Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ITLLFLI View Post
    AND oh by the way I was in the 22 driving PAST the sut!!
    I believe the Sut has a 496HO in it. What's in the Donzi?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Team Tsunami View Post
    A buddy of mine who is very good friends with Craig talked to him and he said things are pick up down at Donzi. They actually just had a great month in sales!!
    Thats great to hear .

3. Collapse Details

Hey, Team Tsunami, way to hijack a thread man. You must be hard up to sell your boats. The thread author was asking for comparisons between the Donzi 22 Classic and Cigarette Cig 20. Please start a new thread to push your little Sutphens. BTW, my Donzi 22C runs mid 80s with a best to date of 85.8. I run it on the Great Lakes and can cruise at 80 conditions permitting.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CRC View Post
    Hey, Team Tsunami, way to hijack a thread man. You must be hard up to sell your boats. The thread author was asking for comparisons between the Donzi 22 Classic and Cigarette Cig 20. Please start a new thread to push your little Sutphens. BTW, my Donzi 22C runs mid 80s with a best to date of 85.8. I run it on the Great Lakes and can cruise at 80 conditions permitting.
    All I did was give someone another option if they didnt know about them. How is the boat little when your boat is only 1ft longer?? How much power you running to run those numbers when a Sutphen can do it with 425hp and a stock 3 blade? I also dont own them!! I own a bigger one and a cat!!

5. Collapse Details

BFD...

nobody cares..
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

6. Collapse Details

There is a lot more to it then which boat goes faster with a 496. He was asking about the Cig 20 and Donzi 22C. If he is to consider Sutphen then why not Baja, Checkmate and Sunsation also, to name a few. I don't have a problem with Sutphen but geeez.....

7. Collapse Details

There is a lot more to it then which boat goes faster with a 496. He was asking about the Cig 20 and Donzi 22C. If he is to consider Sutphen then why not Baja, Checkmate and Sunsation also, to name a few. I don't have a problem with Sutphen but geeez.....
    I dont have a problem with Donzi (used to know alot of guys that worked there) or Cigarette(Used to own one). I was just informing someone about the SUtphen's if they didnt know about them and people jumped all over Sutphen so I defended them. You must have one of the few with a 525?? Its a great motor!

8. Collapse Details

I dont have a problem with Donzi (used to know alot of guys that worked there) or Cigarette(Used to own one). I was just informing someone about the SUtphen's if they didnt know about them and people jumped all over Sutphen so I defended them. You must have one of the few with a 525?? Its a great motor!
    I don't see everyone jumping all over Sutphen. A lot of Donzi folks think they are fine boats. Yes I have a 525 and the donzi does need more power to match the speed of the 21' Sutphen but it also has a deeper v hull with no pad and weighs considerably more. The 22 Classic is a capable tripple digit boat. It is a driver's boat that is a hell of a lot of fun to drive after you figure it out! It can handle rough seas. It can carve tight deep banked turns. It is very forgiving when you hit that rougue wake or wave. I have no experience with the Cig 20 but I am very happy with my Donzi. I posted pics of my boat toward the end of the Donzi picture thread.

9. Collapse Details

I originally started the thread due to all the interest in the Cig 20's being built new with Phil/restored etc. I thought of the Donzi 22 as a close comparison since it was the same vintage. I think the Sutphen could easily be a contender since it is sized right between the two and runs nicely on stock power.

All three boats are cool "little" boats and I would surely test drive all three before buying one. The Cig would be the most unique at the dock, the Donzi in Shelby trim would be cool and that blue Sutphen would be the sleeper that no one would know and would probably field a lot of questions on the dock.

10. Collapse Details

Sheesh...who sh!t in your Corn Flakes? What do you care? Afraid there's options to your precious Donzi? This is a boating forum with a great wealth of information that's shared. I'm sure as heck glad some steered me away from the boat I was looking at when I purchased my first offshore boat.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    I originally started the thread due to all the interest in the Cig 20's being built new with Phil/restored etc. I thought of the Donzi 22 as a close comparison since it was the same vintage. I think the Sutphen could easily be a contender since it is sized right between the two and runs nicely on stock power.

All three boats are cool "little" boats and I would surely test drive all three before buying one. The Cig would be the most unique at the dock, the Donzi in Shelby trim would be cool and that blue Sutphen would be the sleeper that no one would know and would probably field a lot of questions on the dock.
    Jupiter, there is a guy here in Michigan producing special edition 22 Classics ala the Lipshutz Cig 20s. They are really cool but not cheap of course.

Indy, I don't want to argue with you. I already clearly stated my feelings on this thread. I like them all but this thread was not asking about smaller boats in general but rather how two specific boats compare. No slam on the Sutphen. I just thought it was out of place.

12. Collapse Details

Jupiter, there is a guy here in Michigan producing special edition 22 Classics ala the Lipshutz Cig 20s. They are really cool but not cheap of course.
    CRC is that the guy that did the red/white/blue 22? I think TAOD painted it and it was awesome!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    CRC is that the guy that did the red/white/blue 22? I think TAOD painted it and it was awesome!
    I believe that is the guy. His name is Mick and he goes by Hot-Shot on the forums. That first boat was a proto type. The next ones will be a little different.

14. Collapse Details

I agree with the Cigarette holding it's value because it is a Cigarette. Actually I think some may have appreciated in value!
    Appreciated in value? My father bought the first 20' Cigarette Don Aronow made. I was a kid back then, and I am fairly certain he paid $8,500 for it; we drove to Miami and picked it up. It did have a rounded keel as stated in an earlier post.

Not a very good picture, but here is the very first 20' Cigarette made in Brigintine NJ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20 Cigarette.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

the "20" cig started in the 1972 model year and was called a 19. 3 boats were produced in that year. the boat in the linked video was purchased by the original owner off the floor from Don Aronow at the NY city National boat show in dec of 1971. at that time the show was held in the NY coliseum.
    It has lived it's entire life on my lake. this is the second owner of the boat and it has gone thru a full resto to original condition.
    350 sbc 330 hp chris craft corvette motor and volvo 270 outdrive. we have confirmed serial numbers it is original and produced in 1971. the motor has new alum heads and is @ about 350hp now

this is believed to be the first cig 19 and one of the 3 1972 cig 19s after 72 it was called a 20due to uscg regs on floatation foam same boat same length

it is a great boat , as are all the 20's, the 22 ain't bad either and I have driven the sutphen too not bad either . they all have their merits . the best advice would be get into all of them and make up your own mind.

smarty nice boat still in the family?? would love to hear more about it and how it was rigged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xGJ2lV17UQ--
    Last edited by mattyboy; 01-10-2010 at 01:33 PM.

16. Collapse Details

I believe that is the guy. His name is Mick and he goes by Hot-Shot on the forums. That first boat was a proto type. The next ones will be a little different.
    Just curious where in mich is his location ?

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Just curious where in mich is his location ?
    Downriver area near Flatrock.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    the "20" cig started in the 1972 model year and was called a 19. 3 boats were produced in that year. the boat in the linked video was purchased by the original owner off the floor from Don Aronow at the NY city National boat show in dec of 1971. at that time the show was held in the NY coliseum.
    It has lived it's entire life on my lake. this is the second owner of the boat and it has gone thru a full resto to original condition.
    350 sbc 330 hp chris craft corvette motor and volvo 270 outdrive. we have confirmed serial numbers it is original and produced in 1971. the motor has new alum heads and is @ about 350hp now

this is believed to be the first cig 19 and one of the 3 1972 cig 19s after 72 it was called a 20due to uscg regs on floatation foam same boat same length

it is a great boat , as are all the 20's, the 22 ain't bad either and I have driven the sutphen too not bad either . they all have their merits . the best advice would be get into all of them and make up your own mind.

smarty nice boat still in the family?? would love to hear more about it and how it was rigged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xGJ2lV17UQ--
    My father went to Miami ordered the boat from Don, and when it finally built our family went down to pick-up it up and tow it home to NJ. We went to Disney on the way down to get the boat and tow it home. My mother has informed me that it was NOT the first 20' Cigarette made, sorry for the mistake. We were at the factory 1972 or 1973 (I think I was eight years old so that would make it 1973). My mother says she even remembers what she was wearing the day when she met Don Aronow to pick up the 20' Cigarette, she always wanted to be in fashion back then (why she remembers this is confusing to me, but none-the-less that is her memory of our family trip to the Cigarette Racing Factory).

The boat had a 350 cu.in SBC and a 270 Volvo form the factory. The upper case came through the housing later on and a new 280 drive was installed. My father worked and worked on that Cigarette to make it run good/strong. He sold it in 1978/1979 and ordered a new 24' Pantera Special Edition (V-windshield).

To me the 20' Cigarette seemed liked an elongated 18' Donzi, my father previousluy had an 16' and 18' Donzi. If my father were still alive I could tell you more, but he passed-away in 2008. The 20' Cigarette wasn't a bad boat, just a small boat. Rode a little drier than the Donzi(s), but it was longer too. The Cigarette, and Pantera were ordered new and picked-up in Miami, my father liked his Miami trips (according to my mother). Getting the Pantera home from Florida is a thread in itself.

I would think getting a 22' Donzi would be a nice step up in ride, but after having been in both brands, I would be Cigarette loyal....price obviously would drive the decision.

PS - The Cigarette had the drive height elevated, many, many props, different cylinder heads, exhaust, cam, ect.....Much different in performance in the end years, as well as bottom-work. My father worked on all the boats bottoms he ever owned to straighten the bottom (no hook or mold-imperfections). He sold the 20' Cigarette to a fella on the Rancocas Creek here in NJ, who later painted the boat a different color (I think it was painted brown???)
    Last edited by Smarty; 01-10-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Donzi was purchased new in Stone Harbor NJ in 1969.

19. Collapse Details

Smarty no need to apologize it very well could be the first one called a 20 that left the factory. yes it is an early one if it was rigged with a 350 volvo
    that's a great story. funny what women remember. those trips to Miami must have been fun

the boat in the video sat in rack storage for years below an 18 classic. the hulls are almost identical. the wood stripe and accents on the 20 made the boat very unique . we replaced the teak with red mahogany it looks awesome.

the 19 always got more attention than my 16 at the docks

20. Collapse Details

A few pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3000.jpg   DSCN6405.jpg