Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here is my best opinion;

Unless you personally know the boat and owner, you get a survey. The only other exceptions are if you can borrow a moisture meter and know how to run it, and have the tools to do a compression check yourself. The cost of rebuilding/freshening one engine or replacing one bulkhead, doesn't make much sense to me compared to a good survey. And I don't care if you do look at it yourself, without those two tests it's a crapshoot in my opinion, unless you personnally know the owner (or his best buds).
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

3. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Here is my best opinion;

Unless you personally know the boat and owner, you get a survey. The only other exceptions are if you can borrow a moisture meter and know how to run it, and have the tools to do a compression check yourself. The cost of rebuilding/freshening one engine or replacing one bulkhead, doesn't make much sense to me compared to a good survey. And I don't care if you do look at it yourself, without those two tests it's a crapshoot in my opinion, unless you personnally know the owner (or his best buds).

exactly

4. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    I bought my current boat site unseen and have been fortunate. But following the "Raise the X" thread in Glassdave's Section, I'd get a survey to avoid any moisture issues.
    •_•_•____•_•_•

5. Collapse Details

I also bought my boat "sight unseen". However, I had several pics and a survey.

I am very happy.

Good luck!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

6. Collapse Details

Survey or see it in person or have an OSO member see it. Unfortunately, I always assume the worst until proven otherwise. That way you lessen the possibility of being burned. There are some great stand up guys out there, but others that aren't and you sometimes can't tell the difference on the phone. There is also the possibility of problems even the owner is unaware of.
    Does dound like a great boat. Good luck.

7. Collapse Details

The problem w/ pictures is you don't know how old they are and thet can be taken at angles to avoid certain spots so you still have to have some trust. I bought my boat sight unseen from a dealer in Dallas. Had a compression check and a survey first then wired the money,the boat was here in Florida about twenty hours later. All I've had to do in the five years since is put on headers and normal maintenance.

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member Edward R. Cozzi's Avatar
    I recently flew out to Spokane, Washington for a guy in Atlanta, Georgia to survey a 33' Eliminator. He saved the time to fly there himself and possibly STILL need a survey. It's cheaper to find a local surveyor, but I had surveyed a Nor Tech for him some years ago and he is very comfortable with me. I take many digital pictures and he had them the next day.

If I can book the flights in advance the cost is not too bad.
    Athiests better pray they're right.

9. Collapse Details

That boat has been for sale a LONG time not sure why.

10. Collapse Details

I bought mine sight unseen... Had it picked up & brought in from Arizona to Ohio, had lots of pics sent, guy I dealt with seemed down to earth. I'm young really really loved the look of the boat, was a great deal @ the time before the boat market & everything else took a dump....

Well my shipper gets there tells me all six tires need replaced "f*ck" I specifically asked 3 or 4 times if the trailer was ready to travel 2k miles was told yes... Now I'm questioning buyin this thing. Well 350-400 miles into bringin it home bearings seize up on rear axle Fing awesome... Driver gets it to a shop takes 3 or 4 days for the shop to re spindle the axle near bearings brakes... Some hillbilly shop only 1 around for hundred of miles, he took me for an arm & a couple toes.... Now I'm thinking I don't even wanna see this damn thing, it pulls in 1st appearence I got F**KED....... Look around & realize the things just so damn dirty, cleaned & gave her a good buffing turned out really really sharp no problems besides impellars, 502 efi's. I was told the motors only had 50hrs on them since rebuilds they look brand new run strong no smoke, no oil burn like most 502's I have read about, but I have my doubts..... I really need to have them hooked up & find out!

I'm super happy with the boat, but will never buy sight unseen again

11. Collapse Details

I would post this in the EDOCK section. I'm sure we have someone who has some info. Be very careful about surveyors up there. There are a bunch of in-breds around the lake and I don't trust any of them anymore.
    Somebody's STUPID

12. Collapse Details

Boats always look great in pics, invest the time and money and check it out

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Spine Tingler View Post
    I would post this in the EDOCK section. I'm sure we have someone who has some info. Be very careful about surveyors up there. There are a bunch of in-breds around the lake and I don't trust any of them anymore.

I bought my Cig sight unseen BUT I had Ed Cozzi survey ad sea trial it for me before I left to pick it up.

Not a problem if yu have someone you trust to check it out for you and a good survey.

Thanks again Ed......

14. Collapse Details

Afton - 20 Minutes away for me. I would peek at it for you if you need it but I have to agree with the mob, SURVEY, SURVEY AND SURVEY!

There is a guy very close to Ugly's that can compression test for you, if need be.

Chad

15. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dated View Post

I bought my Cig sight unseen BUT I had Ed Cozzi survey ad sea trial it for me before I left to pick it up.

Not a problem if yu have someone you trust to check it out for you and a good survey.

Thanks again Ed......
    And......... you had me there.

Anyone has to be NUTS! to not TCB on a boat before buying

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dollabill View Post
    And......... you had me there.

Anyone has to be NUTS! to not TCB on a boat before buying

TCB?

17. Collapse Details

I happen to know a tale of a well known surveyor looking at a boat that he gave a clean bill of health.
    The new owner had the boat go down on him.
    A few others may know the boat - RIP

Check it out for yourself, or just buy it sight unseen.
    What's the difference? There are going to be hidden gremlins anyway.
    That's going to happen even if buying new.
    Only difference between new and used when it comes to boats is on used you pay a lot less, and pay to have the problems fixed, on new, you pay a lot more, and you have a warranty that you wait for the dealer to get around to fixing the problem.
    Either way, you're buying a headache.
    Oh yeah - it's a performance boat... multiply it x4
    That number works pretty well.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    TCB?
    titties , c*nts & butts
    Parabellum FJ²B

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    TCB?
    takin' care of business!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by boomer35 View Post
    would you guys buy a boat sight unseen??!!
    No