Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing View Post
    I am sure Mike can correct me, but in St Pete 03 I remember 10-15 750 Cats racing, then Mercury gave someone 5 votes and decided to discontinue the 750 and release the 850. How many 750-850 boats are out there now(that race on a regular basis)3-4?

The bottom line is Mercury has affected all of offshore racing(big and small), but now that they dont have any vested interest or sponsorship monies to any race group, what do we do now?

Frank, in the pits your right, the big boats are the show, on the race course however, they have a tendency of spacing out too far, or basically blowing up and when your a dope on a rope, thats not too much of a show. Last time someone told me that people were there to see the "big boats" I decided to run side by side with a P5 boat and the both of us made the front page of the paper the next day, not the big boats that this particular someone told me everyone was there to see. If memory serves me correctly , you made the front page of the Miami Herald or the KW paper in 05 worlds as you were pictured running side by side with TKO and LaveyCraft. In Deerfield 03, I will never forget you running down the dock telling Bruce and I how great a "show" that we put on with Pitman Photo, "It was the best race out there", you said. We were on the course the same time that Bacardi Silver, Snack Attack, etc were. COMPETITION is the show, whether it is a big boats or a small boats, side by side racing is what the people want to see. Funny thing, I remember when you were one of us small guys, you always used to say"We are the show" Dang you go and get ride in a big boat now and your attitude sure has changed lol
    You are exactly correct.

We actually inteded to have what is now called 750 Supercat to use a low cost year long not unlike the 850 engine. We actually did a powerpoint with Mercury Racing suggesting a detuned 1075 ECM that was only available on race day and testing. The boats could pleasure or poker run as 1075 however or whenever they wanted.

When we put out the bid the 1075 was not shipping yet. Sterling was highly agressive and won. Suddenly mercury disliked the idea and the 850 debate was set to begin as soon as they had product.

I like the 850 plan but not without buy in from the fleet.
    Steve

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sean H View Post
    I would agree with that. I am talking Superboat/Supercat and under speeds. Not unlimited/turbine speeds.
    Agreed
    Steve

3. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Sean,

What speeds does the 750/850 class run in race conditions.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRacing View Post
    Sean,

Smooth races, it can be in the mid 140's, most other races, 125-135.

We are in the midst of taking off the deck to replace it with an entirely new deck/canopy/cockpit/windscreen system.... and we probably already had one of the better ones out there. This one will be much better. You can always improve.

Also looking at other areas as always; hardware, hinges, handles, seats, mounts, air, emergency lighting etc....

for the same (or less) money as a tilt trailer or a nice paint job we are going to step up the safety a notch or two first. Although the tilt trailer would be nice too.

5. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Sean,

Is Doug Wright doing your new deck?? Sounds like a good move money well spent.

6. Collapse Details

yes, Doug is building the new stuff.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRacing View Post
    Sean,

There really is no sensible reason to race faster than that.

8. Collapse Details

We are in the midst of taking off the deck to replace it with an entirely new deck/canopy/cockpit/windscreen system.... and we probably already had one of the better ones out there. This one will be much better. You can always improve.

Also looking at other areas as always; hardware, hinges, handles, seats, mounts, air, emergency lighting etc....

for the same (or less) money as a tilt trailer or a nice paint job we are going to step up the safety a notch or two first. Although the tilt trailer would be nice too.
    That is exactly what every team should be doing. Maybe not the entire system but, a constant stride toward improving all the little things add up. Like the lighting, hinges hatch hardware ect..

9. Collapse Details

the divers do that here too, but asking how to open hatches is a moot point if that hatch isn't going to be there when the diver gets there.

I have seen boats replace the part that failed with the exact same new part. Makes ya wonder.
    Well if the hatch has flown away it makes the divers job even easier...
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

10. Collapse Details

It would be nice to see exactly what you are using. Most of us can't replace the deck but some of the other items could be do able.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    It would be nice to see exactly what you are using. Most of us can't replace the deck but some of the other items could be do able.
    I will start a thread after Christmas once the carbon dust is flying.

There will be plenty of before and after shots. Like I said, we are starting with a pretty good one, but like everything else, it can be made better.

12. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar

knowing Geico can go much faster,,they don,t race much faster then that, at the worlds their average speed for the week was only 1 or 2 mph over the cats.Scott B uses his head.not ego.
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

13. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    That is exactly what every team should be doing. Maybe not the entire system but, a constant stride toward improving all the little things add up. Like the lighting, hinges hatch hardware ect..
    jimmy i agree with that , you know i run a easy latch system,,but we have no lighting ,,,lets put it in, find us a system,,great idea.
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

14. Collapse Details

First and foremost, RIP Mohammad Al Mehairi and Jean-Marc Sanchez.

About the top speed vs racing, I am with Sean on this. I enjoy seeing the limits of technology pushed. It is sad though when proven safety technology is not used. Look at the top fuel hydro's, or the unlimited hydro's. They have safety technology that seems to work well, although it can't always be 100%.

15. Collapse Details

Lighting?

Like a strobe or what do you mean and pics of hinges ?

What we use is ordinary latch hinges with the pins changed to locking pins so if someone from the outside need to open the hatch just pull them and open unless he canīt open it from the outside like supposed to.
    We use big rig tarp rubber straps which are pulled thru a hole in the hatch.
    Can be pulled open the opposite way and still keep the lid down at speed, rattles a bit and isnīt completely waterproof ( both issues can be fixed ) but gets the job done.

Version 1 (Side by side canopy)

Version 2 ( Tandem)

After a flip "test" @ 100mph (less than one hour in the water with the new boat) with the strap so the pullhandle is outside. Note the split hull and the mat outside on the deck joint.
    Last edited by MikeyFIN; 12-13-2009 at 06:45 AM.
    Offshore Racing wasnīt designed to be a spectator sport, it's for people or companies with's lots of money to push the envelope of endurance technology and hopefully put a trophy on a mantle. It's man vs the elements, not like boats with like engines running in circles.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    jimmy i agree with that , you know i run a easy latch system,,but we have no lighting ,,,lets put it in, find us a system,,great idea.
    George what we use is glow sticks. Red on the air green on the door. They are very bright and reliable. Richie Powers told me how dark it was when gentry rolled and his struggle to find his regulator. We decided on glow sticks because fixed lighting will show you where air should be. A glow stick on the reg show's you where it's at. In 9 years we have never had one not last hours more than the race.
    Steve

17. Collapse Details

I like the light on the air line. I usually tucked mine in the chest strap and lay it in my lap. Having it lit as well is better yet.

Thanks Steve

18. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Thanks Steve that is a good idea , where do you get them??

19. Collapse Details

I like the light on the air line. I usually tucked mine in the chest strap and lay it in my lap. Having it lit as well is better yet.

Thanks Steve
    Thats how I keep it too.
    And yes It is dark under there.

20. Collapse Details

http://glowproducts.com/glowsticks/

Probally not where Steve gets them, but this site offers different sizes/colors and options
    www.tntoffshore.com

"El Racing boat es una pasion que se lleva en la sangre"