Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    racing or top speed???
    Charter Member / Competitor
    After the death of 2 more racers I just have to ask you all. Whats fun to watch at a race event? Is it exciting to watch 15 boats racing WOT at 125 MPH or 3 boats racing at 160 MPH? Would you prefer to see, more racing or exabition runs with exotic boats?
    MD

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    The boats are going too fast. The expectation of it being safe is unrealistic. IMO

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I prefer racing, as for the exotic, Class 1 has rules, and they have minimum 8 boats. This accident is unfortnate, I hope Class 1 takes a good look at what will prevent future accidents like this from happening. and Jimmy is right, running those speeds is running on barrowed time.
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

4. Collapse Details

Competitor
    I watched the video and was a little suprised how long it took medical to get to them. I didnt see any divers jump it just looked like the med. boats. That might be something they might want to look at???

5. Collapse Details

I'd rather see 25 boats at 80MPH

6. Collapse Details

They were dead ON IMPACT. The time factor would not have helped them IMO. To fast for the safety tec. of the day. I dont want to get off topic. More racing or speed.
    MD

7. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Like it or not the fans come for he big show and thats what draws.

8. Collapse Details

That crash was supposedly around 120. So slowing down the boats isn't the answer.

The two most recent incidents here in the states with a cat going over and crew getting hurt were well below 120, one well below 100.

How about teams invest in the safety of their boats instead of worrying about tow rigs, pit partys, motorcycles, cars, cool paint jobs, matching uniforms or any of the other things that come before spending money on a quality canopy, windscreen, hinges, handles, seats, etc and making sure their boat is actually built correctly?

The knowledge, technology and parts are out there, they just cost money.

As far as the question, the fan in me wants to watch the big boats go fast.

9. Collapse Details

Mark Im with you more boats at slower speeds racing. If some flash teams want to come out and do 1 or 2 hot laps for the crowd to display there boats with a wow factor then we can set up a exabition lap between races. Those boats are realy cool and a crowd pleaser but have no business racing at those speeds. NO more deaths please!!!!!
    MD

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    That crash was supposedly around 120. So slowing down the boats isn't the answer.

The two most recent incidents here in the states with a cat going over and crew getting hurt were well below 120, one well below 100.

How about teams invest in the safety of their boats instead of worrying about tow rigs, pit partys, motorcycles, cars, cool paint jobs, matching uniforms or any of the other things that come before spending money on a quality canopy, windscreen, hinges, handles, seats, etc and making sure their boat is actually built correctly?

As far as the question, the fan in me wants to watch the big boats go fast too, but the side by side racing is the show! IMHO
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

11. Collapse Details

I don't follow racing closely at all but more boats at less speed would be great......how many of us have seem those little 19 ft outboard boats racing around a true ocean course thinking they are nuts.....over a dozen boats within a 1/2 mile of each other!! For me it's the competition, not the speed.

(admittedly boats running 50 wouldn't be real interesting but, something just north of 100 is still exciting.

12. Collapse Details

Sean, isnt 125 MPH fast?? You just stated that people are still getting hurt at under 100 MPH. Slower is safer,cost less and will keep more teams in racing due to less cost at that level.
    MD

13. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    The reality is that anything over 100 mph is most likely fatal, whether it's in a race boat or a pleasure boat. I know that every time I see the dial approaching 100 and beyond I say to myself I know if ANYTHING goes bad right now I'm prob dead. But thats a choice.

I think everyone should do whatever they want and run as fast as they want and understand the risks. If someone gets killed they know the program. It's tragic, but we all do this by choice.

14. Collapse Details

You want to see some good racing, go get a freeze frame video from 2002 and watch a Factory 1 class race at 80 MPH. Check out the Marathon race.
    MD

15. Collapse Details

Terrorist have a choice but I dont want them on my race course. Im not trying to save the world. Death is final!!! Go do it on your own time in the bay. There must be reason why NASCAR limitts there speeds. Im pretty sure they could go a lot faster.
    MD

16. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post

As far as the question, the fan in me wants to watch the big boats go fast.
    Sean,

That is an excellent point, and there are a lot of teams out there that could do a much better job keeping up on there equipment. I know first hand this yr. stepping it up to 120/ 130 MPH you have to be on your game. You also need to have the best equipment u can because it will save your life for sure.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    Sean, isnt 125 MPH fast?? You just stated that people are still getting hurt at under 100 MPH. Slower is safer,cost less and will keep more teams in racing due to less cost at that level.
    MD
    You can't race a big cat with a top speed of 125, I think you will see the reverse happen, teams will leave (race other orgs, start their own, etc).

How about making some rules and enforcing them, not just safety guidelines?

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRacing View Post
    Sean,

That is an excellent point, and there are a lot of teams out there that could do a much better job keeping up on there equipment. I know first hand this yr. stepping it up to 120/ 130 MPH you have to be on your game. You also need to have the best equipment u can because it will save your life for sure.
    Exactly. You can stand at the cranes and watch boat after boat go in the water with equipment we all have seen fail on other boats. It baffles me.

If everything we knew was going into the build of the boats and this stuff was still happening, I probably would agree more with slowing the boats down. That is not the case though.

19. Collapse Details

What specific rules are you talking about?
    MD

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TYPHOON View Post
    What specific rules are you talking about?
    MD
    canopy/windscreen/mounting/cockpit/bulkheads/seats etc...

you can't go race in the top tier of any enclosed motorsport without set safety standards and rules, not optional guidelines.