Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Who is SeriousOffshore?
    A year ago we had fewer than 500 members to our then-new web community. The recent article about us in Powerboat Magazine made me realize how few people really new our story. Or more importantly, knew what our purpose was.

Going back almost two years ago, a small group of boaters got together and decided to find themselves a new on-line home. Displeased with what we were at the time being offered, we put our heads together and came up with a list of ideas- the basic concepts of what our ideal place would be. And we set out to build it. First on that list, we wanted a community with a no-nonsense approach to the sport. We knew we had no room for troublemakers or keyboard commandos. We were looking to create a place where those truly passionate about the sport could spend their time, make and maintain friendships and share information. A place for the serious powerboater. hence the name, Serious. Serious about the sport. And also, serious about having fun. So our first goal was to provide the sport with the best possible community meeting place we could and to use that place to bring boaters together, both virtually and physically.

Our second goal was to utilize the site to do some good. To "give back". To that end, we've spent some time in the last year associating ourselves with some very worthy causes. Primarily children's charities. We're blessed to be fortunate enough to be able to participate in a sport like this. Using our sport to enrich the lives of those in need. Whether monetarily or by bringing these people into our world- if only for an afternoon- is something we will continue to do. And we will continue to push to involve every one of our members in this effort.

A few thoughts on how we do things around here...

This is our home. Ours meaning yours and mine. We invite our friends in here to spend time, socialize and share information with. And just like when you have your friends into your home, there's a way to behave. Courtesy and respectfulness is the rule. Of course, friends can disagree. They can have heated discussions. But at the end, they remain friends. Sometimes it's easy to forget when you're on-line and not in a person's actual home. That's OK. We have plenty of people to remind everyone when things get off the path...

Those people are our Moderators. That list of people includes members; Airpacker,Cosmic12, Expensive Date, Fund Razor, Glassdave, MOBILEMERCMAN, Ratickle, Wardey and General Lee. Our moderators make sure that things are posted in the correct places, they assist our members with their issues and occasionally they calm a few flare-ups.

Another group working behind the scenes is our Board. All of our Mods and Admins are members of our Board. In addition, some of our original Founders as well as some additional people make up this group. The Board's role is to act in an advisory capacity on the direction this forum heads as well as discussion about operational issues.

Each and every one of these individuals does what they do on a voluntary basis. We have an unimaginably impressive list of people donating time that I often wonder where they've found it. We have on our team people ranging from corporate managers, entrepreneurs, executives, engineers, highly technical professionals- and the list goes on. Talent that in a million years we could never hire. They're here simply out of their passion for the sport. And for what we're attempting to do. As you come across these people, you might take a moment and remember that only because of them does this place exist. And in the course of their duties, please remember that they're here voluntarily, on their own time. And these aren't people that have spare time- they make it. So please treat them with the respect commensurate to their contribution to YOUR site.

Our goal has never been anything else that to be the best. If we had a hundred members or so, that would be OK. As long as we could accomplish our two primary goals. But as we continue to grow, those new members bring us new opportunities to involve people more deeply in the sport and to bring these people into our mission of helping others with our sport. So we welcome that growth. But we'll never allow that growth to distract us from our core mission.

If you were here on Day-1, thanks for being along for the ride. If you joined today, welcome to our home. And enjoy the ride we're going on this year.
    Last edited by Chris; 04-11-2010 at 07:55 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Well said

3. Collapse Details

I for one am happy to have this as a 'home' I attended several activities last season and wore my serious shirt with pride. Of all people, I have to thank Stecz for bringing me onboard during the 'beta' phase and I have tried to show my appreciation by trying to keep the house clean (though my interior decorating skills have ocasionally been questioned). Throughout the last year I have shared boat rides and drinks with many new friends and to Chris and company, my hats off to you.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

4. Collapse Details

I have been here from near the beginning and really appreciate the way everything runs around here! You guys are doing a fantastic job and it truly does feel like home. It is rarely if ever that I go online and do not at least check in here to see whats up. Keep up the good work!

P.S.- I am still waiting for the stickers for my boat and shirt!

5. Collapse Details

Thanks Chris.
    And thank you for inviting me in.
    And we've only just begun, there is a lot more that we can do.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tom A. View Post
    I have been here from near the beginning and really appreciate the way everything runs around here! You guys are doing a fantastic job and it truly does feel like home. It is rarely if ever that I go online and do not at least check in here to see whats up. Keep up the good work! ...

But some members take themselves so fecking SERIOUS that it is ridiculous at times. Those should be a bit more open minded.

7. Collapse Details

8. Collapse Details

I am enjoying watching the traffic and post volume steadily rise - seems like the last few months have seen some measureable growth in this area.

To everyone that Chris mentioned - Thanks again....

9. Collapse Details

A big Thank You to the Mods and Administrators, the voluntary time they put in is incredible
    Run until it sounds expensive

10. Collapse Details

registered
    Well said Chris. But above and beyond all that, Thank you.

11. Collapse Details

Its been a great year and its hard to believe the site has grown as fast as it has, I remember all the time spent testing like it was yesterday and the feeling of WOW this might just work and now a year later its beyound what was hoped for due to work and time spent by the few, but for the most part all the members that have made our jobs so easy by understanding that this is our home as it is thiers and we are after all one big family in this erisistable sport that brings us all togeather on here.

My hats off to the members that have been here from the start and everyone inbetween and all the newbes yet to visit, this is our home away from the water, for the love of the sport.

Thanks to all of you for inviteing me to your home I am honered to play a part in it.
    Last edited by cosmic12; 01-12-2010 at 09:43 AM.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    I for one am happy to have this as a 'home' I attended several activities last season and wore my serious shirt with pride. Of all people, I have to thank Stecz for bringing me onboard during the 'beta' phase and I have tried to show my appreciation by trying to keep the house clean (though my interior decorating skills have ocasionally been questioned). Throughout the last year I have shared boat rides and drinks with many new friends and to Chris and company, my hats off to you.

stecz is for the little people, like you ***gle.....
    Hi, Im Dave.. Welcome, glad to have ya.....

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    So well said my friend.....Thanks for inviting me into this group of fine individuals that I am honored to be a part of!!!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by stecz20 View Post
    stecz is for the little people, like you ***gle.....
    Groundhog Day is in February

Back to Jersey Shore greaseball

15. Collapse Details

Thanks for a great year! Hopefully the weather will break soon. Looks like a big party is coming in a couple of weeks!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails caliber.jpg  

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    Well said Chris. But above and beyond all that, Thank you.
    Absolutely. +1 !!!
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the
    American Military. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

17. Collapse Details

It was an honor to be invited - thanks again!!

rs

18. Collapse Details

Cheers!

Also thanks for posting the information, I never really knew how things were managed.

19. Collapse Details

Congratz & many more years to come
    ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DRYDEN PERFORMANCE MARINE 302-367-4962

20. Collapse Details

Two suggestions:

1. This thread should be a sticky at the top.

2. Each user's profile should have a spot where we can upload an actual photo of ourselves. Many of us are just finding time to attend events in person. Being able to match faces with screennames would be helpful.

Keep up the good work. This site is truly better than the old one.