Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Looking for an electronic dog fence.
    Need help finding an electronic fence for the dog. He's an 8 month old Basset that we have grown to love as our first family pet. We live in the country and he has a couple of neighbor dogs to play with during the day. Problem is he likes to follow one of them around to areas that we consider too far away from home.

I don't want one that has the wire I have to bury underground as a perimeter. If you would like to take a pick to your driveway and try to bury this wire in it you would understand the type of soil I have to deal with.

I have seen one I like but cannot find it anymore in my searching. It had a transmitter that you plugged in at a central location in your house. This transmitter would transmit a signal about 150-200' and make a perimeter that the dog could not leave therefore eliminating the need to bury wire. Now if I could just find the product again I would be in business.

Buck
    A thong is like a barbed wire fence, it protects the property but doesn't ruin the scenery.

2. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Need help finding an electronic fence for the dog. He's an 8 month old Basset that we have grown to love as our first family pet. We live in the country and he has a couple of neighbor dogs to play with during the day. Problem is he likes to follow one of them around to areas that we consider too far away from home.

I don't want one that has the wire I have to bury underground as a perimeter. If you would like to take a pick to your driveway and try to bury this wire in it you would understand the type of soil I have to deal with.

I have seen one I like but cannot find it anymore in my searching. It had a transmitter that you plugged in at a central location in your house. This transmitter would transmit a signal about 150-200' and make a perimeter that the dog could not leave therefore eliminating the need to bury wire. Now if I could just find the product again I would be in business.

Buck
    like these?

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...less+dog+fence

http://www.petco.com/product/6533/Pe...etco_108897252
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

3. Collapse Details

That's it. I guess the word combination I chose and google weren't yielding the results I desired.

Thank you for the quick response.
    A thong is like a barbed wire fence, it protects the property but doesn't ruin the scenery.

4. Collapse Details

Put a real fence in. Much safer and better in the long run. I have used invisible fence in the past with mixed results. At least with a Basset you will not need a high fence. Short legged but very nice dogs.

5. Collapse Details

I have three dogs, and one ran off tonight. He came back and was scratching at the back door to let him in the garage. I don't want to fence off my waterfront, and the river rises and falls too much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bandit day 1.JPG   bsd dogs beach.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

One thing to consider is the dogs excitement level and pain tolerance. If the dog gets super excited and shoots across the "line" and takes the quick zap in stride and keeps going. I dont really see a Bassett doing this but its still something to consider. Some of the best advice Ive ever gotten on understanding the K-9 mindset has came directly from Birdog. You might want to shoot him a PM he lurks around here from time to time.

7. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    One thing to consider is the dogs excitement level and pain tolerance. If the dog gets super excited and shoots across the "line" and takes the quick zap in stride and keeps going. I dont really see a Bassett doing this but its still something to consider. Some of the best advice Ive ever gotten on understanding the K-9 mindset has came directly from Birdog. You might want to shoot him a PM he lurks around here from time to time.
    My neighbours have an invisible fence a few doors up that keeps in two pit bulls. At first installation one of the dogs would run right through the pain.

The manufacturer recommends training for the dog with regards to the fence. That worked so well that the collars don't even have batteries in them any more
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

8. Collapse Details

My dogs have been trained with sport collars. You use a remote to zap'em...they know where they are and are not supposed to go, but I wouldn't recommend leaving them unattended for long periods.
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

9. Collapse Details

My ex is a professional dog trainer and we used the invisible fence. Works very well. the aspect I like best is is if the cross the boundry it keeps shocking till they are back

10. Collapse Details

I've had five bulldogs, and they don't feel pain when they are fighting. One I have now ran off, so I was whupping him with an oak branch, so he wouldn't run off and get run over in the highway. While I was whupping him, he bared his teeth at me, so I hit him right between the eyes and broke a two inch piece of oak over his head. I don't think he even blinked!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0214.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    My dogs have been trained with sport collars. You use a remote to zap'em...they know where they are and are not supposed to go, but I wouldn't recommend leaving them unattended for long periods.
    I do both. At the house I have the invisible fence and it works great. At the lake I use the sport collar, but you're right, can't leave her unattended....and it doesn't transmitt through the water. If the receiver is on the bottom side of her neck as she swims; it won't shock her & she'll take off to the other side of the cove.

12. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by cuda View Post
    I've had five bulldogs, and they don't feel pain when they are fighting. One I have now ran off, so I was whupping him with an oak branch, so he wouldn't run off and get run over in the highway. While I was whupping him, he bared his teeth at me, so I hit him right between the eyes and broke a two inch piece of oak over his head. I don't think he even blinked!

That is cruel!! OMG!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyb713 View Post
    That is cruel!! OMG!
    Nah, being cruel would let him run off in the highway and getting hit by a car.

I learned that from my uncle in Arkansas. He lived on the side of a busy highway. He had a St Bernard named Sam. Sam was headed towards the highway one day. Uncle Charles was yelling at him, but Sam wasn't paying attention. Uncle Charles took a two by four, and laid Sam out as cold as a cucumber. Uncle Charles said Sam never headed towards the highway again.

Uncle Charles (RIP)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CHARLES DOG [Desktop Resolution].JPG   CHARLES VINES [Desktop Resolution].JPG  

14. Collapse Details

I would suggest a different method of training. Pretty sure the dog didnt associate crossing the highway to getting hit over the head

15. Collapse Details

Damnit Buck, you can't use an invisible fence to keep the kids in the yard!!!
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by drpete3 View Post
    I would suggest a different method of training. Pretty sure the dog didnt associate crossing the highway to getting hit over the head
    Tell that to my hard headed bulldog. He doesn't think I was being cruel to him. That dog loves me more than the other two. He just climbed up next to me on a bench. I had to learn him not to run off. Sometimes you don't get a second chance to teach them. I've trained more than one dog myself.

17. Collapse Details

Registered
    I'm glad you did that actually. I made $20.00.

A friend phoned me and read your post and asked me who wrote it.
    I guessed you right away.

You could make him blink if you used a steel pipe.

Have a Merry Christmas.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
    I'm glad you did that actually. I made $20.00.

A friend phoned me and read your post and asked me who wrote it.
    I guessed you right away.

You could make him blink if you used a steel pipe.

Have a Merry Christmas.
    There wasn't any steel pipe laying around. Good guess seeing how my name is at the top Sherlock.

19. Collapse Details

Registered
    " I had to learn him not to run off. "

That clears it up for me.

20. Collapse Details

I wanted to post a pic of Cuda's head on Cesar Milan's body... but this is the best I can do:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alec_Bush_mission_accomplished.bmp  
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.