Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Python boats?????s
    Anyone know much about these?
    How well they were built, how long ago,
    Yes, I know it must be a slpash of Mag, Pantera and a host of others but were they any good?
    This is a 24 project that has poped up,not sure on the year yet, but what was the deal with'em?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0332.jpg   IMGP0328.jpg   IMGP0333.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

I owned a 24' Python for a short time. It had a 502 mag bravo 1 and toped out around 70 mph. I didn't care for the low profile (free board) or narrow beam. It felt like you would get ejected out of the boat at any moment in moderate seas. Also the deck was very thin (I wouldn't stand on it), The molds must have been junk because both sides of my hull near the transom hooked out, no offshore motor mounts etc. etc. Other than that it was a great boat! IMO

3. Collapse Details

Probabaly best left where you found it.

4. Collapse Details

From what I have heard, build quality varies greatly from one boat to the next. If I remember the story correctly, the guy that built them was actually a cabinet maker or something like that, and built boats on the side. Donman has one out in texas, and seems to like it, I debated going to look at a few before buying the Pantera, but decided to wait it out and get the real thing.

5. Collapse Details

I though about buying one a few yrs. back. I think they were built in Ga. I agree with Chris. Leave it where it sits.

6. Collapse Details

Mark, I was looking at one the year before I bought my Pantera, now I'm glad I waited.
    Definitely not the same type build. I'd heard the same reports that with the 24 Python, some were better than others. If you're serious about a 24x7, I'd probably keep looking, there are much better out there

The original builder of Python passed away 2-3-4 yrs ago. The latest I heard was that at least one of the molds is just outside the Chicago area. It was owned by Straight Jacket (Brian Miller) who passed away in a work accident recently, and his father. Brian Sr. is still working on it.
    Redhotsummer on the board has posted some pics of the work on a new boat in the Chicago section on here.
    Maybe some of the Chicago guys can fill in more on the CURRENT Python project.
    I'm just going off of what I've read here.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

7. Collapse Details

I knew there had to be a reason it was so cheap.
    I know that I never heard much about them and that should be enough to pass on it.
    Thanks to all who answered.

8. Collapse Details

Jim Clark (rip) built the Python's here on Lake Lanier. They were decent lake boats but I would get a complete marine survey before I would touch one.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by THEJOKER View Post
    Jim Clark (rip) built the Python's here on Lake Lanier. They were decent lake boats but I would get a complete marine survey before I would touch one.
    I agree on the survey.. My Pops owned one. They were not a terrible boat. Do they cary the same clout as a Pantera, I dont think so... My only problem on a project boat like this is......
    You will spend more than you think. You better trully want it and want to keep it for several years. or you will loose money on it.

As for me loosing money on a boat, its ok, its a Religion!!

Jr.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by J-Bonz View Post
    My only problem on a project boat like this is......
    You will spend more than you think. You better trully want it and want to keep it for several years. or you will loose money on it.

As for me loosing money on a boat, its ok, its a Religion!!

Jr.
    Is there a project boat that you won't lose money on?
    I see a well known Apache out there right now that is having a hard time giving it away, and I saw the Holy Grail of old school raceboats sell for 1/4 to 1/8 of what it would cost you for a new Cig, OL, NT etc... - sorry, I brought up the A word.
    You don't buy a project boat unless you're in love with the boat, and plan on hanging on to it for a long, long time.
    Putting one back together is a labor of love, and one hell of a commitment.

11. Collapse Details

I completey understand about projects (see my rat rod thread) and what I want is 18 to 24 maybe 27 just for a river rocket not lakes or big water just the river.
    I have no problem with the work or time and I am not in the least worried about resale as it will be something that will hang around till I tip over. I want something neat and different than what anyone else has but it has to be real cheap to start with so the hunt goes on,

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic12 View Post
    I completey understand about projects (see my rat rod thread) and what I want is 18 to 24 maybe 27 just for a river rocket not lakes or big water just the river.
    I have no problem with the work or time and I am not in the least worried about resale as it will be something that will hang around till I tip over. I want something neat and different than what anyone else has but it has to be real cheap to start with so the hunt goes on,
    You can find an old Pantera 24 out there reasonable, unique, yet a performer.
    Maybe an overperformer for what you want, but, in the end it'll likely cost you the same as a knock off. I almost spent 3K more for the Python than I did for my Pantera. Although, I'm putting more money into the Pantera than I would have ever bothered if I had bought the Python.

I look at my boat the same way - I will have this one forever. Might eventually buy a 35 Mistress to park beside her (if I can find better job), but, this one is not going away.
    Mark, you might be making the jump from the "Cult" to the "Famalia"

13. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=Buoy;414555]
    I look at my boat the same way - I will have this one forever. Might eventually buy a 35 Mistress to park beside her (if I can find better job), but, this one is not going away.
    QUOTE]

I see we have the same taste in boats, but my 35 would be a cafe

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic12 View Post
    If your looking for a river rocket that will hold its value, look into a Donzi. A 24 Pantera is a little big and heavy if you dont need it for rough water(read as more power to make it fast). My second choice if I hadnt found my 24 was a Donzi 22 Classic, but if you are only running on the river you could get away with an 18, or even a 20 Mynx. If you want something STUPID fast, but doesnt have the classic lines, a Donzi 22ZX single step with a big block is the ticket

If you are still stuck on a 24, I may be persuaded to sell mine eventually, but its gonna cost you, and you must be patient.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post

The original builder of Python passed away 2-3-4 yrs ago. The latest I heard was that at least one of the molds is just outside the Chicago area. It was owned by Straight Jacket (Brian Miller) who passed away in a work accident recently, and his father. Brian Sr. is still working on it.
    Redhotsummer on the board has posted some pics of the work on a new boat in the Chicago section on here.
    Maybe some of the Chicago guys can fill in more on the CURRENT Python project.
    I'm just going off of what I've read here.
    Brian Miller (the ol' fart) aka Scarrab30 doesn't own the molds, Tom Nabbers of Morris, IL has those...90% sure he's got the 24. The Python project boat that the Millers have going is the first Python 30...Nabbers took a mold of the Straight Jacket hull and deck and has them ready to go for Hull #2.

Here's the thread on Brian's boat:
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...ead.php?t=8854

With twin 720 hp and #4s...look for this bad boy at the Shootout next year...

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    Brian Miller (the ol' fart) aka Scarrab30 doesn't own the molds, Tom Nabbers of Morris, IL has those...90% sure he's got the 24. The Python project boat that the Millers have going is the first Python 30...Nabbers took a mold of the Straight Jacket hull and deck and has them ready to go for Hull #2.

Here's the thread on Brian's boat:
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...ead.php?t=8854

With twin 720 hp and #4s...look for this bad boy at the Shootout next year...
    Thanks for clearing that up, Mike.
    I knew I'd read some info on the project, and was trying not to speculate too much, and muddy the water with questionable info.

17. Collapse Details

Just out of curiosity. Is that boat around the St. Louis area?

18. Collapse Details

Man...that looks AWESOME.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trim'd Up View Post
    Just out of curiosity. Is that boat around the St. Louis area?
    Yes.

20. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=rchevelle71;414612]
    Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    QUOTE]

I see we have the same taste in boats, but my 35 would be a cafe