Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Is there a project boat that you won't lose money on?
    I see a well known Apache out there right now that is having a hard time giving it away, and I saw the Holy Grail of old school raceboats sell for 1/4 to 1/8 of what it would cost you for a new Cig, OL, NT etc... - sorry, I brought up the A word.
    You don't buy a project boat unless you're in love with the boat, and plan on hanging on to it for a long, long time.
    Putting one back together is a labor of love, and one hell of a commitment.
    I agree 100%. If its the boat you want! Thats all that matters...
    Jr.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    If your looking for a river rocket that will hold its value, look into a Donzi. A 24 Pantera is a little big and heavy if you dont need it for rough water(read as more power to make it fast). My second choice if I hadnt found my 24 was a Donzi 22 Classic, but if you are only running on the river you could get away with an 18, or even a 20 Mynx. If you want something STUPID fast, but doesnt have the classic lines, a Donzi 22ZX single step with a big block is the ticket

If you are still stuck on a 24, I may be persuaded to sell mine eventually, but its gonna cost you, and you must be patient.
    I happen to know a guy on the board here that has a 22 Donzi that he dropped a big motor into, and swapper to a BlackHawk drive. Last I heard, he was turning 88mph. That would be scary in a 22 low freeboard Donzi.
    It was funny, he had Bennett tabs on it, and because of the water pressure, they curled half way to a Taco shape.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by J-Bonz View Post
    I agree 100%. If its the boat you want! Thats all that matters...
    Jr.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

4. Collapse Details

I happen to know a guy on the board here that has a 22 Donzi that he dropped a big motor into, and swapper to a BlackHawk drive. Last I heard, he was turning 88mph. That would be scary in a 22 low freeboard Donzi.
    It was funny, he had Bennett tabs on it, and because of the water pressure, they curled half way to a Taco shape.
    Scary yes, would I do it? YES!!!! But only on relatively flat water

I have Bennett Tabs also, and have had no problem with them. I guess it is possible to bend them, but personally at that speed, not sure why they were down

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic12 View Post
    Yes.
    I thought the boat looked familiar. The boat has been for sale for a LONG time just as it sits. I talked to the owner when they had it listed with no pics as a cig. The boat has been listed as everything from 24'-27' and Cig to Python. I finally got the HIN from them and if I remember right it was actually a P&D. The story on it changed when I talked to them on 2 different occasions. I have not seen the boat in person, but if your interested I will go take a look at it for ya. It's not too far from me.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trim'd Up View Post
    I thought the boat looked familiar. The boat has been for sale for a LONG time just as it sits. I talked to the owner when they had it listed with no pics as a cig. The boat has been listed as everything from 24'-27' and Cig to Python. I finally got the HIN from them and if I remember right it was actually a P&D. The story on it changed when I talked to them on 2 different occasions. I have not seen the boat in person, but if your interested I will go take a look at it for ya. It's not too far from me.
    PM sent and thanks

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trim'd Up View Post
    I bought this Python boat from the guy you say had it for ever. He was in St. Charles, Mo. He had boat on Craigslist and I bought from him. I was actually looking for a alum. trailer and I bought the boat also. Now don't need either one. It is actually a 1990 Python 24 and is in real good shape. Make an offer if interested. Thanks.

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I happen to know where there is a 16 Donzi running the same speeds.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

9. Collapse Details

Registered
    my first performance boat was a 1980 24 Python. I liked it, fun boat it had a 60 over 454 with dry basset offshore headers and a trs drive. The boat was fast and ran good up to 3 footers on Lake Erie. I did break the deck right at the front of the engine hatch but I was doing a poker run in 3 to 5 foot waves and running hard. IMO for what you pay for the Pantera in the same shape you could fix whats wrong with the Python and save alot of money if do the work yourself.
    A friend had a 22 Donzi with a 502 and a bravo. He had twice as much money into it then I did but my python was faster and he could'nt run in the waves like the python would.
    On a river I think the Python would be great and more affordable then the others.
    Don't think that I am knocking the Pantera it,s my favorite boat and do like the Donzi's too.
    I think we all have lost money on performance boats but if you can start out with your project for alot less its still less money spent.
    good luck with your project.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by donnawanna View Post
    my first performance boat was a 1980 24 Python. I liked it, fun boat it had a 60 over 454 with dry basset offshore headers and a trs drive. The boat was fast and ran good up to 3 footers on Lake Erie. I did break the deck right at the front of the engine hatch but I was doing a poker run in 3 to 5 foot waves and running hard. IMO for what you pay for the Pantera in the same shape you could fix whats wrong with the Python and save alot of money if do the work yourself.
    A friend had a 22 Donzi with a 502 and a bravo. He had twice as much money into it then I did but my python was faster and he could'nt run in the waves like the python would.
    On a river I think the Python would be great and more affordable then the others.
    Don't think that I am knocking the Pantera it,s my favorite boat and do like the Donzi's too.
    I think we all have lost money on performance boats but if you can start out with your project for alot less its still less money spent.
    good luck with your project.
    Well put. This boat is "for sale" for 2k on the trailer or $1200 boat only. I guarantee you won't find one cheaper and in better shape!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    I happen to know where there is a 16 Donzi running the same speeds.....

Details... Jamie dissected his..

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    bought this one as a bare hull
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails python.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by no limits View Post
    Well put. This boat is "for sale" for 2k on the trailer or $1200 boat only. I guarantee you won't find one cheaper and in better shape!
    Where you able to get the title for it ?

14. Collapse Details

15. Collapse Details

i have a 91 python. i dont think they are built as good as a superboat or pantera, but great lake boat. mine seems to have a very thick deck. i have seen 70 on the gps with a built 454 with 1500 rpms left. it was a scary ride with the loose cable steering. putting on some hydraulic steering in the coming weeks so maybe this year i can take advantage of the built motor. i think for the money, they are a good bang for the buck.

16. Collapse Details

Jim Clark the owner was a piece of work. I stopped by one time with my girlfriend and when we got back in the car she asked me how well I knew him. I asked why and she handed me his phone number on a small piece of paper. Classic Jim!

17. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Maybe he wanted to sell her a boat,, and not to offend you!!!lololol I knew him lolol
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by htrdlncn View Post
    Where you able to get the title for it ?
    Yes...it is sold.

19. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    that was a good deal,,,great first project boat for someone ,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

20. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    The boats were originally built in Romulus, Michigan. They then moved to Georgia.
    as most have said, if your on a budget, and dont mind some work, its a good buy.
    I had a 89, with a bravo drive, used on the St.Johns river.
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!