Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    here are some mock up pics... I don't have any final pics on this computer. Even this is going to be slightly revised in the re-rig over the winter.
    One question is this hatch flat?
    If yes why as a bent one is sturdier, right ?
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    One question are this hatches flat?
    If yes why as a bent one is sturdier ?
    They are curved (front to back and side to side). The angle just doesnt show it.

This canopy proved to be one of the best out there, the new one will be even better.

3. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    What i remember about 2003 St pete, was 10 supercats into the first turn 8 came out! Reliable spun, ripped a sponson off, and slashed the entire length
    of JEM putting both out of the race. I can only say luck was on thier side, because it could have been a lot worse. in 2006 OSS Cat Lite 10 boats ft myers, and lots of bumping going on. when and if those classes ever get like that again, better be some good driving and even better judgement on the course. when there are 6 plus boats racing for the first turn at over 100, odds are something will happen in the course of a season. This is why SAFETY is paramount, being fit for racing is a must.
    Here ya go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boat crash 1.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    They are curved (front to back and side to side). The angle just doesnt show it.

This canopy proved to be one of the best out there, the new one will be even better.
    I figured it should but had to ask to be sure.

Looking forward to the pics!

Is that canopy by chance a swedish design, the same they use for the US Navy?
    If yes thereīs some lively discussions about them over on the Swedish boards.
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
    One question is this hatch flat?
    If yes why as a bent one is sturdier, right ?
    Theoretically a curved structure is stronger than a flat structure. In the event of a direct impact only a small portion of a curved piece takes the entire hit, while allowing the rest of the structure to absorb/ dissipate the energy. Hence he archway you see in many bridges, doorways etc.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    Theoretically a curved structure is stronger than a flat structure. In the event of a direct impact only a small portion of a curved piece takes the entire hit, while allowing the rest of the structure to absorb/ dissipate the energy. Hence he archway you see in many bridges, doorways etc.
    or Volkswagen Beatles...

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    or Volkswagen Beatles...
    A true engineering masterpiece! While there were upgrades in design it remained the same basic car for decades. I can't think of another car with as big an aftermarket parts selection. From dunebuggies to dragster, people turned them into almost anything. Not much on a bug you could destroy that couldn't be fixed with the most basic tool kit and $300. If you did manage to do more damage, you could always turn it into a bajabug, toss on a fiberglass manx body or scrap the body and use a tube frame.

8. Collapse Details

A true engineering masterpiece! While there were upgrades in design it remained the same basic car for decades. I can't think of another car with as big an aftermarket parts selection. From dunebuggies to dragster, people turned them into almost anything. Not much on a bug you could destroy that couldn't be fixed with the most basic tool kit and $300. If you did manage to do more damage, you could always turn it into a bajabug, toss on a fiberglass manx body or scrap the body and use a tube frame.
    Top contenders for that spot would be 69 Camaro...new bodies can be had even... the 28-34 Ford V8 Rods.... Cobras.... what else...

9. Collapse Details

I know Iknow..I just gave politely some leeway to answer as Iīve been criticized to be the know it all recently on the board even
    Seems you know a lot more of Beetles than I do. Also Bikes arenīt my true forte or Ichehockey for the matter..despite having family friends who has been in NHL.
    I know quite a lot of boats in general..even sailboats and treeboat, engines, not transmission, drives or props, Im electrically inclined, I donīt know Sqaut about American Football but love it, same goes with baseball.

So I have a lot of stuff I do not know... but what I have studied in the uni of physics math and chemistry I remember a bit.

10. Collapse Details

Hence he archway you see in many bridges, doorways etc.
    Masts and sails...

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This thread got off target a bit...

I'd rather see deck to deck racing. I also believe the NASCAR example of taking over the US vs Farmula 1 or Indy has proven that most fans feel the same in this country.

That being said, a high speed spectacle, such as LOTO every year, also shows a huge following for the high speed, large boat, demonstrations. A race with every turbine cat running well would be extremely exciting. But I worry about those guys at those speeds very time they're out there. At the speeds they are running, a flip in a sweeper or straight would not be anything I would ever want to witness.

I believe the Amsoil Cat, and the class they spec into, is as good as it gets. Maybe the old SuperCat class was top of the heap for what I've witnessed. I believe there were 13 in Key West in 03. Then an engine rule change destroyed that class, just as those same types of changes have destroyed every top competition class up until now (in my estimation).
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I like to see deck to deck.. The thing is some teams just want to stand out. If they race in a big class that doesn't always happen. So they reach for the top and avoid the heavy competition. Now there are nearly as many extreme classes as others. The worst part is the fans get awe struck and the modest classes with the heavy competition get lost at the circus. Oh well.

13. Collapse Details

with the classes.. I can invision a break down like this working.. you have your

P classes
    SVL
    SV
    Diet Cat..cat lite whaterver you call it..
    Big Cat
    Turbine.

2 day race weekend. Sat. morning test. Sat afternoon 2 races, bottom half of P class then top half of P class
    Sunday midday, 2 races, SVL and Diet Cats, second race, SV, Big Cats and Turbines.

This is holding in my mind (though many would probably disagree) that P class is entry level, meaning that you get your feet wet and learn to race, With apsirations of moving beyond GPS racing to deck to deck racing.

Not only would this keep racing challanging (if you have been racing in the same P# class for years and winning, it's time to step to the next level) It would also grow the sport as people moved from P to svl or diet cat, those P boats would be available for new guys to move into the sport or to move up P levels.

It would also provide the venue with 2 days of racing on the water.

14. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    your in big trouble now Rob!!!!!
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post

<Maybe the old SuperCat class was top of the heap for what I've witnessed. I believe there were 13 in Key West in 03. Then an engine rule change destroyed that class, just as those same types of changes have destroyed every top competition class up until now (in my estimation).
    Nope. Boycott then the genuises at OSS destroyed it. OK, back to regularly scheduled programming.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    your in big trouble now Rob!!!!!
    What else is new??? I'm kind of used to being in trouble.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I like to see deck to deck.. The thing is some teams just want to stand out. If they race in a big class that doesn't always happen. So they reach for the top and avoid the heavy competition. Now there are nearly as many extreme classes as others. The worst part is the fans get awe struck and the modest classes with the heavy competition get lost at the circus. Oh well.

Me too.

Why not put on P classes a mandatory top rpm limit, maximum pitch prop or gear ratio and forget about the gps?
    Regarding extreme classes, think a spectator can easily make a difference in those?
    I could easily also mistake P1 boats for other classes myself.

18. Collapse Details

It would also provide the venue with 2 days of racing on the water.
    I would like to see every class race at least one race a day just like in other forms of motorsport running a championship series as offshore doesnīt have a starting grid to qualify for on saturday.

Regarding dominant P racers, If thatīs how much they want to spend and not more then itīs up to them.

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is holding in my mind (though many would probably disagree) that P class is entry level, meaning that you get your feet wet and learn to race, With apsirations of moving beyond GPS racing to deck to deck racing.

Not only would this keep racing challanging (if you have been racing in the same P# class for years and winning, it's time to step to the next level) It would also grow the sport as people moved from P to svl or diet cat, those P boats would be available for new guys to move into the sport or to move up P levels.
    P classes are more for the guys who do not have the travel time, or wallet depth, to travel a circuit so they can have a "part-time" race boat or race local events only. In several cases it's also their weekend pleasure boat.

I personally think it is an outstanding venue and the classes just need a little tweaking for standardization between the orgs. OPA's obviously is well received based on the boat counts.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

20. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post

I'd rather see deck to deck racing. I also believe the NASCAR example of taking over the US vs Farmula 1 or Indy has proven that most fans feel the same in this country.

That being said, a high speed spectacle, such as LOTO every year, also shows a huge following for the high speed, large boat, demonstrations. A race with every turbine cat running well would be extremely exciting. But I worry about those guys at those speeds very time they're out there. At the speeds they are running, a flip in a sweeper or straight would not be anything I would ever want to witness.

I believe the Amsoil Cat, and the class they spec into, is as good as it gets. Maybe the old SuperCat class was top of the heap for what I've witnessed. I believe there were 13 in Key West in 03. Then an engine rule change destroyed that class, just as those same types of changes have destroyed every top competition class up until now (in my estimation).

An engine rule and tight specs is what made Supercat. What broke it was there is always one or two guys (usually newbies) who will temporarily spend whatever and they like to change things to price the others out. They exit the sport and leave a big mess.
    Steve