Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Congratulations, and he looks like he'll be a great friend. We almost packed up a italian greyhound at the rescue my wife's mom volunteers at.

2. Collapse Details

Huskies are great pets Chloe just turned 9 in November..... Beautiful little puppy enjoy!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails misc 08 001.JPG  

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nice....

Congratulations
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    Good Luck Rick..my Dalmatian was put away at 13 also the 3.12.2009...miss him a lot but not ready for an own dog yet.
    Sorry to hear that, the dalmation was great, but a lot of work. He had a ruff life and still made it longer than most. Dont rush into another it is a big committment, I wouldnt have done it, but the wife missed the dalmation.

5. Collapse Details

R, sorry to hear about the Dalmation, they are cool dogs.

I raised Siberian Husky's several years ago, still my favorite breed. Intelligent, loyal and great attitudes, just all around cool dogs. The Husky mix in yours will make him a roamer, and they can clear 4' fences in a single bound. I found the best way to deal with that was to never teach them to go over things, but to go around them. The last few I raised could be "fenced" in by placing a 6" tall object across a hallway to block them in. They would not come out until it was removed.

As far as water, mine all loved it. Excellent swimmers, my last one also accompanied me on motor and sailboats. I even got him to where he would not to flip me off the windsurfer when we went out..

6. Collapse Details

Huskies are great dogs...loving, loyal, mischievous, and very smart. I lost mine at 14.5 last year. They have a strong pack instinct, if you aren't the alpha, they will be. They are curious explorers, and this can get them into trouble. They usually don't make good watchdogs, as they want to be everyones friend. They can be high energy and love their excercise.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Madpoodle View Post

I raised Siberian Husky's several years ago, still my favorite breed. Intelligent, loyal and great attitudes, just all around cool dogs. The Husky mix in yours will make him a roamer, and they can clear 4' fences in a single bound. I found the best way to deal with that was to never teach them to go over things, but to go around them. The last few I raised could be "fenced" in by placing a 6" tall object across a hallway to block them in. They would not come out until it was removed.

As far as water, mine all loved it. Excellent swimmers, my last one also accompanied me on motor and sailboats. I even got him to where he would not to flip me off the windsurfer when we went out..
    We have a set of stairs to get on the couch that I made and carpeted to match the living room when the Dalmation was having problems, this little critter figured them out in less than 24 hours. I may need a taller fence, only got 4' around the house now, but I know if its up to the wife he will be a lap dog.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 32storm View Post
    Huskies are great dogs...loving, loyal, mischievous, and very smart. I lost mine at 14.5 last year. They have a strong pack instinct, if you aren't the alpha, they will be. They are curious explorers, and this can get them into trouble. They usually don't make good watchdogs, as they want to be everyones friend. They can be high energy and love their excercise.

Excersise is no problem, he will get plenty of walks. We have about a 3 acre pond behind the house that is community property, all of the neghbors walk their dog around it, about 1/4 mile wak or so. I did this with the Dalmation for the last few years(since we have lived here), its a great way to meet neighbors, and their dogs. Also, with his brother staying in the family(with a close friend) he will get time at the dog park with his brother.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    Sorry to hear that, the dalmation was great, but a lot of work. He had a ruff life and still made it longer than most. Dont rush into another it is a big committment, I wouldnt have done it, but the wife missed the dalmation.
    Being single and a Trucker canīt have a dog, plus doesnīt know for sure where Iīll end up living in the future.
    Huskies would fare well at least this winter over here, boy havenīt had this much snow for a decade But Iīm thinking a Bullterrier would fit my bill.

The Dalmatian we had was way too smart to be a dog...sat on the sofa like a human and liked to be a 85lbs lap dog...
    Loved me the day I met him @ 4 months old and was always my lap dog thenagain Iīve always been well met by dogs.
    Came to us as 4―yrs after a divorce.
    Could also tell when I was stressed and stayed away though.

But being that and having German shephards before I had a hard time learning It canīt walk with you like a German..( a robot that is..)
    Itīs a watch dog also and being muscular a ruff around children.
    And with other dogs..well lets just say a hardheaded tough sob mine was at least, didnīt give back an inch and was ready for an whooping knowing someday he will be on top the other ( in our cases a great Dane and Rottie at the stables..)
    The picture people have of Dalmatians is quite misleading...like you said a lot of work...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP1929.JPG   IMGP1937.JPG  
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Madpoodle View Post

I raised Siberian Husky's several years ago, still my favorite breed. Intelligent, loyal and great attitudes, just all around cool dogs. The Husky mix in yours will make him a roamer, and they can clear 4' fences in a single bound. I found the best way to deal with that was to never teach them to go over things, but to go around them.
    100% agreed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My%20Misha.jpg  
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    Being single and a Trucker canīt have a dog, plus doesnīt know for sure where Iīll end up living in the future.
    Huskies would fare well at least this winter over here, boy havenīt had this much snow for a decade But Iīm thinking a Bullterrier would fit my bill.

The Dalmatian we had was way too smart to be a dog...sat on the sofa like a human and liked to be a 85lbs lap dog...
    Loved me the day I met him @ 4 months old and was always my lap dog thenagain Iīve always been well met by dogs.
    Came to us as 4―yrs after a divorce.
    Could also tell when I was stressed and stayed away though.

But being that and having German shephards before I had a hard time learning It canīt walk with you like a German..( a robot that is..)
    Itīs a watch dog also and being muscular a ruff around children.
    And with other dogs..well lets just say a hardheaded tough sob mine was at least, didnīt give back an inch and was ready for an whooping knowing someday he will be on top the other ( in our cases a great Dane and Rottie at the stables..)
    The picture people have of Dalmatians is quite misleading...like you said a lot of work...
    Beutiful dog,

mine acted just like that, but looked a little different, he was kinda a misfit, blotches rather than spots in some places, and small, was only 50 pounds.

12. Collapse Details

Well that one was a showdog in itīs former life...and hated it.

That one was a brink of being overbuilt and the head more of an amstaffs and too square than the typical rounded one Dalmatians are supposed to have but the smiles it gave made those not familiair with dogs take precautions...
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    100% agreed.
    Nice pic and a fine example.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    We have a set of stairs to get on the couch that I made and carpeted to match the living room when the Dalmation was having problems, this little critter figured them out in less than 24 hours. I may need a taller fence, only got 4' around the house now, but I know if its up to the wife he will be a lap dog.

Stairs not a problem, just don't train him to go OVER anything.. People used to freak out at Kennedy park in the Grove when my Huskies would do a belly crawl under the 2' tall fence there rather than go over it. The only thing I taught them to jump in was the truck..