Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    30 Velocity Tips/Info
    I have an 89 Regal Velocity. I've had it 4 yrs and still love it. I know you Velocity guys have had this hull in the past, and a few guys are/have raced them.

I have several hull related questions.

For starters what is under the bench seats? Anything...foam floatation?

There is no access to the bilge in the cuddy?

Finally on the inside of the hull there is what looks like a half piece of 4 inch PVC Pipe molded in the hull sides for stiffness? Wandering about what's in there before I drill and rig. The previous owner has already mounted my hydralic steering filter there.

Thanks in advance!
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12-21-09_1815.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

That is a rigging tube. Meant for passing hoses, wires, whatever thru to support them and keep them off the bottom of the boat.

Waht power / drive set up are you planning?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post
    That is a rigging tube. Meant for passing hoses, wires, whatever thru to support them and keep them off the bottom of the boat.

Only if it goes forward too. It butts up against the transom, never seen that before. If it goes forward also then you should find the other end up near the dash and you can run rigging in it.

4. Collapse Details

Yes it ends 6-8 inches before the rear seat bulkhead.
    Thanks for the replys.

I have 454s bores 30 over. Merlin heads w/Bravo drives and Imco shortys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 09-12-09_1734.jpg   08-30-09_1455.jpg   09-12-09_1619.jpg  

Last edited by Underdog88; 12-22-2009 at 09:41 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Only if it goes forward too. It butts up against the transom, never seen that before. If it goes forward also then you should find the other end up near the dash and you can run rigging in it.
    I agree, that looks sorta un stock to me too. I thought it was a wire/cable tube at first but now it looks like it's there for some other reason hopefully not structional reasons. It might be a big joint holder.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post

I've since removed the dash and bolsters and found a similar tube in the Starboard gunnel with rigging thru it, so I guess you may be right

7. Collapse Details

First off, you need a set of offshore-style plate mounts. Those block mounts are useless and will lead to major problems. This was always the knock on Regal- cutting costs. At speed, the Vel30 likes a larger tab. The pad bottom is sensitive to trim height, tab position and prop selection. You don't want a ton of stern lift or it'll porpoise like mad. If you don't have external steering and want to go over 70, get it now. Again, the pad bottom can be twitchy. You take smalll tabs, too much trim, the wrong props and wiggly steering and take it over 80 and I can assure you that you'll be swimming.

Set up right the boats will fly. If you can get 450 hp out of those big blocks, you should see the 90's. I had mine to 113. You don't ever want to go 113 in a Velocity 30.

8. Collapse Details

Underdog where do you boat at?

9. Collapse Details

I did what you are doing now. check out this thread http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/v...-splashed.html Took a while and some $$$ but rides great. I am still playing with props. I am getting 58mph now @3000rpm

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I had mine to 113. You don't ever want to go 113 in a Velocity 30.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

11. Collapse Details

Thanks for the replys guys. My daughter got married New years Eve The weeks has been a blur but, wonderful.

BB28- We are trailer boaters and try to splash at as many different ramps as we can. Our favorite by far has got to be Buckeye Lake. 13 bars on a 3k acre lake. We have lots of frends there Live Music from your swim pad, and dock/sleep at the docks. Check 30Velocity.com it's like our boat card and shows a lot of our road trips.

Andy Speed Freak... The boat looks GREAT! I'd love to pick your brain a while but, for now, What's under the cuddy couches? I might need those 30P props when you're done w/em

Chris- Solid advice I'm looking for...
    >>>The pad bottom is sensitive to trim height, tab position and prop selection. You don't want a ton of stern lift or it'll porpoise like mad.

I have 280K planes I think, about 14 or so inches long? Thought of extending them while there off for PCoating, running stock B1 28s. I don't have much porpus but did w/labed 26s. In fact I think my 2" Imco Shortys are a bit to much unless you are on 1' or less but on the Lake Erie Mogels, I have a hard time keeping props in the water.

>>>If you don't have external steering and want to go over 70, get it now. Again, the pad bottom can be twitchy. You take smalll tabs, too much trim, the wrong props and wiggly steering and take it over 80 and I can assure you that you'll be swimming.

I have a great pic of the transom on another computer... I have Imco Dual Rams and helm. I'd like to find a second removable helm if anyone has one.
    I can't get enough bow lift as it is. I'm hoping a few more HP will get it up on the pad better, otherwise I'm thinking 1" spacers. If I'm in the wind or the right water and up on the pad it's like surfing. I love it! The boat is happy there too. I'm not looking for 113 but mid 80s will be good.

>>>First off, you need a set of offshore-style plate mounts. Those block mounts are useless and will lead to major problems. This was always the knock on Regal- cutting costs. Set up right the boats will fly.

The first year up on Lake Erie with the East Side Crew we ran hard in some slop and bent all four mounts to the stringers. I built new ones with extra gussets and solved that. I did use all new pillow blocks but am aware of there weakness. I have looked at tieing all together with motor plates connected. I looked at offshore mounts at that time but wondered how you could set the alignment?

>>>If you can get 450 hp out of those big blocks, you should see the 90's. I had mine to 113. You don't ever want to go 113 in a Velocity 30.

I should be making that when I'm finished with the heads if not before, but I've barely touched 80 a few times to date. I'm guessing the 750 Ebrocks and Air Gap may be holding me back, but I also put more duration in the new cams. It hit the wall at 5-5200. OK w/that RPM but want to spin a set of 30s or more.

Thanks so much for the replys, your time and the info.
    I just want to take my pleasure boat to a race or two and not totally destroy it. I know it's a potato chip of a hull and am looking at lake races. I've been racing stuff my whole life and just gave up 20yrs of motorcycle drag racing a couple years ago. The itch just won't go away... OPA's P-5 looks do-able.

Thanks
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mag ad.jpg  
    Last edited by Underdog88; 01-02-2010 at 07:06 PM.

12. Collapse Details

Is that you doing a wheely on the TwistedImageCycles web site? If so your crazy or a great rider or both. I have been racing for a while, 50 now, got a turbo busa that I can stand on its ass at 100mph and come down when my balls shrink. Get some clothes on, crazy fukc! I have wiped out at only 25mph and removed slabs of skin. Anyways nice project, any questions call or email me. I live in Sarnia,Ontario Canada, lake Huron and Erie if you are ever down this way give me a call. speedfreak2030@hotmail.com or 519 344-1275 Andy...

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    In the 70 mph range you would be hard pressed to find a better handling boat that is more fun to operate. Once you start going over 80 you best be on your game. 100 you must be crazy.

I have spent countless hours in numerous 30's. Fun Fun!! One of my favorites. It may be sensitive to trim but it carries weight very well and turns great. Once you learn what it likes it is very predictable. Hp to Hp it will match up well against just about anything.

If this boat could talk it share its stories.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Velocity 3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	50836
    Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 01-02-2010 at 10:55 PM.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mobilemercman View Post
    in the 70 mph range you would be hard pressed to find a better handling boat that is more fun to operate. Once you start going over 80 you best be on your game. 100 you must be crazy.

I have spent countless hours in numerous 30's. Fun fun!! One of my favorites. It may be sensitive to trim but it carries weight very well and turns great. Once you learn what it likes it is very predictable. Hp to hp it will match up well against just about anything.

If this boat could talk it share its stories.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Velocity 3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	50836
    mmmm! I think Jim just called me crazy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 99.JPG  

15. Collapse Details

Aligning the motors is easy. You set the plates to the engines, then clamp a pair of fresh pieces of aluminum angle to the stringers. Slide the alignment tool into the gimbal and with the plates c-clamped to the angles, find your spot. When the tool moves freely, drill the angles.

It does sound like your drives are high. Once you start going faster, you'll probabaly find you're running out of skeg. That and tabbing to compensate for wind will cause the rear to slide sideways. Dangerous at speed with that pad bottom.

16. Collapse Details

Here is what I got out back. The prop shafts are a bit higher than the pad. Can't really see in these pics tho...
    Thanks again guys for the info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails outdrives.jpg   transom.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

Speed Freak, I have be dying to get up to Lake St Clair! That is one of the races I want to at least watch or maybe enter next year. I'll look you up for sure. Also, what's under the settes/couches?

That was at a Yamaha Warrior gathering back when I raced for Yamaha. The owner swore you couldn't ride a wheelie on a Warrior. I road one and they all ran for their cameras, i at least put shoes on for the second one Never claimed to be very smart...
    I had to beg them not to post it on their website as Yamaha would not have liked it much so this was what they used.

BTW Speedfreak, I have your contact info so if you want to edit it to keep the junk mail robots away...
    Mark Underwood
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 04wheelie.jpg  
    Last edited by Underdog88; 01-03-2010 at 09:29 PM.

18. Collapse Details

underdog what drives do you have?

19. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Only Bravos w,imco lowers. I am aware of their limitations.

I drag raced most of my 20yr career with no money and less than top knotch equipment. I do whatever I can w,what I have.

Not saying it's the right way, but better than not even trying .

20. Collapse Details

Nothing wrong with that, but you'd better save some of your budget for gimbal helmet upgrades. The stock Bravo isn't all that strong. Losing one at speed... Lemme give you the drag racing equivalent- like using a cast bellhousing on a front engine dragster and losing a clutch. They're your balls- care for them wisely