Thread: P1-usa

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    How many P1 boats they have in Europe doesn not mean anything in the great USA. We could eclips them by 10 fold if we ban together.
    MD
    There´s less than ten boats per class in P1 in Europe so not that significant over here either actually.
    Look at the smaller cat classes where the national series of every country racing, every class tops that...
    Offshore Racing wasn´t designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
    What is needed is an on-site propshaft dyno so any engine can be used.
    hhmmm, great idea. dyno motor on site, take weight at the crane and seal the ignition box/rev limiter.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    It can be easier than that. I copied this from the Great Unification thread. page 55 #1094.

It is being considered for here too. There is a procedure for certifying power. The power determines the weight for that boat and power combination. The torque device remains in the boat and output can be verified at any time showing actual output during an event.

Here is what they are going to be using in Powerboat P1 for the 2010 season on all the boats.

This is a torque meter that goes between your engine and the drive unit. (How they would couple to a close couple Bravo I do not know) The pic's are showing it installed upon the Apache pace boat in P1 which obviously has transmissions.

They are going to mandate that every boat use these (don't know if they have to be on one engine both as the rules only require one engine to be sealed in P1 (LOOP HOLE)) to monitor the power the engines are actually producing and then adjust weight accordingly.

This is not new technology. It is nothing but a strain gauge with a sensor that reads the engines rpm and thus the math to hp is found. I remember these about 10 yrs ago at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show in the Michigan Propellers booth (they were the distributor) but now they are going to find their way into a race boat for parity classes in Europe.
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version Name: Start_Boat_Install_01.jpg Views: 12 Size: 104.7 KB ID: 42950 Click image for larger version Name: Start_Boat_Install_02.jpg Views: 8 Size: 107.2 KB ID: 42951 Click image for larger version Name: Start_Boat_Install_03.jpg Views: 7 Size: 99.4 KB ID: 42952

4. Collapse Details

Here are the pix that did not copy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start_Boat_Install_01.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	50612

Name:	Start_Boat_Install_02.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	50613

Name:	Start_Boat_Install_03.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	50614

5. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Great Info. Jim thanks ....

6. Collapse Details

I talked to Ron P about it when he considered the P1 rules. With 600hp aside I would have had to add nearly 2000lbs! I would never even consider that with Bravos or for safety's sake. It would take new motors, high torque/low hp, and six drives plus two pallets of fiberglass. If however, the rules were updated to meet our boat weights and power in the US it would be something to consider. But who am I to tell them how to race.

7. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    can that device tell or be manipulated by differant prop slip #s,,,i understand it measures torque which means it takes a measurment between the power output and the end user,(prop) so if i run 9% with a 30 pitch,lower the x and run 11% with 31 pitch and go faster,???
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

8. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Wahoo,
    At 600hp per side you need to be 9300 pounds....1200 HP X 7.75 pds = 9300

You are @ 7300 pounds now ???

9. Collapse Details

I'm 7950 with a little over 600 per side.

10. Collapse Details

Frank,

Would you make the changes to run the power to weight?

11. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Its easy for us Dean funny u ask just spoke to Smitty about that yesterday... the weight isnt an issue for us, and the motors are out already. For us it would be a win win to turn the horse power down and save the motor. Other teams might need some more but really no one would want to run more then 600 hp, if you do u need to add to much weight and no advantage. Like i said the 600hp gets u to 9300 and i dont think anyone wants to run more then that. If we could get all the V's like the Global Boat and the P Class 1-2 boats and all the super SVU and the OPA SV it could be something pretty cool 15-20 boats. I know double trouble is looking for something new I'm sure he would be in, and I know Billy and Bret would be in. Havent spoke to Dave but i know he is always up for something new.

12. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Like i have said time and again we dont need anyone to tell us what we need to do....If we as racers want it and we get together and put a class together there isnt an Org that is going to say you cant run 20 boat at any given race. The rules are in place already this isnt rocket science, it boat racing.
    I tried last yr but i got a late start and Me and Rich caught up getting the Davis Boat ready so we let it go, I dont have time to do it alone.

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I'll say it again. If they racers wanted to unify this sport, they could do it tomorrow. Banding together has always been the problem.

Not having enough checkered flags is the problem!

Happy new Year!
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    Not having enough checkered flags is the problem!

Happy new Year!

15. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    PETE i think the new P-1 program would fix that,,,have a great new year,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

16. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    I would think a good machine company could build a coupler inside the extension box.

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    From what I have been told and I dont know if this is the system but if it is your crew and the anouncers or who ever you want can see the RPM's and and data live from shore. It could be some great info to watch as a fan. You would know who was lifting more in the turns and what rpm you were running at differant parts of the course. It may be very cool.
    MD

18. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Id like to think some engine co's will jump on board when everything happens. P1 does a good job of regulating hp's and monitoring specs. As long as you dont hide a mechanic in the bilge!! Lol!!! Ilmor has had a great relationship with P1
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

19. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    From what I have been told and I dont know if this is the system but if it is your crew and the anouncers or who ever you want can see the RPM's and and data live from shore. It could be some great info to watch as a fan. You would know who was lifting more in the turns and what rpm you were running at differant parts of the course. It may be very cool.
    MD
    On-board telemetry and cameras would make fans VERY excited. This has to happen if tv time is in the cards i think. It would attract new fans also.
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

20. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Yes, OSS offered a P1 equivalent class last year but no one wanted to:
    a. Send their engines out to our dyno facility.
    b. meet the Power to Weight formula. Most boats had big power and would need to weight more than 10,000 pounds.

You already have Power to weight in every spec class. Vee lite is 540 hp to 4850 or whatever your weight is. Vee is 540 x 2 x 8000, same in Cat lite and on up. What is needed is an on-site propshaft dyno so any engine can be used.

Frank, didn't SBI play around with one of these? Didn't it work?

Why does P1 want to come to the USA? Are they bringing the same fleet from Europe or do they plan to get some US teams to join?

What is the benefit to have P1 at a race site? Are you just looking for a bigger boat count?
    Ron,

That a good question, I think he still does have the dyno. I have only seen it used a few times and from what I saw look like it worked to me.