Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Thanks Chris for your info. Are they too weak for the 75mph class? On smoother water events? What's the upgrade? We just want to get our feet wet.

2. Collapse Details

They just have a habit of breaking- have been the cause of a handful of lawsuits as well. They have been upgraded over the years and the HP gimbal is heavier than the standard one- plus there have been revisions along the way. I'm not the Bravo expert here- someone can definitely tell you about the best upgrades.

I sure wouldn't want to race with a stock one- or put any real horsepower to it.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    It looks like in the pix you shared you have the plastic caps covering the trim pins {horizontal pivots}. Those pins are threaded in to the bellhousing {helmet}. They work loose. The first ones were really prone to failures. I recall a season I think it was '91 were we went through 3 sets of bellhousings. Merc eventually added a SS washer that the threaded pin would tighten against that helped greatly.

The Merc HP ring uses pins where the pin attaches to the gimble ring not threaded into the bellhousing. That is what I suggest you get. You need to buy a bellhousings. Or buy an entire transom assembly. Some times you can find them offered out at a reasonable price. There are after market ones as well.

This pix will show the standard and the HP type.
    http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...Steering+Lever

4. Collapse Details

Grab your skeg and see if you can make it wiggle side to side. If it does most likely it is those pins that are loose.

5. Collapse Details

When the bushings wear, it causes the heads of those inserts to move, which pops the heads off of those tiny #10 retainer screws right off. You'll see old style Bravo helmets with multiple holes and the remains of the broken bolts left in them.

6. Collapse Details

Thanks again for the replys!

MMM>>>It looks like in the pix you shared you have the plastic caps covering the trim pins {horizontal pivots}. Those pins are threaded in to the bellhousing {helmet}. They work loose. The first ones were really prone to failures.

I don't know about the plastic caps... It does have the plugs on the steering shaft where someone did that trick before adding Hyd Steering. The caps on the horizontal pins are the stock trim limit switches??

>>>Grab your skeg and see if you can make it wiggle side to side.
    The drives are off for the winter and hope to check them out too.

Chris>
    I'm only talking about 500hp max but I understand what you are saying, I broke a lot of stuff drag racing people told me I needed to upgrade. I got no money... Just a soon to be retired fireman. I do know sponsorship and marketing, and have a few ideas and contacts for a little help.
    What I have learned is you have to be out doing it before you can ask for any help.

Thanks again!
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11-15-09_1348.jpg   11-15-09_1346.jpg   11-28-09_1532.jpg  

Last edited by Underdog88; 01-04-2010 at 08:29 PM.

7. Collapse Details

Yes, I was calling the stock trim limit and gauge senders plastic caps.

8. Collapse Details

I'll check them out MMM