even name brand can be a headache to sell used!

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    keep looking

17. Collapse Details

That 37 OL, needs work, it went for 43k from Liquidators, Interior is shot, cabin needs work, when I was on it the starboard blower was sitting in the bildge, all the wood bases ,seats and sunpad are shot, the gauges are fUll of water (not oil), who ever bought it is trying to make a fast buck !.. and its still in Ohio @ National liquidators..NEVER LEFT ! PICTURE WAS TAKEN LAST MONDAY !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails National Liquidators  1-12-10 011.jpg   National Liquidators  1-12-10 002.jpg  
    Last edited by SCARAB3DMC; 01-17-2010 at 10:59 AM.

18. Collapse Details

Poor boat...
    35 Cigarette Mistress

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SCARAB3DMC View Post
    That 37 OL, needs work, it went for 43k from Liquidators, Interior is shot, cabin needs work, when I was on it the starboard blower was sitting in the bildge, all the wood bases ,seats and sunpad are shot, the gauges are fUll of water (not oil), who ever bought it is trying to make a fast buck !.. and its still in Ohio @ National liquidators..NEVER LEFT ! PICTURE WAS TAKEN LAST MONDAY !
    Thats sad.. Buy it!!!

20. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by SCARAB3DMC View Post
    NICE Catch.... Somebody may be sitting on this one...