Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

I think the disadvantage to the single is the need for bigger power to run the same speed as a more reliable lower power (per engine) twin. Also the twin will not be as hard on drives. The single will be more balanced but I like the idea of having a backup engine in the event of any failure.
    Here is a real clean twin.
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/class...age=out&id=608

2. Collapse Details

SBC is the way to go in these boats.
    Twin 475hp and bravos... low maint... should run 80.
    What's Austin running speed wise w/ his 350s?

3. Collapse Details

Here is another way to look at the twin vs big single debate. Lets say most of your boating is done cruising at 55mph with only occasional blasts up to 80mph+. What package would you rather have cruising at 55mph where most of your boating is done? The mild twin big blocks or the maxed out single? For reliability purposes and ease of usage I know which package I would want.

4. Collapse Details

The Saber 28 really works well with twins ! I have not run or been in a single . I do agree with the theory of 2 engines at say 500 hp each vs. a single big hp engine being more reliable and most likely faster with less headaches ect ...

5. Collapse Details

Is the question regarding a race boat or a pleasure version?

I'd think there might be a little bit of weight diff between the two --- load up a 28 with people and coolers with a cabin and put a single to work! I have heard of twin SBC in 28's but have never been in one to comment.

Myself I like the idea of 2 engines --

Haven't been in either of the Pantera or Sabers, but why is Apache not in this question? I guess I am bias but I would go with and Apache -- not the fastest but definitely built to last.

Dave

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lettuce View Post
    Is the question regarding a race boat or a pleasure version?

I'd think there might be a little bit of weight diff between the two --- load up a 28 with people and coolers with a cabin and put a single to work! I have heard of twin SBC in 28's but have never been in one to comment.

Myself I like the idea of 2 engines --

Haven't been in either of the Pantera or Sabers, but why is Apache not in this question? I guess I am bias but I would go with and Apache -- not the fastest but definitely built to last.

Dave
    Dave , just curious have you ever seen the build on a Saber , the 28's are built like a brick $hit house and to tell you the truth i would take a 28 ,Saber over a 28 Apache any day of the week .

7. Collapse Details

Decided on the Saber, liked the overall look a little better, liked the straight across shield, flat enigine hatch and transom better. Liked the walkaround though it is minimal. Has a little bit more freeboard and headroom in the cabin. Nothing against the Pantera, is is a great boat too, just like the Saber a little better, plus it was made in my home state, gotta love that. Plus like said above, the Saber is built like a tank.

8. Collapse Details

i think all 3 are great boats === and all are built very well, I guess i was just surprised as usually the question has all 3 makes.

I'm sure you will be very happy with the saber -- I think they are faster than the apaches with the same power also.

9. Collapse Details
    Red face
    Quote Originally Posted by hotjava66 View Post
    Decided on the Saber, liked the overall look a little better, liked the straight across shield, flat enigine hatch and transom better. Liked the walkaround though it is minimal. Has a little bit more freeboard and headroom in the cabin. Nothing against the Pantera, is is a great boat too, just like the Saber a little better, plus it was made in my home state, gotta love that. Plus like said above, the Saber is built like a tank.
    hey which one did you buy and what power, I am waiting for my motor its suppost to be done next week cause I got a building I rented for the the month of march to rig it. its long term rented starting in april if not I am out 800big ones. hoping for 1100hp but may have to install my old motor which I was going to change the intake and cam in once the new motor shows up. with old motor I figured it would run in the p5 class new motor p4. I need it running by april or will lose my main sponsor, they sponsor local motorcycle racing , and need to see a whole running boat otherwise it goes to the bikers, I can't blame them. so I am hoping for the best. I bought the 28 saber in oct. with small pulley hope to see a 100. so whats you got!!!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by AIR TIME View Post
    hey which one did you buy and what power, I am waiting for my motor its suppost to be done next week cause I got a building I rented for the the month of march to rig it. its long term rented starting in april if not I am out 800big ones. hoping for 1100hp but may have to install my old motor which I was going to change the intake and cam in once the new motor shows up. with old motor I figured it would run in the p5 class new motor p4. I need it running by april or will lose my main sponsor, they sponsor local motorcycle racing , and need to see a whole running boat otherwise it goes to the bikers, I can't blame them. so I am hoping for the best. I bought the 28 saber in oct. with small pulley hope to see a 100. so whats you got!!!
    Good luck getting it all done!!
    Hope everything comes together for you.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".