Thread: apache 3a vs 5

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    apache 3a vs 5
    Does anyone have experience what i can expect when i switch out my 3's to 5's on my 41' apache. (ie. handling, speed), I probably would need spacers. thanks
    Dr. G

2. Collapse Details

Banned
    In the class u gonna race it u need acceleration.....leave the 3 A's on it !!!!!!

Leave the boat the way it is and run it first before u whant to change things...just a little tip.
    Last edited by DAREDEVIL; 12-25-2009 at 10:03 PM.

3. Collapse Details

Wouldnt running spacers on the V's kinda defeat the purpose of running V's over 3A's??

4. Collapse Details

Yep---canīt argue with that.
    In the US allabout acceleration.

Learn the ropes with the boat first, get a feel for it and after that make changes one at a time and keep a record of every test.
    Itīs a slow progress but better that way so you do not end up with a 93mph boat going 78 soon and forgot the notes and changes made while going downhill.

And that goes for everything from camshaft timing to ignition timing and the drives.

You got the speed already dialed in close enough do not mess with it too much and jump with your both feet in.
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

5. Collapse Details

Makes sense, thanks for the great advise. I would cry if i my boat started out at 93 and soon went to 78, ugh.
    Dr. G

6. Collapse Details

Depends on present X dimension. My guess is the transom was cut many years ago to an X that was friendly to the prop selection of the day. So a higher drive height might help. The 5 has the setback box which compensates some for it's shorter height, but not all. My guess is that with the 5's in the 3 holes you're still going to be a bit high. But you can shim down. You can't shim up. With the 5's you'll have the latitude to tune exactly into the sweet spot of speed vs. loss of handling from being too high. With that and a modern set of CNC props, I'd guess there's some substantial gains to be had.

7. Collapse Details

Maybe this picture will shed a little light on the subject....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 600_07_FreeportRun_241_.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I currently have 3A's on the Black Thunder, so I am also very interested in this question.

My thought is that 5's give you a lot more latitude, (similar to 6's), with spacers etc and dialing the boat in would be a lot more exact. With 3's or 3A's you're stuck.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

9. Collapse Details
    Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger 1 View Post
    Maybe this picture will shed a little light on the subject....
    remember this boat weighs maybe 6500 lbs.[no fuel].built to run with 1000 kilo[2200lbs] counterweight in the front....carry on..

p.s..too bad lake X is closed..being that you have merc power the boat would be welcomed.......i was....cya..
    Last edited by Magnum Mark; 12-26-2009 at 06:18 PM.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Has no one out there actually done this conversion? It seems to be easy and make sense......

What about the guys at Cigarette, Apache, Fountain, etc??????

11. Collapse Details

Yeah, if anyone has, would like to know before i make the investment.

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGaryDC View Post
    Yeah, if anyone has, would like to know before i make the investment.
    I think it's time for the Serious Team to do some Serious inquiries around the boating world.....

13. Collapse Details

Sounds like a plan, buddy

14. Collapse Details

Hey Scott, i do appreciate the information. I do have a pair of 5's that i can try (no money needed) but i believe from what i was told wrong gear ratio. Anyway, yes, the boat runs good as is, with the merc 800's. Makes sense
    Dr. G

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Has no one out there actually done this conversion? It seems to be easy and make sense......

What about the guys at Cigarette, Apache, Fountain, etc??????

All of the 90mph Top Guns had Vs {Staggered boats}.....Diff boat, same era...There must have been a reason

I would check with Tres Martin also....He knows his way around setting up Vs
    I bet you will need boxes...

16. Collapse Details

A SSM V is a #4 with big shafts on boxes.

There's nothing to lose on this one. The straight-bottom 41 likes the extension box- note the White Lightning 41. And being able to adjust X while experimenting with props? The absolute worst thing that could happen is you end up in the same place you started. Which is unlikely.

17. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A SSM V is a #4 with big shafts on boxes.

There's nothing to lose on this one. The straight-bottom 41 likes the extension box- note the White Lightning 41. And being able to adjust X while experimenting with props? The absolute worst thing that could happen is you end up in the same place you started. Which is unlikely.
    WRONG !!!!!!!! A #4 is a short version of the #3 and u can get them with a big Prop shaft !!!!!!

A #5 is a thing for its own !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trusst me on this Chris.

18. Collapse Details

Doc hereīs a pic by mobilemercman from another thread here SSM4īs on the side SSM3a in the middle.

Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

19. Collapse Details

You might find this link interesting..

20. Collapse Details

Hey guys, i appreciate everyones input here. As this is a new boat to me, I am not new to offshore powerboats. I grew up on powerboats on the jersey shore and followed apba and npba back in the day. I have driven all types of incredible boats from 27 magnum sports, 12 meter fountains, 40' skaters (141mph) 39' Mti (130mph). I try to be a perfectionist. I want to set this boat up perfectly, whatever perfect is. It will be driven as well as a trailer queen. No beat up, unmaintained, grease bucket here, haha