Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CRT View Post

I have heard this statement many times.
    I want to sell my 35'Cafe so I can get a 38' Top Gun.
    But, I don't think I have ever heard, I want to sell my Top Gun to get a Cafe!
    I really wanted a TG, but at the time the place where we were going to drystack it had a 36' length limit, so we got the Cafe. Then after we bought, they notified me of the weight limit & even the Cafe was too much.

But now after owning, i cant see a need to go from 35 -> 38. While a TS would be nice, they are no where near our budget.

2. Collapse Details

I have seen Kramers boat in person..It is as close to perfect as you will get..And a fresh water boat....

I have no doubt Tanks is VERY nice to and the 3as are a big plus to me...

Good Luck !

3. Collapse Details

Scott's boat is in very well-cared-for condition.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BDiggity View Post
    But now after owning, i cant see a need to go from 35 -> 38. While a TS would be nice, they are no where near our budget.
    I agree. The only way I would trade my cafe for a gun is if I was going to make money. If it was break even then I will keep the lines of the Cafe.

Put them beside each other - the difference isn't even worth discussing. I like the cockpit and the raked look of the deck on the Cafe.

When I sell my Cafe it will be to go to a much bigger rig, or to one of the few T/S Cigs with enclosed bathrooms. It sure as hell won't be to gain a few extra inches.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Bigger isn't always better. The Top Gun is substantially heavier than the Cafe. With equal equipment and drivelines you're talking an easy 5-6 mph. and unless you're in some real slop, you'll never notice the difference between them ride-wise.

The Top Gun cockpit is a small amount larger and deeper and the cabin is a little roomier, but not so much that you'd notice.

So unless you're big-water boating, what pay for the extra fuel consumption, the larger engines and the increased strain on the drives?
    Actually, with equal power/drives a Top Gun is faster than a Cafe. The hull is more efficient. Don't take it from me, that is right out of the mouth of Craig Barrie. And we've had the discussion more than once.

Weight wise, I would say the Gun is probably 1k heavier. You hear dry weights on both Guns and Cafes and they're all over the place. Isn't a cafe dry like 9k and a gun is supposed to be 10k?

With all that said, a buddy owned a Cafe and it was the first boat I really had a LOT of seat time in (both driving and riding in). I absolutely love cafe's. Matter of fact, when I was looking to buy I was specifically looking at Cafes but Phil had my gun and made it happen. I've never regretted the decision, only looked back and was thankful it turned out the way it did.

So, not taking anything away from Skramers boat. It's f*ckin' sweet. Always thought it was one of the nicest cafe's out there. And really, I'm not in a war on who can sell their boat to you. Look around, weigh the options, see what works for you the best and when you're ready, buy what you love.

It's all good.
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Actually, with equal power/drives a Top Gun is faster than a Cafe. The hull is more efficient. Don't take it from me, that is right out of the mouth of Craig Barrie. And we've had the discussion more than once.
    I have always heard the EXACT same thing. Was surprised to hear Chris say different.

Weight wise, I would say the Gun is probably 1k heavier. You hear dry weights on both Guns and Cafes and they're all over the place. Isn't a cafe dry like 9k and a gun is supposed to be 10k?
    My Cafe Spec sheet says 9600.

It's all good.
    Agreed!!

7. Collapse Details

Cafe spec. is 9600 and the gun says 10500 i have an 87 broucher at home from my cafe and the gun measures 37'6'' cafe is 35'0''
    -Mike

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafordguy View Post

I believe Most TG's are notched transoms.

NO cafe's are.
    I'm in NO way trying to be rude, but there actually are just a few Cafe's with notched transoms. One of them has been on our lake since it was new, and owned by a really good friend of mine for years.

Here are a few pics I had to take a few years ago, to settle an argument on the subject, lol:

Coincidentally, it is the "actual" boat, that was used in License to Kill. Paperwork & factory proven :

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post
    I'm in NO way trying to be rude, but there actually are just a few Cafe's with notched transoms. One of them has been on our lake since it was new, and owned by a really good friend of mine for years.

Here are a few pics I had to take a few years ago, to settle an argument on the subject, lol:
    Brandon, you are absolutely correct. We've had this conversation before on a different thread. Matter of fact it was also that thread we discussed speed comparisons between the Cafe and Gun and it was at that time I called Craig to get the info straight from the source, since he was running Cigarette at that time. As I recall he said there were 4-5 Cafe's made with notched transoms.
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

10. Collapse Details

Damn - learn something new every day. I swore that there weren't any. How do they perform in comparison??

Are they on the older ones or later ones?

11. Collapse Details

Brandon, you are absolutely correct. We've had this conversation before on a different thread. Matter of fact it was also that thread we discussed speed comparisons between the Cafe and Gun and it was at that time I called Craig to get the info straight from the source, since he was running Cigarette at that time. As I recall he said there were 4-5 Cafe's made with notched transoms.
    That's the thread! When I had mentioned the notched Cafe's, one of the former regulars back then, had quite a smart ass comment trying to be a know it all. He never replied when I went "all in" with pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Seafordguy View Post
    Damn - learn something new every day. I swore that there weren't any. How do they perform in comparison??

Are they on the older ones or later ones?
    No prob man! They tried it on the earlier ones. It didn't work as it was intended, and his boat needs tab at every speed. He has driven the boat for so long, that HE can walk that tab out as the sticks go forward, without losing the balance & porposing the hell out of it. It's a tougher boat to drive, unless you want to run some tab all the time.

12. Collapse Details

Hey Brandon that looks like the Cafe that was used in the James bond movie?? saw the 007 on the side, just wondering?

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WMF View Post
    Hey Brandon that looks like the Cafe that was used in the James bond movie?? saw the 007 on the side, just wondering?
    Coincidentally, it is the "actual" boat, that was used in License to Kill. Paperwork & factory proven :

Very cool Cafe'! I have tied up with him several times and been through the boat. Very nice!

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WMF View Post

That's the boat

He has the movie cued to that specific part up at his lake house on VHS. Funniest part, is after they escape the shootout, he stops to go ahead & bang the chick. They lean against the steering wheel, and the boat lets out a loud honk that sounded like a Peterbilt, lol

Thanks Matt!

15. Collapse Details

That's the boat

He has the movie cued to that specific part up at his lake house on VHS. Funniest part, is after they escape the shootout, he stops to go ahead & bang the chick. They lean against the steering wheel, and the boat lets out a loud honk that sounded like a Peterbilt, lol

Thanks Matt!
    Which Bond movie was it? I've heard this boat was in it for years but have never seen the flick.

16. Collapse Details

Licence to Kill with Timothy Dalton. Set in th ekeys- sort of a Miami Vice ripoff. He bangs the broad from Law & Order- Richard Gere's wife. Forget her name.

17. Collapse Details

Here is the complete video!! enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjSyP8XxpAQ

18. Collapse Details

Boy needs to learn how to ease into a slip......

I was just looking for that video but you beat me too it.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dated View Post
    Boy needs to learn how to ease into a slip......

I was just looking for that video but you beat me too it.
    lol yeah i remember the scene. Didnt then as they were fleeing they develop a fuel leak gushing out the transom from taking some shotgun or sub-machine blasts? never understood how that could happen, but makes for good movie.

20. Collapse Details

What I need is one of those pistol-grip shotguns that blows 3 foot diameter holes through building walls but doesn't hurt the boat sitting right on the other side.