Thread: apache 3a vs 5

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Just by visual, do they look high or low? We have not measured them yet

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DrGaryDC View Post
    Just by visual, do they look high or low? We have not measured them yet
    take a look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sent you a better 1..too large to post .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 56001.jpg  

3. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    i did !!!!!!
    that you did......i was there with minn gary.......randy says 8 mph with 5s...

4. Collapse Details
    Wink
    [QUOTE=DAREDEVIL;400666]

I want to set this boat up perfectly, whatever perfect is. QUOTE]

IT IS !!!!!!!!
    time will tell.....thank you in advance........

5. Collapse Details

8 mph increase, we would be looking at just over 100mph, wow

6. Collapse Details
    Smile
    in a 26 year old boat that was built to run 80......be careful..

7. Collapse Details

did you get my e mail? post pic if you would...

8. Collapse Details

Banned
    Here is a better pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails transom.jpg  

9. Collapse Details

other then scott and gary how many actual competitors do we have here????????????

10. Collapse Details

Doc.
    What to do If I were you would be take the boat out as it is, learn how to accelerate it and take a time from at least say 1500 rpm up to WOT then maybe try those 5īs and do the same, then think that you got 2.5 mile courses and 4 turns...at minimum.
    At those courses you need them 3Aīs there.

Just like in roadracing the guy with the better brakes is faster per lap than the guy with more horsepower...
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mark View Post
    in a 26 year old boat that was built to run 80......be careful..
    I suggest you leave it like it is too. Don't change rotation, don't change drives. Run it. Maybe try some props. That's it.

That boat was designed to run in open water. Even today in big open water as is it would challenge the newest and latest and greatest.

Remember the old muscle cars? How many of them remain unchanged and not re engineered and ruined. Only the unchanged ones are worth anything now.

12. Collapse Details
    Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I suggest you leave it like it is too. Don't change rotation, don't change drives. Run it. Maybe try some props. That's it.

That boat was designed to run in open water. Even today in big open water as is it would challenge the newest and latest and greatest.

Remember the old muscle cars? How many of them remain unchanged and not re engineered and ruined. Only the unchanged ones are worth anything now.
    got 1 of those as well..anyone interested? nos dont match.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails corvette 66.jpg   vette.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    WRONG !!!!!!!! A #4 is a short version of the #3 and u can get them with a big Prop shaft !!!!!!

A #5 is a thing for its own !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trusst me on this Chris.

Scott, I think you guys are missing the point of what Gary's asking. You are correct on what you say except for the fact that the #5 is a thing of its own.
    The #4 & the #5 both have the same prop shaft height, identical cases other than the original #5 case has some extra webbing in the corners for additional support. You can get a #4 with the #5 prop shaft to accept the #6 prop selection, but the guts are the same as a regular #4 drive.
    What I think he's looking for, is the difference in prop shaft height from a #4 to a #5, and that height is 4". So, if Gary was to put the "surface type" drive on, (the #5's), he'd more than likely need to add the boxes for sure. The boxes have 3 different height holes drilled in them, the middle being standard. Then probably a 1 or 2" spacer would need be added to get the prop back down. It's all trial and error. Mark and I know a guy that put dozens of different engine combinations in a 41 to get it to run solidly over 100, went from 3A's to 5's from 3 bladers to 5 bladers, and he said that nomatter what he tried, it was all a waste of money. Once you're at that triple didget #, it's like you're hitting a brick wall nomatter what you throw at it.

Just my $.02

Frank

14. Collapse Details
    Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by 10x View Post
    Scott, I think you guys are missing the point of what Gary's asking. You are correct on what you say except for the fact that the #5 is a thing of its own.
    The #4 & the #5 both have the same prop shaft height, identical cases other than the original #5 case has some extra webbing in the corners for additional support. You can get a #4 with the #5 prop shaft to accept the #6 prop selection, but the guts are the same as a regular #4 drive.
    What I think he's looking for, is the difference in prop shaft height from a #4 to a #5, and that height is 4". So, if Gary was to put the "surface type" drive on, (the #5's), he'd more than likely need to add the boxes for sure. The boxes have 3 different height holes drilled in them, the middle being standard. Then probably a 1 or 2" spacer would need be added to get the prop back down. It's all trial and error. Mark and I know a guy that put dozens of different engine combinations in a 41 to get it to run solidly over 100, went from 3A's to 5's from 3 bladers to 5 bladers, and he said that nomatter what he tried, it was all a waste of money. Once you're at that triple didget #, it's like you're hitting a brick wall nomatter what you throw at it.

Just my $.02

Frank
    i introduced the doc to that fellow u mentioned frank...i went thru this 17 yrs ago..go doc go ....m.m..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails randy.jpg   maggy...jpg   tb.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

Mark, I love when ya post those good ol' days pics. Mannnn, Tommy sure does look young there LOL. Mikey don't look much older either, and Benny, I wanna say, that's the way I remembered him. Keep up the postin !!! Go Mark Go !!!

Did'nt you have that pic from when I was with Mikey in the dynasoar, we went out to race Gene Bell in that 12 meter Fountain with the Ferrarra motors "Me Bad", and Lois waited for us with you in the 35 red Cig in the playpen ??? She wanted to see the pic I took of you and her in your cig. You still got it ???

16. Collapse Details

Mark, I love when ya post those good ol' days pics. Mannnn, Tommy sure does look young there LOL. Mikey don't look much older either, and Benny, I wanna say, that's the way I remembered him. Keep up the postin !!! Go Mark Go !!!

Did'nt you have that pic from when I was with Mikey in the dynasoar, we went out to race Gene Bell in that 12 meter Fountain with the Ferrarra motors "Me Bad", and Lois waited for us with you in the 35 red Cig in the playpen ??? She wanted to see the pic I took of you and her in your cig. You still got it ???
    in my office..will scan it..

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    Itīs just composite ..can be repaired, just ask Top Bananas opinion
    a 41 apache this lite is still state of the art 26 yrs later...the boat can be repaired but can the operators...have you any experiance with this type of equipment?......doc bought this boat with no sea trial or survey..the boat speaks for itsself..when gary drives this boat he will need plastic surgery to get the smile off his face..ask anyone who has been onboard....m.m..

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mark View Post
    a 41 apache this lite is still state of the art 26 yrs later...the boat can be repaired but can the operators...have you any experiance with this type of equipment?......doc bought this boat with no sea trial or survey..the boat speaks for itsself..when gary drives this boat he will need plastic surgery to get the smile off his face..ask anyone who has been onboard....m.m..
    "Ditto" I'm still smiling !!

19. Collapse Details

Banned
    "Ditto" I'm still smiling !!
    SO AM I !!!!!

But Frank, the #4 has the upper gears and lower gears from the #3 !

The #5 has bigger gears !!!!

On the propshaft u are correct , thats what i said aswell, I HAVE A #4 Bigshaft.

Also the housing is slightly different in the inside to make room for the bigger gears, the lower is even on the outside thats why the #4 has a little less drag !!!!!!

Please Frank,,,look it up and /or trusst me.

How many parts do u need for a #3,4 or 5 , if i don't hve them i can get them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STILL, maybe not for an other 5 years but now !!!! LOL

The driveshaft height difference = 5.6 inches between a #3 ( 3A ) and a #4 ( 5 ) !!

So know u put the bokes on in - 1 , your 4.6 higher ( remember on this Apache it was 3/4 inches below ) So u are 4 inches above

U now add 3 inches ( which is the max in spacers u can go ) u are 1 above the hull ( TO HIGH , even with the notch )

Why i know ,,i tested this more then once on boats with a notch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COX_09KW7307.jpg   2009-07-20-0047-17.jpg   DD on crane 2.jpg  

Last edited by Ted; 01-03-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Per request

20. Collapse Details

There are two posters in this thread that should remember their manners. I did not see where the Doc asked for your classroom brawl imput. Please take your childish fighting OUTSIDE and keep it of Serious or reprecussions will follow.

Consider this a final warning or your fight will be with me.

Doc, on behalf of Serious, I apoligise for your thread being tarnished and will make every effort to clean it up.