Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I had this one

Put the freebie thing in the yard, runs off solar and if the dog wanders too far away from it- ZAP!

Downside is it only worked for about 8K SF (acre is 44K SF for reference) or about 100 feet in diameter. Area is pretty small- smaller than I thought, but worked well none the less.

You could check with an underground sprinkler installer or electrical contractor- they have machines that slice the ground and then vibrate a pipe or wire in to the ground.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zap.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I wanted to post a pic of Cuda's head on Cesar Milan's body... but this is the best I can do:

Cesar says "Don't use a 2X4 or a steel pipe, just hold them by the cheeks!"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cesar_milan.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
    " I had to learn him not to run off. "

That clears it up for me.
    It ort to.

4. Collapse Details

I have the Invisible Fence brand and it's the best money I have spent. My golden never leaves the yard and doesn't even need the collar any more. You can get the training when you buy it and it was well worth it. They had to crank mine up at the start, but he is ok now. He can run the whole yard and it costs only a fraction of a real fence and last much longer.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cuda View Post
    I've had five bulldogs, and they don't feel pain when they are fighting. One I have now ran off, so I was whupping him with an oak branch, so he wouldn't run off and get run over in the highway. While I was whupping him, he bared his teeth at me, so I hit him right between the eyes and broke a two inch piece of oak over his head. I don't think he even blinked!
    That's got to be the most ignorant post I've ever read. People like you should not be allowed to have pets. You should be beat over the head with an oak stick until you bleed out or learn how to treat an animal! F$%K YOU
    Wicked

6. Collapse Details

Had way to many Christmas cocktails and my vision was blurred. (Really) Deleted posts. Jeff

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jwurl View Post
    Had way to many Christmas cocktails and my vision was blurred. (Really) Deleted posts. Jeff
    No Prob...I understand Take care
    Wicked

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wananewboat View Post
    I have the Invisible Fence brand and it's the best money I have spent. My golden never leaves the yard and doesn't even need the collar any more. You can get the training when you buy it and it was well worth it. They had to crank mine up at the start, but he is ok now. He can run the whole yard and it costs only a fraction of a real fence and last much longer.
    We are using the Dog Watch system. Talked to a lot of folks with both, was the most recommended. Took about a half hour to train the dog initially. For the first few months we kept the collar on him, but now we just use it every few weeks as a refresher course..

As mentioned, get a cable installer, or rent a vibro plow and install the cable yourself. VERY simple to setup once the cable is in, and then you can forget about it..

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    That's got to be the most ignorant post I've ever read. People like you should not be allowed to have pets. You should be beat over the head with an oak stick until you bleed out or learn how to treat an animal! F$%K YOU
    This has to be the most ignorant post I have read. I also have a loaded double barrel shotgun to shoot any alligator that lives in the canal behind my house, in case I see one after my lab. Nobody loves their pets more than me, sometimes it has to be tough love. I learned that when one of my dogs ran out in the road at three months old, and got hit by a car. I thought he was dead. I was so distraught I couldn't even give the vet my name. They took one of his legs off, and I still have him 11 years later. If you've never witnessed your dog hit by a car, you have no idea how it feels. I do. You are welcome to bring your own oak stick to teach me a lesson if you want. I'm not going anywhere, and I'm not hard to find. Walk a mile in my shoes before you threaten me, and cuss me. If you want to teach me, I'll be your huckleberry.

10. Collapse Details

People really get emotional about their pets. I loved my dog like a child. It also disturbed me to read the post about beating a dog because I really try to avoid it.

Let's allow this to cool.... rather than escalate guys. It's Christmas.

Cuda, you must understand how your post sounded. It sounded pretty bad.

Let's chill with the threats and the language... all of us... me included. If we were all sitting at a bar together in person we would have called Cuda on his comment and he would have clarified without anyone beating anyone.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

11. Collapse Details

People really get emotional about their pets. I loved my dog like a child. It also disturbed me to read the post about beating a dog because I really try to avoid it.

Let's allow this to cool.... rather than escalate guys. It's Christmas.

Cuda, you must understand how your post sounded. It sounded pretty bad.

Let's chill with the threats and the language... all of us... me included. If we were all sitting at a bar together in person we would have called Cuda on his comment and he would have clarified without anyone beating anyone.
    You are probably right. I don't think anyone would question my love for my dogs. I'm about to go outside and feed them now. I brought dog food home yesterday, and many times, I spend more money for their food than I do on my food. I'll go without food before my dogs do. They depend on me to take care of them, and I consider that to include keeping them from getting run over. Maybe someone has a better idea of how to do it, but like I said, you may not get a second chance to teach them. I live on a dead end street in a small neighborhood. There are only three other houses on my road, but if you see one of my dogs outside, you will also see me. I don't take chances on them getting run over. A few months ago, the garbag man was speeding down my street. The next week, I saw him back down my street, and I pulled my truck out in the street so he couldn't get by. I told him to slow it down when he drove down my road, and I told him why. I don't want to have to take one of my dogs to the vet with a leg hanging off again. I didn't want to call the garbage company, I told him I prefered we keep it man to man. He doesn't speed down my road anymore.

12. Collapse Details

Now, on the subject of a dog baring his teeth at me while I am disciplining him? I would have used physical control like picking him up or pinning him down. Or I would hit it with my hand. Pop on the nose works too, usually. But they need to know that they work for ME. I am not a dog expert or anything...I just like them a lot. But I have had good luck with psychology and even did foster care for a pit bull that I had never met. In that case, I had her brought to my house and then I ignored her until she just HAD to be near me. And at the end of the first day she slowly crawled up and laid down next to me on the couch. Works with women, but to a lesser extent and requires more expensive food. (I am just having fun here people...)
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

13. Collapse Details

Registered
    Now, on the subject of a dog baring his teeth at me while I am disciplining him? I would have used physical control like picking him up or pinning him down. Or I would hit it with my hand. Pop on the nose works too, usually. But they need to know that they work for ME. I am not a dog expert or anything...I just like them a lot. But I have had good luck with psychology and even did foster care for a pit bull that I had never met. In that case, I had her brought to my house and then I ignored her until she just HAD to be near me. And at the end of the first day she slowly crawled up and laid down next to me on the couch. Works with women, but to a lesser extent and requires more expensive food. (I am just having fun here people...)
    I think if you go back and read it again you'll see that the poor dog bared his teeth while he was whipping him. I think theres an easier way to control the dog rather than pinning him or hitting him with your hand; try just stop whipping him.

In answer to Cuda's query regarding having a better way to prevent his dogs from getting run over....heres a thought.....gather up their food dishes and their blankets and stuff that they recognize, throw them all in the truck and drive to the closest animal shelter and give them away.

If you hurry up it will be the first 3 dogs that will believe in Santa Claus.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
    I think if you go back and read it again you'll see that the poor dog bared his teeth while he was whipping him. I think theres an easier way to control the dog rather than pinning him or hitting him with your hand; try just stop whipping him.

In answer to Cuda's query regarding having a better way to prevent his dogs from getting run over....heres a thought.....gather up their food dishes and their blankets and stuff that they recognize, throw them all in the truck and drive to the closest animal shelter and give them away.

If you hurry up it will be the first 3 dogs that will believe in Santa Claus.
    I just fed my dogs.

If you hurry up, I promise to whup you first with an oak branch, but you have to ppromise to clean up your own **** asswipe.

15. Collapse Details

Thanks guys.

Merry Christmas.

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    Thanks guys.

Merry Christmas.
    Merry Christmas.

17. Collapse Details

A bulldog is the most loving and loyal dog you'll ever own. I've got to show them who the alpha male is in this pack. The alpha male is me. When I was whupping Spot, I always make sure he had a way to get away. Every bulldog I've ever owned will fight when cornered. I had a bad problem with Spot and Bandit fighting after Bandit lost his leg. They are littermates, and I picked Bandit the day he was born. I knew who kept Spot and wanted to get rid of him, so I brought him home because I thought Bandit was lonely. That was a mistake. Bandit still thought he was the alpha male (he rolled Spot all over the house when he had all his legs). Bandit is spoiled because he knows I won't spank him because I feel guilty to this day that he lost his leg. When I yell at him to come, he will look at me,and decide whether he wants to come or not. Many times I don't put him in the dog box at the front of the garage, because as far as he will run is to the driveway to lay in the sun. He's usually in the garage laying on a pallet.

18. Collapse Details

I have the Invisable fence Brand System at my house for my Huskie... I swear by it..

Wasnt inpressed with Dog Watch as local dealer is a jack off and my neighbor and good friend is the IF dealer here in Maryland...

Cuda, I have to say I like reading your post at times, not a fan of your training techniques towards animals though!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Misc 08 003.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

I had a Husky too. I rescued him from a neighbor when he was 6. I had known him since a pup, and they didn't care about him so I adopted him and we were best friends. He had to be euthanized in 2003. I have not been able to get another dog yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My%20Misha.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Spicy View Post

Cuda, I have to say I like reading your post at times, not a fan of your training techniques towards animals though!!!!
    I'm not a fan of taking my dog to the vet with a leg hanging either.