Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post
    Leaving ethanol laced fuel in your tanks all winter will definately leave you with lots of liquid garbage come next summer. They fuel with suffer severe degradation, water absorbtion and phase seperation( the alcohol seperates from the gasoline and mixes with the water ) in about 90 days with a relative humidity of 70 percent, never mind 6 months.

Pump the tanks dry.( recommended by most major marine manufacturers including Mercury ) Leave the gas caps open to aid in the fight against condensation. In spring, pump a couple gallons of new gas in and then back out to flush the bottom of the tank(s). Then, fill em with fresh fuel and add some fuel treatment like startron to absorb any condensate water.

Now I have to ask how crappy fuels you got overthere ????
    No need to answer, I have a picture of it...
    If you lessen the air in the tanks the risk of it going south gotta be less than leaving it open, the gas cap is not nearly as sufficient in venting condensation out than providing it.
    Try snorkel diving with a 2+ foot snorkel...
    And pump the fuel out with something else than an Electrically driven pump I hope.

Leaving the gas caps open and empty the tanks so they are full of vapor with an access, plus electricity around, not allowed here.
    All you need to ignite everything is to switch any electrical thing on, ANY.
    In worst case static will even succeed in igniting.
    I wouldn´t personally want to be anywhere near despite what Merc Says and no boat or car will be stored inside any building like that that I have a say in.

And I thought a Molotov Cocktail would be effective but guess I learn new things everyday...
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

2. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdog View Post
    Soo...You can get blind stinking drunk, total your boat and insurance will pay..but, plug a 110v heater in and your out of luck ? I dont know where you heard this but its wrong
    Where I heard this? LOL

My last marina I owned stored 220 boats inside in racks plus about 100 outside. Among other things I was the designated emergency service provider/partner for 4 major insurance carriers including Chubb and Travelers (the big boys in yacht coverage). Whenever there was a major loss (fire, sinking, etc) my crew got the call. I've handled over 100 claims over $1,000,000 in damage. Largest was 7 yachts that caught fire and burned to the water line about 10 years ago in Myrtle Beach. My direct contacts were the head guys at these carriers.

What I am stating is fact. Additionally, if a customer were to sneak a heater like this into a bilge and it started a fire and my facility sustained damage my claim would not be paid. Period.

Do what you want. But what I'm telling is the truth. Thats where I heard this...

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    Now I have to ask how crappy fuels you got overthere ????
    No need to answer, I have a picture of it...
    If you lessen the air in the tanks the risk of it going south gotta be less than leaving it open,
    in days gone by yes BUT, ethanol will absorb ANY moisture it comes in contact with. 90 day shelf life.
    And pump the fuel out with something else than an Electrically driven pump I hope.
    what does the pumping in your car? Electric pump INSIDE the tank no?

Leaving the gas caps open and empty the tanks so they are full of vapor with an access, plus electricity around, not allowed here.

drained and left open, the vapour to air ratio will drop to a level that cannot support combustion in a very short period of time
    All you need to ignite everything is to switch any electrical thing on, ANY.
    untrue. see above.
    In worst case static will even succeed in igniting.only IF the air / fuel ratio can support combustion
    I wouldn´t personally want to be anywhere near despite what Merc Says and no boat or car will be stored inside any building like that that I have a say in.

And I thought a Molotov Cocktail would be effective but guess I learn new things everyday...
    well then, you disagree with SAE engineers everywhere.

4. Collapse Details

I plugged my built in Battery charger today..110 volts..guess I'm not covered....

My friends live on their boat with factory electric heat..{In bilge also}..guess they are not covered....

I read my policy...It's not in there...

5. Collapse Details

The issue with insurance has to do with non-marine rated appliances like heaters on the boat. A marine rated bilge heater or a marine rated battery charger are fine and if they caught the boat on fire it would be covered. But if an adjuster finds a home style heater in your burned out hull, you could be screwwwed.

6. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    have at it. I said my piece.

7. Collapse Details

Empty tanks, then a full fresh load in the spring.

8. Collapse Details

More ethanol (full tank) is just a bigger spongue to absorb more H2O from the atmosphere. Tanks are vented, unlimited supply of moisture all winter long. Less fuel (empty tank) smaller spongue!!