Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Pulling an Engine- Pantera 28 Single
    Any tips on pulling my engine. Big Block single with imco.

I am yanking it on Saturday and sending it to the builder got one of my shop mechanics coming in to help me.

Already been bugging Airpacker too much so I thought I would ask any of the Pantera dudes if they have any tips or what.

2. Collapse Details

Drive off first...

We used a fork truck and a loading dock. Worked great. Backed the boat up with the engine hatch off and everything disconnected. Pulled up the fork truck and lifted it right on out. No problemo.

Of course it was an indoor dock in Southern California... You'll probably freeze your balls off at your place this weekend!

Good luck bud!

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

3. Collapse Details

Oh yah, and I thought it was WAY easier than pulling motors out of cars!

4. Collapse Details

I am going to be doing it indoors in my warehouse, with a smoke and a beer and Zeppelin on the stereo.....

I am planning to pull off the drive and engine hatch Friday night, get everything disconnected inside the engine compartment except the mounting bolts and then I am going to pull the boat up to the block and tackle, hook up and pull the engine then back the boat back and drop the engine into the bed of the pickup onto a skid.

Sound like a decent plan?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Oh yah, and I thought it was WAY easier than pulling motors out of cars!
    It is (unless it is a C1 Corvette which is identical or easier )..like setting up a boat for a race too... just put the prop on and do a test run and trim it.
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ar15meister View Post
    I am going to be doing it indoors in my warehouse, with a smoke and a beer and Zeppelin on the stereo.....

I am planning to pull off the drive and engine hatch Friday night, get everything disconnected inside the engine compartment except the mounting bolts and then I am going to pull the boat up to the block and tackle, hook up and pull the engine then back the boat back and drop the engine into the bed of the pickup onto a skid.

Sound like a decent plan?
    Correct on all counts....

Bytheway...what beer and how much...do not go more than 5 longnecks while wrenching so you remember everything while putting everything back...
    After that you can sit by the boat and get pizzed...
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    Correct on all counts....

Bytheway...what beer and how much...do not go more than 5 longnecks while wrenching so you remember everything while putting everything back...
    After that you can sit by the boat and get pizzed...
    I will be sure to limit intake to 5 or less.

Moosehead maybe? It is on sale right now so I have been drinking alot of that!

8. Collapse Details

Moosehead will do for a Canuck and Finn..

Unless you got any Karhu (Bear) around.
    Me on the other hand try to stay while wrenching totally off beer..just relax with it later...maybe enjoy a cigar first.
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 01-06-2010 at 02:20 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Adam, you probably know this as well, but masking tape and a pen are your friends... Label everything that comes off and where it went. Probably worth the trouble to take some hi-res (large) photos of the engine compartment before dissasembly as well.

There's nothing tricky to it. I don't think it took us more than a couple hours from the first hatch pin to cleaning up the huge oily mess on the floor from the oil lines...

10. Collapse Details

Adam, as I told you , one hour, no more and its on the floor. Drink several beers AFTERWARDS!

PS, this 36 Cord you guys dropped off at my shop is kinda cool. Be better if it had brakes tho

11. Collapse Details

1 hour that is at most.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post
    Adam, as I told you , one hour, no more and its on the floor. Drink several beers AFTERWARDS!

PS, this 36 Cord you guys dropped off at my shop is kinda cool. Be better if it had brakes tho
    I drove it on Richmond St to load it into a trailer just before Christmas on night at 1am after the bars closed down and was the one who got to find out that it had no brakes...thank god for the parking brake...

13. Collapse Details

I will take some pics to post in my redo thread. the redo that hasnt even started yet except in my mind and out of my mouth when drinking..lol.

14. Collapse Details

wish i had a 28 pantera to pull the engine on.

maybe ill get my drivers license chanced to an "Enhanced"(sp) one and drive over just to get some time messing around on one. cant be that far of a drive.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaross97 View Post
    wish i had a 28 pantera to pull the engine on.

maybe ill get my drivers license chanced to an "Enhanced"(sp) one and drive over just to get some time messing around on one. cant be that far of a drive.
    there are alot of nice ones for sale.

I would just buy one if I were you then you can have all the fun of blowing engines, breaking down at horrible times, spending 500 per weekend on fuel, maintaning trailers, etc,etc,etc.

But that one time when the waves are perfect and the sun is at the right place in the sky and you are blasting across the lake at 80 plus mph with a couple screaming broads you will remember that it is all worth it!!

Cheers.

16. Collapse Details

17. Collapse Details

J Roc on the throttles!

Seriously though... That's an awesome picture!

I was talking about taking pictures of stuff so you know where it goes when you put it back together... But can't wait to see them either!

18. Collapse Details

J to the R-O-C....It could happen to you cause it happened to me...and T...lol

19. Collapse Details

Dude! It's Bouy!

That's too freakin' funny bud!

20. Collapse Details

The dude in the background is clearly suffering from the "Julian-effect"... Oh my!