Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    28 Saber vs 28 Pantera
    Anyone owned both or been on both. Just kind of curious, how they compare in ride, handling, room etc.

2. Collapse Details

From what I hear they are similar.

Are you talking about single or twins because that will affect peoples answers.

I have ridden in quite a few offshore v bottoms rangine in size from 25-43ft over the last few years and as far as pure 'fun to run factor' none have really struck me as having been more fun than a 28 Single Pantera with a big motor. Not saying it performs better but man, even guys that have big offshores have told me they love running this little thing. It is just really a fun boat to run in most water under 5ft.

2-4's this boat likes to fly and I can run balls to the wall at 82mph (it will go faster next summer with prop work and new engine).

28 Pantera is a special boat.

Mine

Last edited by ar15meister; 01-06-2010 at 03:58 PM.

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details

Nice lookin boat ! The black is Baaaadaaaasssss !!!!

5. Collapse Details

I think some of the chesapeake boys may be able to help... especially jdub.
    Quite a few 28 panteras there, and jdub had a 28 saber.

6. Collapse Details

pantera

7. Collapse Details

the only thing is that most Saber 28's I have seen have been rigged with twins.

I honestly dont see any point, aside from the fact you can get home on one engine, to running twins in a style of boat that runs so well with a single. If you are offshore running OK but where I boat in the big lakes a tow or help is usually close by.

I would only buy twins if I was buying a bigger boat that needed them to run properly.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ar15meister View Post

I honestly dont see any point, aside from the fact you can get home on one engine, to running twins in a style of boat that runs so well with a single.
    Agreed (you can also throw in that you may be able to plane easier too). At that size they are more balanced with a single engine and working on a twin in a 28 is a headache. I personally like the Pantera's; solid boat, very deep for a 28, and a pretty decent cabin size (and headroom) too.

9. Collapse Details

Lildcsrodshop (Scotty) has owned both too and he may be able to put in a word or two about it.

I've never been in a Saber, but I do seem to have a fairly strong preference for Pantera...

The Team Kansas / Wave Hippie boat does seem to run like an ass-grabbed sorority girl. But its been a while since you've seen a 28 Pantera with a pair of strong running modern Small blocks.

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

10. Collapse Details

And frankly, the only way we can REALLY settle this is with a fight to the death.

11. Collapse Details

Isn't there one of those all black Panteras for sale right now somewhere ?

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BRD View Post
    Isn't there one of those all black Panteras for sale right now somewhere ?
    The 35 F2 boat has been for sale at the factory for a while. 2x world champ as I recall and the only one they've built...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35_Lake7.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

Beautiful !

14. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stormrider View Post
    I think some of the chesapeake boys may be able to help... especially jdub.
    Quite a few 28 panteras there, and jdub had a 28 saber.
    There are a few 28 Pantera's on the Chesapeake......(was) only one 28 Saber though But honestly they are both great boats. As far as looks go I liked the flat deck and straight fairing on my Saber. Plus they have a nice catwalk from the stern to helm around the sides. I do like how the fairing slops down on the Pantera's though. As far as ride goes I feel my Saber rode softer and felt more solid then the Pantera's I have been in. More solid because the Saber's entire hull was balsa cored. The Pantera's I rode in were not. Softer ride because of the rounded keel and full length running strakes. They both handle rough water great. I did fell more "in" the boat with the Saber and more "on" the boat with the Pantera. Not better either way...just different feeling. You gotta ride in both to really see and feel the difference. Either way you can't go wrong.....bad ass customs.

15. Collapse Details

The Pantera hulls aren't fully cored???

16. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    The bottoms are....but I don't think the sides are. Atleast not the ones I was in. If they were it was not much. Giving a more hollow sound and feel. Obviously they are both built like tanks....but he asked the difference between the two. Here's a few pics of me and Danny tied up....before anybody says it I was forward a bit because my swimplatfrom was longer and we lined those up. I think the Saber might be a couple inches longer though...not much at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails saber 073.jpg   saber 068.jpg   saber 070.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    The Saber is noticably narrower. If I recall we measured it from rubrail to rubrail and it was like 8" narrower maybe more, I can't remember. You can also see the catwalk from this angle on the Saber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails saber 065.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

Anyone have pics of the twin-smallblock 28 Saber that won National and World Championships owned by Brad Harrington?
    Abbysomeone

19. Collapse Details

Here it is before he bought it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails profile.jpg   stern.jpg   2.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    There are a few 28 Pantera's on the Chesapeake......(was) only one 28 Saber though But honestly they are both great boats. As far as looks go I liked the flat deck and straight fairing on my Saber. .
    +1 plus I also like the cockpit layout on Saber better and the fact many 28īs are twins.
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.