Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Buying sight unseen
    Registered
    would you guys buy a boat sight unseen. Ive got a buddy looking to buy a boat in Afton, Oklahoma, pics look MINT, hours are super low, its about 1100 miles one way, to ship it straight here will only cost abot $400-$500 more than the expenses to drive ourselves and get it........ only difference is if we drive we can atleast decide not to buy it...... its a 2001, with 170hrs on merc 500's, one owner, dry storage kept its entire life

keep the "survey" the boat, buy a plane ticket, etc thoughts to yourself, they've all been discussed and are still being pondered, question is buying sight unseen??!!

2. Collapse Details

I bought a number of boats sight unseen and had them surveyed of course.....but I was buying repo's cheap with the intention of turning them once fixed up.

3. Collapse Details

road trip...
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've bought a few sight unseen. They have always been surveyed by a surveyor with very good credentials and reputations though. That's the only way I would consider sight unseen......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    I've bought a few sight unseen. They have always been surveyed by a surveyor with very good credentials and reputations though. That's the only way I would consider sight unseen......

What he said

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    the thing about the survey, (in my opinion) is if your going to worry about a survey, you should worry about it whether you buy it sight unseen or drive all the way there. My buddy and I both carry a pretty good knowledge of boats, as well as common sence, but we arent boat surveyors, we can look to see no cosmetic flaws, and listen to the boat... thats about it.... so to me a survey is mute, you either want one, or you dont

7. Collapse Details

a member on here bought a boat this summer, only to find out later it had sunk at the dock, low hours , looked awesome. I wouldn't buy a canoe without a surveyor.
    Parabellum FJ²B

8. Collapse Details

Personally I'd never buy a boat sight unseen unless you have a surveyor that you've used before that will check out the boat...

I've bought a couple of boats one down in Florida and another in Louisiana, both times I decided to make the trip to personally check them out... I guess I'm the type who likes to check things out and kick the tires so to speak... That way there are no surprises when the boat arrives if I decide on buying it...

9. Collapse Details

Why not ask a member here to at least look at the boat in person, then if you want get it surveyed.

10. Collapse Details

Where is it at? There are several peeps on here from Grand. (Afton).
    I mite be goin the the lake house if the snow blows thru. Is it at Uglys?

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    road trip...

Half the fun you'll have in your whole life is on Roadtrips like this, Do It, Then decide whether to buy it in person, can't blame anyone if you look it over yourself.....

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by boomer35 View Post
    the thing about the survey, (in my opinion) is if your going to worry about a survey, you should worry about it whether you buy it sight unseen or drive all the way there. My buddy and I both carry a pretty good knowledge of boats, as well as common sence, but we arent boat surveyors, we can look to see no cosmetic flaws, and listen to the boat... thats about it.... so to me a survey is mute, you either want one, or you dont
    The point on the survey is "moot"......common "sense"

You should reach out to a SOS member in the area to atleast give you a heads up. I looked at a repo Fountain this summer for a member here just to give him the heads up on the boat. On the boat I looked at the only thing I saw that wasn't good was wet cockpit carpet, soaked cabin floor and ceiling in 100 degree FL summer heat....He ended up buying the boat.

13. Collapse Details

Banned
    That's E-Dock territory. There are a dozen straight shooters right there that probly know everything about the boat, and every one of em are members here.

I'd trust em- post up the info and see what happens.

14. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by jayboat View Post
    That's E-Dock territory. There are a dozen straight shooters right there that probly know everything about the boat, and every one of em are members here.

Good idea

15. Collapse Details

I bought my boat sight unseen. It worked out just fine. Afton is 100% E-Dock territory. Any of those guys would be able & willing to lay eyes on it for you, like others have suggested.

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    see below, double post

17. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    The point on the survey is "moot"......common "sense"
    lets go easy on a guy here, im an engineer, spelling was for the art majors! that said if i do decide to send any "comments to the editor" to my local news paper i'll be sure to run it by you first

Quote Originally Posted by jayboat View Post

its not my boat, im just here for the road trip, and im actually kind of excited for the road trip, i just dont want to waste 3 days of both our time if the boat is mint and someone else can deal with the towing headaches

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Idea Baja View Post
    I bought my boat sight unseen. It worked out just fine. Afton is 100% E-Dock territory. Any of those guys would be able & willing to lay eyes on it for you, like others have suggested.
    its at ugly johns

18. Collapse Details

I bought a boat sight unseen. I felt the guy was honest and upfront about any problems and it turned out he was. It was a 12 hour drive one way and I got a great deal too. I ll bet for every story like mine there are 2 that went the other way.

If its listed somewhere may be show us the add and others can pipe in and know the boat.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by drpete3 View Post
    I bought a boat sight unseen. I felt the guy was honest and upfront about any problems and it turned out he was. It was a 12 hour drive one way and I got a great deal too. I ll bet for every story like mine there are 2 that went the other way.

If its listed somewhere may be show us the add and others can pipe in and know the boat.
    Yeah DP I am one of those 2. Got it home and found that 2 of the drain holes where clogged. I fished around in them and about 10+ gallons of water dumped out. Stringers where shot along with damage going on everywhere else. I just did a drive from NJ to Iowa for a 25 outlaw, Got there and the one side had all the graphics repainted instead of the original gel. I asked the kid and he said it was because it had some scratches. I popped the hatch and the inside was all crappy fiberglass repair work cause the boat took a good hit in the back and he had the guts took look me in the face and say he didn't know about it. Said part is it did sell and someone out there I hope knows what they bought.

20. Collapse Details

I bought one unseen after talking to the guy for weeks and looking at pictures and felt very good about it seemed like a great guy. I used to be a very trusting person and he was a member on oso. Drove there 6hrs and when I saw the boat I was disappointed to say the least, his idea of clean and mine were worlds apart, but I figured Oh well thats just alittle elbow grease cleaning and all the paper work is done so I took it anyway. A few weeks later the chit really hit the fan when I started buffing the bottom and forund it all cracked to hell and things just got worse from then on...............................
    It turned out to be the worse experince of my life.
    Do not by sight unseen without an outside opinion and never totaly trust anyone trying to sell you anything I learned the hard way and it cost me more than I want to go into here$$$$$$$$$$$ the hard part is that I no longer trust ANYONE!!!!!!! and that hurts.