Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mrhorsepower1 View Post
    Actually a step test is more accurate when you want to know figures at a given rpm. My endurance engines I run step tests. With step testing, The engine is ramped by 100, 250, 500, 1000 , ect rpm and held there for approx. 3 seconds on each step . This allows more accurate torque and HP numbers at that rpm. With Sweep tests or acceleration testing the numbers will be a bit lower due to the time the dyno has to measure. On extremely high horsepower Drag Racing engines acceleration testing is more appropriate. -
    MR, how do you apply the load to the engine on your dyno.

my engine guy has an Inertia Dyno, in this design he has a fixed weight which is excellerated. the computer reads the time in which it takes to excellerate the weight along with reading all the other info. since it takes torque to move the object, this is timed and thats how you get HP.which it is also my understanding this is how much of the high end endurance builders test engines(nascar).

2. Collapse Details

Looks good Brian!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by skaterdave View Post
    MR, how do you apply the load to the engine on your dyno.

my engine guy has an Inertia Dyno, in this design he has a fixed weight which is excellerated. the computer reads the time in which it takes to excellerate the weight along with reading all the other info. since it takes torque to move the object, this is timed and thats how you get HP.which it is also my understanding this is how much of the high end endurance builders test engines(nascar).
    Superflow use a water brake to apply load.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Mrhorsepower1 View Post
    Looks good Brian!
    Thanks, We have not met each other I have heard a lot about you as we are only a couple hours from each other, I am in SE Michigan 21 miles north of Toledo. Sorry about the SF comment but before I bought the DTS I went to SF and spent 2 days with them and then went out to California and spent time with the guys at DTS. I am not saying SF does not make a good system but at the time they did not offer a docking system and I found DTS's acquisition system easier to read plus the 2000 HP capability without upgrades.

5. Collapse Details

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, just save some time and money. I usually dyno around 20 engines per year. The facility I use is not set up for wet exhaust which results in a lot of extra tuning in the boat. On EFI stuff there is often times where it would be nice to leave the motor on for a couple days to work stuff out. I break in everything on the dyno, even if its only 300hp. Anyone who's spent 40+ hours rigging an engine and installing it in a boat only to find a small leak somewhere knows the value of dyno testing first. Also Jeff, it's not so much the dyno operators experience, it's his tuning ability. I certainly don't know even close to what some of the guys on here do about tuning, but being crew chief for a six second drag car for about seven years now I get lots of practice..

Have a great New years everyone!

6. Collapse Details

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dyno Room 2.jpg   0928091357.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by dykstra View Post
    Whats all the analog looking gage things........... its 2010

8. Collapse Details

I have owned
    a land & sea dyno since around 1996,dual rotor i set it up for what i work on the most 500-800hp marine engines,I set it up to use water cooled exhaust and all the marine hardware so its true marine hp ratings,the brake holds well on sweep and steady state pulls,I pull my water from a 1000 water tank and keep refilling as i am running,during a 30-40 minute break in water will start to get low works great for my purpose,Land and Sea builds dyno to be more affordable than the superflow and dts system and has put a lot of dynos in shops that couln't justify spending the big bucks on the dts or superflow,my set up works great on the 500-800hp range i have dyno 1100 the brake held it but got very hot,with more water volume going into and out of brake could work better on the 1000-1300hp stuff but i really don't work that hp level much
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 011.jpg   005.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Brian41 View Post
    Whats all the analog looking gage things........... its 2010
    It's Peoria, Illinois!!!LOL

10. Collapse Details

save your money and send your engines to those that have done it for years.

www.mefituning.com

11. Collapse Details

Sure I'll just crate em up and send them to you. I'm sure that will save time and money...