1. Collapse Details
    Speedmaster III question/problem
    I'm getting a little water in one of my #3 drives. My local mechanic, MGD suspects the prop shaft seal and really doesn't want to mess with it. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Need to send to send it to some one with the tools. Colabella, Bamm, TNT are the ones that I know have them.

Craig Colabella would be my first pick in St Cloud. He is one of the old Lake X techs. 407 498 0094

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details

FYI The hardened shafts in all speedmaster rust. They require extra care. Ideally they get cleaned every time they are used in salt. I know this is not always practical. You should however remove the prop, clean and grease the shaft splines and seal surfaces at once a month minimum IMO.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    FYI The hardened shafts in all speedmaster rust. They require extra care. Ideally they get cleaned every time they are used in salt. I know this is not always practical. You should however remove the prop, clean and grease the shaft splines and seal surfaces at once a month minimum IMO.
    I agree Jim!! I hated the carbon steel shafts on my BMax's as well... same problem... I converted to XR shafts even though they are a little weaker.

You can have the shaft spray welded with SS or ceramic coated around the seal area. We also used to put a stainless steel "speed sleeve" over the seal area.

Jeffro, if you need any drives I know where two of them are... They were refreshed by Speedmasters and have low hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bagger Pics 001.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Thanks for the info. I'll call the # Mobilemercman gave me and get this taken care of.

I have not been pulling my props off regularly. I changed the drive fluids before I towed to KW and one had some evidence of water in the fluid. I haven't checked it since I got back. I did notice the last time I pulled the props off there was some water that was behind the props. I appreciate the advice of pulling the props regularly.

I hope I don't need drives. One is a little lose, I get some oil that pukes out of the vents inside the transom, alittle water in one but other than that they have been good to me.

I appreciate the responses

Jeff

7. Collapse Details

If needed we have all the #3 tools, just did 2 #6 wet sumps.We have the shafts sprayed and either ceramic coated or a tri metal mix. 508-993-5050 pete. Massachusetts.

8. Collapse Details

I would send it to; Jerry Hainey, in North Carolina. He has 2 of my #3 if you need parts or a complete drive. I can get you his phone #

9. Collapse Details

Frank, If I had them hangin on the back I would have to change the name from "Lucky" to "King Me".